Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride this afternoon, most of the snow had melted, temp 45°F and head was cold inside my helmet. Expecting to ride much colder temps as the season progresses. So I'm looking for some sort of thin head covering which the helmet can go over.

Any suggestions? Did a "cold" search, 80 hits, nothing useful.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,206 Posts
Yes, I've gotten most of mine through race entry fees and events, but they are thin liners that fit over your head in between the helmet.

Another one that is real common is The Buff, it's also more versatile. You can use it similar to above, or around your neck, etc. You can usually find Buffs at any outdoor-related retailer.

When it gets colder than freezing, I use my ski-helmet and eventually a Balaclava.

Reactions: cyclelicious

·
No known cure
4,186 Posts
I use a skull cap by GORE called the Windstopper. I think I picked it up at REI

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just use a neck sleeve / gaiter.

Nice thing is, it turns into a quick mask if you are going into a place where you want to wear a mask.

06caad45cd0a71361fb3b53c6df31c60.jpg

·
Registered
392 Posts
I for a skull cap kind of scenario I use one by Turtle Fur. They have one that is just skull cap and another that has a little bit of ear covering. Fits great under the helmet. I got mine at a Big5. Pretty well priced compared to the Pearl Izumi cap that is essentially the same thing. I think they sell over the web too.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Went for a ride this afternoon, most of the snow had melted, temp 45°F and head was cold inside my helmet. Expecting to ride much colder temps as the season progresses. So I'm looking for some sort of thin head covering which the helmet can go over.

I use a Smartwool extra light skull cap as A headsock. Light enough i use it now in tropical summer under helmet for sweat management. But also in winter under snowboard helmet. Might be too light for winter under a highly vented bike helmet tho.
Picked it up at REI. They didnt have a lot in stock, but i found one

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I ended up getting:
Feels a bit tight when I first put the helmet on, but 5-min into a ride I've totally forgotten its there. Covers to my eyebrows and ears, works well. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Cycologist
7,405 Posts
I'm still using a Nashbar branded one, wore it on my ride yesterday. I've also used a swimming cap (neoprene, not one of the cheap rubber ones) when I couldn't find my Nashbar.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,230 Posts
I just use a neck sleeve / gaiter.

Nice thing is, it turns into a quick mask if you are going into a place where you want to wear a mask.

View attachment 1363247
I use this sort of thing, and have for many years. They're so thin that they don't interfere with helmet fit (I'm usually near the upper end of what my helmet can accommodate, so minimizing extra thickness is important for me). If it's notably cold, I'll fold it over on itself so that my ears get a double layer of fabric over them. Colder still and I can use two. One on my head and another as a neck gaiter and/or facemask.

I have several. A couple I bought, but I've also managed to accumulate some free ones over the years, too.

FWIW, they're NOT GOOD for covid facemasks. As a single layer, they break up mist from your breath, which allows it to stay airborne longer, rather than settling out of the air and onto surfaces. Fold them over into multiple layers and they'll do better, but the masks I wear into businesses are all at least triple layer and hug face contours better.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Buy a selection of beanies of various weights and choose the one that is appropriate for the temperature. Three will be enough. Basically it goes from thin fleece, heavy fleece, then a Windstopper-type material. Fine tuning for temperature can be done by how much of the ears are uncovered.

·
nOOb
508 Posts
I have a Turtle fur one which covers the ears and it's wind-proof. I also have one of those Sirius(sp?) ones from the local farm and barn store, they work great. They have balaclavas and skull caps etc. I also bought a clearance helmet a size up so I can fit heavier hats under it. I have about 12 beanies in a drawer to choose from, some from running races, some cheapies from Kohls etc.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,553 Posts
I have several but for thin and excellent heat management I keep going back to my Kuiu merino beanie.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a selection, buffs for the summer - more for keeping the sweat out of my eyes than warmth, Sealskinz skullcap for when it turns a little colder and an Arbortec beanie for very cold. Also various other synthetic fibre beanies as most are usually in the wash. I always take a spare along incase I have to stop riding for a while, I don't like standing around in a wet hat in the cold.

·
9 lives
15,822 Posts
I have a selection, buffs for the summer - more for keeping the sweat out of my eyes than warmth, Sealskinz skullcap for when it turns a little colder and an Arbortec beanie for very cold. Also various other synthetic fibre beanies as most are usually in the wash. I always take a spare along incase I have to stop riding for a while, I don't like standing around in a wet hat in the cold.
I've used SealSkinz (totally waterproof) socks for years. I wear them for winter running or riding when I know my feet might get wet from slush. They keep my feet dry and warm when my shoes are soaked through in winter slush. Not sure about the hats.
Currently I wear a beanie from Salomon that keeps my ears, and forehead warm and wicks the sweat even in frigid weather eg -16c to -25c etc. It fit nicely under my helmet and has a ponytail hole :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts