Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our ride yesterday, I mustered up the courage to take a few more jumps and drops that I'd ordinarily be a bit too cautious to take. Cleared big-ass jump #1. Big drop. Big-ass jump #2. Now I'm getting the feel of how the bike will look after me. It was my friend's first ride of the season so she's sucking wind like she's about to keel over. I do my best to keep her going, but my head is in a rush now and I'm dying to pick up some speed here.

Cross a brook, I clear the rocks underneath. Holy crap, I've never done that before (must be the new tires, I think). Here's another jump - hey, nothing to it now. Now I'm blazing. I start to go faster and faster. I'll sprint for a while, then wait up for my friend, then go again. Two-thirds of the way through, I crest a short hill to see the steep downhill sweeping right on the other side.

WEEEEEEEEE!!!! I'm understeering (stupid tires!!), I'm gonna hit that big-ass tree!!!

I white knuckle the brakes and disappear in a cloud of dust. Landed shoulder first, tossed off the bike. Shins look like they went through a cheesegrater. Right forearm doesn't look much better. Knee's got a nice imprint of my rear shock lock-out lever. Pick up the bike, I notice the front wheel's shaped like a Pringle now. Not too severe, but definitely taco-esque.

Took it to the shop right after the ride. Thankfully they said they rebuild the wheel, no apparent hub or rim damage. Good thing, too - these Lefty wheels can cost a ton to replace.

This is what I get for being cocky. What a doofus. Last week, I took extra precautions 'cause I was riding solo. This week, I get stoopid just 'cause someone's riding shotgun? What an ass. And you know what? I'm just the sort of idiot who'll go out there again next week and probably try and take these corners at speed again.

It's too early in the season to start breaking stuff all over. At least I'm in one piece though.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Hmmm........are you sure it wasn't the "chick factor"?

I've seen a guy take a really crazy jump and break his collarbone mainly b/c his girlfriend was videotaping it.....oh, and me and another woman kinda sorta talked him into it. :rolleyes:

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can say in all honesty that if I was riding with a bunch of dudes, I'd be just as much of a bonehead as I was on Sunday when I was riding with a chick. I was on a mission to ride like a nut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.