Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my last ride, it was a bit muddy, it seemed to develop a slight grinding in the gears.
i can feel a bit of almost grinding, more of a feeling than a noise, in the chain around the front gearing.
also, having a slight slipping in the gears near the center gearing of rear cogs, and every now and then it seems the chain hangs and seems to backlash?

excuse my termanology on the tech specs, still learning;)

can anyone tell me what my problem could be.

thanx

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Expanding on Zoke2's comment: You obviously have grit in the drive train. Front rings, chain, cogs in the back, the deraillieur (never spell that one right) all are muddy. Take some water, a rag and brushes and give your bike a good wash. Make sure you clean every component of the drive train. Lube it afterwards.

If the problem persists you might have a link in the chain that doesn't move (back lash issue) combined with a slightly stretched or worn out shifter cable/housing (slipping gears).

Wash it first.

·
EDR
10,711 Posts
My crotch hurts when I walk. I haven't taken a shower in 4 days but I did hike 4 miles on Thursday and biked over 20 miles today. Any ideas on how to make my ass feel better?

OP, I'm just yanking your chain of course. CLEAN your drivetrain. Seriously, what do you want us 'experts' to say? :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i gave the bike a good wash down as soon as i got home, but i didn get in it with the brush. already cleaned and regreased the chian and it already made a huge difference.
thankx guys, and experts

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
If you're going to ride in wet muddy conditions, use a thin chain oil. Then wash & re-lube often (every ride). "Massage" the chain with your bare hands while washing it & you'll feel when it's clean. You can wear disposable gloves if you don't want to get your hands all icky but if you're riding in mud, it shouldn't bother you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.