Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Laughable Man...haaaa
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a 3 mile ride to my local trail head and the park its in closes at 7pm. I was wondering what things I could work on to improve my trail technique when I get home too late to ride over and hit the trails yet have enough sun for about 30-40 minutes of riding? I have taken to climbing parking stumps and curbs, is there anything else I can practice? What do the people here do in their off trail time to get their skills up?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dan

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Durango65 said:
I have about a 3 mile ride to my local trail head and the park its in closes at 7pm. I was wondering what things I could work on to improve my trail technique when I get home too late to ride over and hit the trails yet have enough sun for about 30-40 minutes of riding? I have taken to climbing parking stumps and curbs, is there anything else I can practice? What do the people here do in their off trail time to get their skills up?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dan
Maybe it won't help you on skills, but you can do some roads to improve your condition. Just some thoughts...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Skills - Balance. Stay on the bike, while moving very little/not at all in the forward direction.
- Hopping. The bunny hop is a skill that may be useful on trails.
- Wheelies. Good for showing off, and wheelie dropping off of obsticles.
- Stairs. Practice going up 1-3 steps, as well as riding down, which helps teach you to keep your weight back a little when going down steep stuff.

Fitness - Riding on the road will alow you to go harder and faster when on the trails.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Finally, something I can get into! That Trashzen site is gooooooood! :thumbsup:

Ok, in practice on the trails you aren't going to be using everything you would in the trials site. However, I think most of the basic moves they demonstrate will come in handy.

Step-ups, with lunging as extra credit.
Step-downs, practice launching at some speed, rolling and getting over the rear of your bike, and wheelie dropping at slow speed.
Find some rail rides--those concrete stops in a parking lot, for instance--and see what you can do. Can you bunny hop on? Off? Hop your rear wheel off first?

I would say that track stands are important, but so far I haven't been able to track stand for more than 15 seconds!:mad:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Guyechka said:
so far I haven't been able to track stand for more than 15 seconds!:mad:
15 seconds is not too bad. Sounds like you have a good start, just keep practicing. I find it is helpful to keep my weight over the front wheel.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Bunny hops. Try hopping over a small object like a 2x4. Then build up to some thing larger. When you get to the trail use your hop skills to clear logs.

Jumps. Make a mound of earth and launch off that. Make a ramp from plywood and launch off that. Have fun!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
a trackstand is when you stand still on the bike without rolling. I think it's called that cause in track style (velodrome) bike races you have to start with your feet on the pedals but not moving.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Buy some of those rubber cones and setup a slalom course, this will help with your cornering. You could also use some boards and bricks/blocks to make bunny hop obstacles, mini skinnys or ramps.

Most of the time I'll just grab the cones and set them up on the playground at the school near my house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts