Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back in the saddle
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some feedback on thigh protection for mtb -- ostensibly for the dreaded tip-over in a rock garden while one is clipped in and can't get out for some crazy reason. I took a MAJOR hit recently (even though the SPD's were set to very light release) and came incredibly close to breaking my thigh bone on a pointy rock. The bruise was the size of a personal pan pizza and felt 'just lovely' for weeks.

Any recommended products that offer good protection on the outside of the thigh and some ventilation?

So, is it best to get something to wear over one's regular shorts (which have a chamois), or should I buy armored shorts w/ an integral chamois and forget about my existing shorts?

Tailbone protection might be nice for crossover for snowboarding, but I wonder if it interferes with pedaling? I see some companies have removable tailbone pads.

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
i think most protection is pretty much limited to preventing cuts & scrapes... i'm not sure there's much available that would prevent a broken femur or bone of any size. it would have to be so rigid and hard that i would imagine pedaling/riding in it would be uncomfortable, if not impossible. i have a set of knee/shin pads that have a hard shell on the front and they suck to ride in!

·
Back in the saddle
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts. Dainese has an interesting hard shell on the side with side zippers (for easy on/off) but it seems to be out of stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts