Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was broken into at Soquel Demo today at 12-3pm (Wednesday) Smashed my window and got away with my wallet (yes, I know). They tried to make several purchases but only made out with $170 in shoes at a shoe store in Watsonville.

Anyhow, with the road now open looks like demo is back on their map. I think they are hitting the dirt lot with frequency again as I saw broken glass when I arrived as well.

Sucks. :(

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
plan it out - let's get 'em

SJensen said:
Steve you block the bridge, anyone have a vid camera? I have some things that would scare then strait and put an end to this
I never had any problems myself, as I never leave anything in my car - my clothes I take in a safeway shopping bag since they will 'smash and grab' for a gym bag.

Now for the plan - I don't think they use the iron bridge or Highland as a get away (or 'get into') route. just a thought, but I think they actually use the dirt fire road you can see behind the porta potty.

it's been awhile since I've been down that path, so others may have more up to date info, but this dirt road skirts along the bottom of Highland and pops out near the bottom of the slide area - it used to go all the way to Spanish Ranch road (and may still).

it's my guess that they have a car parked on or near Spanish Ranch or near the slide, they walk up the dirt road to the parking lot and leave a 'sentry' where they can watch the top of Hihn's Mill for bikers riding back; likely also somebody watching Highland (after the slide there's a half paved road that goes down) for cars coming up Highland.

if you're serious about catching these [email protected], i think we will need 6-8 ppl:
- 2 folks on Spanish Ranch, 2 on Highland near the slide and 2-4 around the parking lot (1-2 hiding in the brush along the dirt road behind the potty, 1-2 in the upper forested area watching the parking lot).
- should be on a Wed or Thurs afternoon (this is when they're looking for extra $$ for their weekend binge)
- setup and positioning around 10am
- radio communications
- set the 'trap' - a car with goodies in plain sight (perhaps an empty laptop bag or empty wallet sitting on the dash?)
- surveillance video on the trap vehicle for evidence

tweakers are generally cowardly and will not put up a fight, we'll need to hold them for the Sheriff, simple zip ties will work. if it's gang bangers from Watsonville, it's a little more dangerous, they will not lay down easily. we should be ready to protect ourselves.

likely it will take a couple month's of sitting around on Wed/Thurs and waiting before we hit 'payday'. I think from 10-2pm, so 4 hours a week for a couple month's. it's an investment in time.

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you have 2 many people I think they'll catch on to it. Somebody will give themselves away guaranteed.

I'd love to see this actually happen, too many threads on the internet running wild with E-thuggery. Would be nice to see it happen for once.

The question is, are you bringing weapons or not. If you bring weapons you're opening a door to things you might not like. Especially if there are threads on the internet pre-meditating it. You either plan it as a group and post about it or PM or whatever and go without weapons but with brains and bust these fools in a way that you are not going to get into trouble.

Or just be about it and don't say **** online and just do what you do :thumbsup:

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Felton_Flyer said:
if you're serious about catching these [email protected], i think we will need 6-8 ppl:
- 2 folks on Spanish Ranch, 2 on Highland near the slide and 2-4 around the parking lot (1-2 hiding in the brush along the dirt road behind the potty, 1-2 in the upper forested area watching the parking lot).
- should be on a Wed or Thurs afternoon (this is when they're looking for extra $$ for their weekend binge)
- setup and positioning around 10am
- radio communications
- set the 'trap' - a car with goodies in plain sight (perhaps an empty laptop bag or empty wallet sitting on the dash?)
- surveillance video on the trap vehicle for evidence
thoughts?
  • If I'm driving to Demo, I'm riding after a surveill session.
  • Need to park the vehicles with the bikes someplace, as a bunch of bikes w/o riders will look either amazingly tempting or will be an immense tip-off.
  • For the wallet idea: photocopy some bait money -- just like on TV.
  • It's been discussed before -- and during fine weather months...

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
To the mountain bikers parking in the Demo parking lot:

Please put your valuables in boxes and wrap with a nice Christmas paper (bows are encouraged). I am running a bit behind on my shopping this year and the wrapping would really help. I will be scouting cars from 2-4 pm weekdays, but can be flexible - PM me.

The wife wants some teeth for Christmas, but a fully loaded iPod will do.

Thanks! And merry Christmas.

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
another thought - snakes are cheap at the pet store - buy a few and stick 'em in your gym bag in plain sight ... hilarity ensues

if no takers, release in the Demo ... pit viper would be more effective, but any snake will do

·
Registered
358 Posts
If any of you guys are down to actually do this, pm me. I will be happy to join, and would greatly enjoy the dispensation of 'street justice'. Police are useless for these sorts of crimes. Absolutely useless. Someday, someone has to pay for all the crap I've had stolen from my house/car/etc... over the years. These guys seem to fit the bill.

2 shifts -- one riding while the others wait for the fun. I love riding at Demo, and cannot think of a better combination of things than dispensation of justice plus hauling a** on Ridge/Braile trail. Well, maybe one more thing...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.