Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
noticed this 1/2 way thru a little spin in Santa Cruz today on my SS.......dammit....



does anyone know the warranty on Thomson faceplates??

and yes...i own a torque wrench...and know how to build a bike.....;)
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
That happened to K-max a few years ago. I think they just sent him a new one. Universal sells them if you have to buy one. I've got one you can borrow in the mean time, assuming you can get time to ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dan51 said:
That happened to K-max a few years ago. I think they just sent him a new one. Universal sells them if you have to buy one. I've got one you can borrow in the mean time, assuming you can get time to ride.
Cool!....and yes..i have time to ride...not a lot....and at the drop of a hat...for about an hour at a shot.....

so that means I sprint around santa teresa trying not to puke.......;)

baycat said:
Putting some torquez on that stem yo!
no....dammit all to heck and back.....it was torqued to spec bro'....just now i gots the super-strength-baby-toting muscles....mini-CHUM is built like a brick.......
 

·
MarkyMark
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
That could have gotten ugly! Was it a SS, by any chance? There's tonnes of torquing on the handlebar while climbing.

CHUM said:
noticed this 1/2 way thru a little spin in Santa Cruz today on my SS.......dammit....

 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Buy a real stem. Get a Syntace.

That Thomson looks like one of those chinese knockoffs made in Shenzhen by little girls that are still taking CNC training classes. The little 'R' trademark is on the side of the "N" on a real Thomson stem...

Has the bike spent a lot of time hung up on a bike rack in a hot garage? I heard 6061 doesn't take sitting around doing nothin very well, and starts stress cracking. I guess that'd be garage queen stress. ;)


Just glad to see you back on a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Same thing has happened to me. Funny Rensho mentioned the hot garage thing because when mine cracked some Thomson honk blamed the storage of my bike too. How about the fact that Thomson sells replacements like it's no big deal. I haven't looked but I have not seen other brands sell replacements without some sort of special order. Obviously Thomson knows this happens.:nono:
R
 

·
Silence! I kill you!
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
dan51 said:
That happened to K-max a few years ago. I think they just sent him a new one. Universal sells them if you have to buy one. I've got one you can borrow in the mean time, assuming you can get time to ride.
What don't you have laying around for people to borrow? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
Go to Passion Trail bike. I did that to my Thompson.

Charles took a face plate off one of his stock stem and sold it to me for like 10 bucks.

What a guy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
rensho said:
Buy a real stem. Get a Syntace.
My wife rolls with those.....aren't they 'girly' stems? :D

rensho said:
That Thomson looks like one of those chinese knockoffs made in Shenzhen by little girls that are still taking CNC training classes. The little 'R' trademark is on the side of the "N" on a real Thomson stem...
damn you rensho....i even looked that up....:p

rensho said:
Has the bike spent a lot of time hung up on a bike rack in a hot garage? I heard 6061 doesn't take sitting around doing nothin very well, and starts stress cracking. I guess that'd be garage queen stress. ;)
HAHAHAHAHA :lol: ...and yes.....my surly has been garaged since last season (mostly)......dammit......

rensho said:
Just glad to see you back on a bike.
good to be back riding :) .....even it's only for an hour at a time......i am gonna be 1 fast dude for 60 minutes......then implode.......

maybe i'll take the CX thing seriously this year......hmmmmm.....

EDIT:....just contacted Thomson....they said send it in and we'll send a new one.....super easy....but it'll take 2 weeks....

think I'll just spend the $10 and grab a new one from a LBS...:)
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
jorgemonkey said:
What don't you have laying around for people to borrow? :D
Well, I no longer have the Thomson 31.8 faceplate. The stem has been lent out, and the faceplate went with it... CHUM and JustJeff can battle for it in Wii boxing or Guitar Hero....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dan51 said:
... CHUM and JustJeff can battle for it in Wii boxing or Guitar Hero....
i concede ....i am no match to JustJeff's mas-uber-super-skillz at Wii.......

besides...he's bigger and tuffer than me.....:p
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top