Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal. I'm thinking about wishing myself happy birthday/ merry christmas with a new bike. I've got most of the parts, just need a frame. I'm thinking about a hardtail, preferably steel, though I'll consider Al as well. I'm looking for something along these lines:

23.75-24" ETT
<=16.5" CS
~17-18" ST
12.25-12.5" BB height
~68 HTA
SS or geared compatible.

It'll probably start off as a 1X9 with a 36 Vanilla that I'll chop down to 120-130mm. Since I've got the fork, but haven't lowered it yet, I can be a bit flexible there. I don't want the full 160 though. This bike is going to fit somewhere between my XC race bike and Bottle Rocket. It won't be babied, but the BR will take the real abuse, so it doesn't need to be totally bombproof either. Lots of technical singletrack riding with a few smallish jumps and drops. Nothing huge.

The Transition TransAM looks like a good choice, but I'm exploring other options as well. I'd really like a Sovereign, but finding a used one is a challenge, and I'm not going to be able to afford the rerelease version that is rumored to be on the way. Chromag has some gorgeous bikes, but again, I'm too poor for that. I'm up for used, new, whatever, so long as it's not too expensive, since my budget is somewhat limited. A Chameleon is also a distinct possibility. I'm also considering a MC Rumble.

Anything you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Anyone who's trying to sell a used Sovereign? Please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
I said it over on Ridemonkey and I'll say it again here - look at the Dialled bikes Alpine or Prince Albert. Good value in those frames IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're nice looking bikes, but the geo just doesn't seem quite right. Both are a little on the high side BB wise, especially the Alpine, and the Prince Albert is kinda steep. I'd also prefer some sort of provision for SS use, which they don't have. I appreciate the suggestion though.
 

·
yelgatgab
Joined
·
459 Posts
I just ordered a Dialled Alpine. It's a Xmas present, so I don't actually have it yet, and obviously haven't ridden it. I was looking for the same thing as you, and it fit all my criteria really well.

I'm not sure if the pricing has gone back up, but when I ordered, the Alpine and PA had been reduced a little bit. They have a location in NC now, so it arrived in less than a week. Mike is crazy good about responding to emails. He got back to me in a couple hours on Thanksgiving day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
For alum. I would get a Soul Cycle Icon. 23.6 TT, dont know how that works for you

About the Geo on the site:

The frame is built around a 100mm fork at 20% sag. This translates to a 455mm axle to crown measurement. A pike would work great. Even a fork at 140/150mm will work. The issue is that the head angle opens up to around 66.5 when you get into the 150mm range. None of these forks will void the warranty.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,499 Posts
el_chupo_ said:
For alum. I would get a Soul Cycle Icon. 23.6 TT, dont know how that works for you

About the Geo on the site:

The frame is built around a 100mm fork at 20% sag. This translates to a 455mm axle to crown measurement. A pike would work great. Even a fork at 140/150mm will work. The issue is that the head angle opens up to around 66.5 when you get into the 150mm range. None of these forks will void the warranty.
13" bb with a 4" fork is a pretty freakin high BB.

I think the NS society is the ticket, although i've never seen one in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
scottzg said:
13" bb with a 4" fork is a pretty freakin high BB.

I think the NS society is the ticket, although i've never seen one in person.
Truth, on both accounts.

Plus, its about 250 cheaper than a Transition at CRC. Large should fit your bill...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
I can dig it. There are a lot of great options out there, but if you know exactly what you want, most of them seem to be lacking (or overkill) in one area or another. I could make you a list of what I don't like about every frame thats currently available.
:rolleyes:

One thing thats important to me is tire clearance. With no rear suspension, I want to be able to run a 2.4 minimum. That rules out half the bikes in this thread. Also, watching the fork lengths the geometries are based off of... some of the published numbers are pretty misleading.

Evil had a few NIB soveriegns left for $850 last time I checked (september). The new tranny does look really good. I finally decided on going with a custom curtlo, at $825, pretty cheap to get exactly what I want! But of course that involves a lead time and communication process that you don't have to deal with if you buy a production frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FM said:
I can dig it. There are a lot of great options out there, but if you know exactly what you want, most of them seem to be lacking (or overkill) in one area or another. I could make you a list of what I don't like about every frame thats currently available.
:rolleyes:

One thing thats important to me is tire clearance. With no rear suspension, I want to be able to run a 2.4 minimum. That rules out half the bikes in this thread. Also, watching the fork lengths the geometries are based off of... some of the published numbers are pretty misleading.

Evil had a few NIB soveriegns left for $850 last time I checked (september). The new tranny does look really good. I finally decided on going with a custom curtlo, at $825, pretty cheap to get exactly what I want! But of course that involves a lead time and communication process that you don't have to deal with if you buy a production frame.
Yeah, I'm with you there. There's not a single frame out there that I see as exactly what I want. I'm getting tempted to wait a bit, save up, and get a custom frame built. At the kind of pricing you got on your Curtlo, that seems very tempting.

I'll also look into those Sovs. Thanks for the lead on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
I saw you mentioned a MC Rumble.
I've owned a few. It's a great frame with do it all geometry, good build quality, and excellent customer service.

I have tried a bunch of parts / fork (120 -160mm) combo's. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

If you want steel on a budget look into the On-One 456.
 

·
MTB SOCAL
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
I just recently went through a similar decision-making process. I had my choices narrowed down to:

Cotic BFe
Dialled Bikes Alpine
Sinister Ridge

My first choice was the Cotic, but it was not available in my size until Spring. So, I ended up getting an Alpine. So far, the Alpine has been awesome.

Good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top