Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my palomino soon after deducing that it wasnt designed for everything I wanna do (freeride, hucking, with trails on the side). A guy at my school is selling a rebuilt Giant AC, and it sounds like a pretty damn good deal to me at 1250, since I'd sell my bike for about that and really wouldn't lose much at all. Anyways just wanted to see what you all thought about this, and how Giant is with frame warranties. If someone has some experience with the AC frame I'd love to hear about it. Thanks! Here's the bike he described to me:

This is a Giant AC, been completely rebuilt for supreme hucking ability, original AC frame with lower headset insert with FSA PIG lower instead of integrated, Junior T 7" front, has hight weight fork oil for increased dampening and has won't bottom out, Onyx front hub, rhyno lite front rim, straight gauge DB spokes, michelin tires, Thomson DH stem, Azonic PDW double wall handlebar, LX 9spd shifter, Hayes HFX 8"rotor disc brakes, Thomson elite seatpost, Azoinc DH seat, Race Face BB and Truvativ Hussefelt cranks, Deore R Hub, Alex Supra-BH rim, DT swiss 14 gauge spokes all around, XT R derail, will include LX front derail and shifter, Bike was ridden for about 1 season then borrowed BB and cranks for other urban bike, sold that bike built this one back up with BB and cranks, and have be unable to ride it due to previously sustained shoulder injury while skiing, bike would retail for at least $4000, I work in a bike shop so has purchased parts discounted and received shwag and have personally maintained the bike, and completely rebuil the bearing and bushings, hubs and headset, its in awesome running condition.

Pic here: https://www.sia-cam.com/stuff/bike.jpg

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i think that's a fine deal. pretty nice ride, will take some good midrange FR/DH. the front rhyno lite is a piece of flatspotting crap, but the rest of the components seem solid. i'd go for it (if the bike fits you that is!)

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Those are awsome frames. Throw away the fork, rims, sticker off & replace with better components. You cannot replace a intigrated steer setup with standard. I belive they cam with standard headset. Otherwise good deal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dogonfr said:
Those are awsome frames. Throw away the fork, rims, sticker off & replace with better components. You cannot replace a intigrated steer setup with standard. I belive they cam with standard headset. Otherwise good deal.
how much could i sell that fork for? I'm not sure what kinda fork I wanna get but I was thinking maybe a marz 66 or 888, could i sell this one and buy one of those and end up paying maybe less than 500 over what I sold the fork for?

·
It's a love/ hate thing
54 Posts
dogonfr said:
Actually, it's an internal headset and not integrated. There is an adapter you can use to press a regular headset in. I have one for my AC-1, but never used it. I never had a problem with the stock headset(once I warrentied it)

as for the AC, I had mine set up with a boxxer for a while. It was a bit front heavy and i didn't care for the handling. They're not the stiffest bike, but they're decent. It depends on how big you plan on going. I would put a single crown 66 on it with 6" to match the back. I'm a fan of having a balanced set up.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
sovietspyguy said:
and how Giant is with frame warranties.
Giant's warranty service is top-notch, BUT you have to be the original owner of the bike. So you would have no warranty. Just about every company's warranty is only for the original owner. Other than the warranty, the bike sounds like a pretty good deal.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
sovietspyguy said:
how much could i sell that fork for? I'm not sure what kinda fork I wanna get but I was thinking maybe a marz 66 or 888, could i sell this one and buy one of those and end up paying maybe less than 500 over what I sold the fork for?
Not shure, possibly 300.00 a friend of mine has a Manitou FireFly 2005 fork on his, very nice. Check QBP for possible blow out pricing. Will have to agree about fork length stick with a 6 in. travel fork.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
pbr said:
Actually, it's an internal headset and not integrated. There is an adapter you can use to press a regular headset in. I have one for my AC-1, but never used it. I never had a problem with the stock headset(once I warrentied it)

Dank learn something new every day, was not aware of a adaptor. Do you recall who makes it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.