Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on my 2010 GF Marlin HT 26er for a year now. I've learned very fast the ways of XC riding. I've upgraded from the RockShox Dart 3 (pogo stick!) to a Manitou Drake and replaced the v-brakes with BB-7s. It's a decent ride now but still rough. Although most of the singletracks in my area are smooth and fast and I'm picking the best lines, I'm getting tired of having my rear end pounded. So I'm looking to go to a FS bike.

Talked to several bike shops in my area and they all recommend 29ers for the trails here. Maybe they're just trying to sell me a more expensive bike but 29ers are marginally more expensive than a comparable 26er so I am going to believe them.

One shop here has a 2011 Giant Anthem X3 29er that they were recommending. Their list price is $2400 (which is MSRP I believe) and are doing 10% off because it's last year's model. OR I could buy their test bike X3 for 20% off. I personally rode the test bike around the lot and inspected it and it looked new except for a little dirt on the tires. They said it had been ridden for maybe 6 hours. That would put the test bike at $1920. I can pay $50 to test ride the bike for 24 hours and if I buy it within 30 days, that $50 goes to the price of the bike. That brings it to $1870. If I can persuade the shop to do $1800 out the door, is this a good deal?

And in general, what are people's opinions of this bike? <$2000 is my price range, what else should I consider?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
sounds like a steal to me, you will like it i have a X 1 but still ride a marlin on occasion no comparison obviously, adjusting to 29er will be easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Did you notice a difference in the handling? I've heard that you need to enter corners earlier on 29ers.

How much do you think I could sell my Marlin for? I got it for around $700 and have put roughly $350 of upgrades into it. I'll probably ask $700 and work down from there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take 1800 cash [no credit cards] in and plop it on the table and tell them thats all you got and you want the NEW one for that price out the door. They are still making money. I have friends that have bought new X3,s for 1700 + tax. No BS

One of the best 29er FS bikes you can buy. You might want to upgrade the wheelset,bars,brakes when you can afford it. Awesome frame, and Fox suspension on the 2011 X3,s

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bet that will certainly make a statement. What shop can resist cash right into the register without those frustrating credit card user charges. I have nothing to lose, really!

I have a set of BB-7s on my current bike. Would it be worth swapping the Elixers that come with the X3 for the BB-7s? Or are even the Elixers better than BB-7s because they're hydraulic?

I do hear the wheelset on the Anthems are quite porky. Good point about replacing those.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have seen a lot of X1 wheelsets for sale you can probably pick up cheap. I still have mine but dont use them. as far as differences, I have a 2007 marlin (I think) and the handling is much better at slow speeds than the marlin. But i also have 29er HT so hard to compare overall just ride the piss out of it you will be fine. Not sure what you meant by entering corners sooner? In general l think both my 29ers hold a better line but they seem morew capable of being leaned without losing traction so it is idfferent but just takes a rdie or so to get use to.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
one other thing i have bb7s on my Marlin two i dont think i would switch compared to the hydrod i have most used (XT and elixr CR both good brakes)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought a 2011 X1for 2800. Sticker was 3550. It was a toss up bewteen that or a left over 09 pivot mach 429 with late 2010 xt/xtr. I had my heart set on the pivot for a few years and asked eveytime i wnet in if the price went down. So needless to say it went from 4699,4100,3600 and i was all set to grab it then i took the anthem for a ride. All that blue ano gave me wood and it felt every bit as stiff as the pivot. this is my first 29er. I have an 07 stumpy comp 26" and an 08 enduro expert right now and i can say that my enduro has served me well but will be cleaned up and put up for sale.. after a few rides if you havent bought that anthem yet ill give you some more feedback

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I bought an X1 recently - best bike ive ridden - and the stable has seem some great ones

a buddy bought the x3 - never been on a mtb until about 2 hrs after he bought it - hes now ridden it a a couple more days and is officially a MTBer

He paid right around $2k even - I've seen em as low as 1800 online

go negotiate - GREAT bike - you wont regret it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Anthem X3 is an exception even compared to other full suspension 29er's ,it's definitely a step above my 2010 Hifi Plus in terms of handling and features. However I added a new fork so that may no longer be true but it certainly better than the stock Hifi which is a very good bike in and of itself.

Coming from a 26 inch hardtail you'll be amazed by what the Anthem X 29er will be able to do. Things that would crazy and dangerous on a 26 inch hardtail such as a three foot drop into a rock garden feel like nothing on the Anthem X 29er. Descents are so fast and smooth on the Anthem X 29er that it will probably take several rides before you're comfortable pushing the bike to its limits.

The Anthem X 29er will redefine the way you ride and be capable of doing things that would only be considered science fiction on your current bike. You'll be shocked at what the Anthem X 29er will be able to do.

My only beef with the bike would be the stock brakes, I think they're inadequate for a bike that's such extraordinary downhill capabilities you really need to invest in a good set of four piston brakes such Shimano's Saints are Avid's Code R's. I have Shimano Saints on my bike and feel that they allow the bike to live up to its full potential.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Two friends just bought X3s for 1830 plus tax her in CO. It is an unbelievable value in a 29er. You can't even buy the frame and fork separately for that price. And, IMHO, the 2012 spec is a step down.

Just swap the wheels immediately for some Stan's Crest or Arches, depending on riding style. Then, when time permits, swap out the brakes for new shimano Xts and you will have a fantastic bike that can do all mountain, endurance racing, xc racing, whatever.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I rode the Anthem 29 for 5 days in Park City Utah in August. I had never ridden a 29er before -- I have an all mountain Ventana El Ciclon. I REALLY liked the Anthem and am now thinking of getting one - very stable, fast and fun. I had worried that a bike with less than 5" travel wouldn't work for me, but the last day in Utah we rode the downhill trails at Deer Valley and the bike was able to handle everything. Overall: Very impressed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the X3. Best bike Ive ever ridden. Im racing XC on it and consistently posting the fastest cat2 times. Next year Ill be riding cat1 and Its almost completely stock. Its super fast with some lighter tires!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.