Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 192 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Gotcha. Can't control the way what I write is interpreted, but if you'll give me the benefit of the doubt for the next few (days? weeks?) I'll explain what I meant and you might look upon those words in a different light.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
cuz he's a pompous twit as i stated earlier. funneh how says that folks should stay off the internet. and thinks that riding fatbikes more than 2 months a year is stupid/beneath him. then he get's on the internet, posts a blog about his better than anyone else's bike with hey look at me i'm cool cuz i test tires that no one else gets to ride all the while coming across as an i'm better than 99.9% *****bag.

sad thing is he put way too much time and dime into a bike that is, in fact, just a fvcking bike. and will prolly crack at a weld sooner than later.

rog
I think you are failing to understand the difference between an internet "expert", and an actual expert.

I also suspect that mikesee's "2 months of a year" riding fatbikes exceeds most folks annual mileage.

Every fat bike race in the world has the following somewhere in their rules:
"Fatbikes shall be defined as bikes with 3.7” or wider tires"
"Fat Bikes must have BOTH tires 3.7″ or wider."...
Ah, racing! The boys with rulebooks telling us what our bikes should look like. There's more to fatbikes than the tiny world of going fast. That's the same mindset that has retarded bike development over the last century.

I think most of the regulars on here are happy to accept 3" bikes* as being in the fatbike family - this is certainly the case amongst the UK fatbikers.

*ie, any bike that takes a tyre that too wide to fit in a normal bike.

<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/fee4c2e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/fee4c2e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

·
Registered
266 Posts
For a guy like mikesee, tires probably don't matter that much. He is an elite rider. For the remaining 99.9% of us, tires are the most important thing.
Internet forums are problematic this way, it is hard to infer tone.
That said, if I was making money selling fat wheels and tires to people who are less capable / accomplished than I am, I would be extra careful about how I addressed my potential customers on the internet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The bike is new. The bike is sweet. I like bikes. I'm sure Mike will share his geometry numbers and riding impressions once he puts in some chamois time on his bike. Some people are too easily offended.

Rog, you are entitled to your opinions, but why result to insults about a sweet custom Ti frame? Value is in the eye of the beholder. What kind of bike do you ride? I'm sure people could also criticize what you ride, but what does that accomplish? I hope you love your bike, but I feel that it's pretty uncool to imply multiple times that this frame is going to break. Did you drink your Metamucil recently because you seem pretty unhappy. Cheer up dude. Maybe if you ask nicely Mike will let you ride his new bike and you will see the light. Peace out!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Mikesee had to know writing it that there would be some jimmies rustled. Regardless, I would be one to ask what about the geometry makes it better in the snow. With the geometry of the YBB, is it shifting your weight in a different manner, or putting you in a different riding position? Or does it remind you of a smoking hot old girlfriend, and keep you warm....even on the coldest of rides?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yeah, Mike strikes me as one who does not make such statements without context, if I do not understand or agree, holding his opinion in reserve seems wise.

It is interesting that rog lists his only bike as a rigid Independence Fabrication Ti 29er; nothing wrong with that...save for the present context?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
expert schmexpert, the guy comes across as a bit of a *****. and clearly i'm not the only one not confused about that fact...
I read mikesee's posts because it is accurate information. I don't give a stuff if he is a bit acerbic - I'd sooner hear his opinion than gee whizz warm fuzzies elsewhere.

If you don't like him, it's easy to put him on your ignore list, but before you do that, I suggest you read through this forum and concentrate on what he has contributed.

...drive side chainstay/dropout weld will be the 1st to fail....
As a matter of interest, what would be the reason? (I couldn't see any obvious flaw)<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/fee4c2e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For a guy like mikesee, tires probably don't matter that much. He is an elite rider. For the remaining 99.9% of us, tires are the most important thing.
I would like to simultaneously agree and disagree. An elite rider is more likely to notice a loss in cornering traction because they can ride at or near the traction limit. They may notice the subtle differences in the way different tires corner. But they may also need less ultimate traction in climbing and other situations due to better body position, preservation of momentum, and other factors relating to experience. I know I put a lot more on my tires as I improve. While my precision and consistency improves, the difficulty of features and terrain I ride increases commensurately.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,219 Posts
Word a read (all bazillion pages) to see how mikesee sees things "differently" than everyone else. Very one-sided and sometimes judicious use of numbers that aren't quite correct, lots of other people with valid differing opinions. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/bike-started-all-just-got-even-better-883240.html

It's good to see some balance though, and that post (above) has a lot if you read it all. Nothing wrong with mike showing us a new bike and how cool it is. The execution is what people remember though.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
With all the questions about secret geometry I had to go back to the beginning and make sure I wasn't in a Sandman thread by accident. ;)

I get the ruffled feathers. I also look at people's contribution to MTBR in its totality when considering a specific post.

Mike C adds a lot to this site and backs up his ideas/opinions with riding. :thumbsup:

MTBR is too full of people arguing about geo charts or theoretical BS and not actually getting hard stuff done that pushes their limits and demonstrates the points they are trying to make with pedal strokes. :skep:

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Keep it civil, if you don't like his opinion or whatever unsubscribe. We have a million threads on MTBR, I'm sure there is one on here that is your cup of tea.
If you ever need a new sheriff for the Fat Forum, personally I wouldn't pick me but I'm here for ya if needed.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Nice looking rig.
A 3.0 tire doesn't do much to support your anti-non-snow fat rhetoric however;).
Every fat bike race in the world has the following somewhere in their rules:
"Fatbikes shall be defined as bikes with 3.7” or wider tires"
"Fat Bikes must have BOTH tires 3.7″ or wider."

A bike like the one pictured in this post, with 29x3" tires, is by definition NOT a fat bike.

So while all the rest of us are "happy looking down on our gee-whiz bulbous tires", the op is deluding himself into thinking he is on a fat bike, when in fact, he is riding a 29+ bike.
"Pictured here with summer kit (fork, post, grips) and wheels."

If only I could read as well as look at pretty pictures.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm sure Mike has his geometry preferences, but I'd have to think that Speedway and 907 have a pretty good idea what works on snow, but what do I know, I just ride my bikes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's a beautiful bike!

So, was that moots you were selling some time back. It must be nice to live in that gray area. I'm stuck with black or white but, im happy with that because, that's much better then clear. LOL!

41 - 60 of 192 Posts