Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out for weekly assault on Mt.Falcon, up from the lower lot to the shelter, and what have they done to the trail?

The entire section in the trees just below the shelter, and the "rock garden" just before the trees has been sanitized beyond recognition.
There is not a single rock in the trail, there are piles along side the trail of all they have removed. Some looking 30lbs or better.
The last section in the trees, just before you go into the meadow below the shelter, looks like they had some heavy equipment up there, as the ridge on the north side of the trail is flattened, and there is a 3+ wide, flat smooth trail there now.
The trail all thru the trees is free of rocks, smooth and looks nothing like the trail as it did before.
I have only been riding there since 2001, but those last obstacles were a mark of progress, as I would measure my riding fitness and skill level by how far I was able to clean thru those sections.
It is as if an old adversary has suddenly been rendered lame, no longer able to challenge me to greater effort.

Anyone have any idea why they did this?
What issue are they trying to address?
Are they done, or are they planning to continue their way down the hill?
Don't get me wrong, I like centennial cone and all, but the easy to moderate technical challenges is what made this trail fun, but now it looks like they are trying to turn into another trail like the cone.
it truly looks as if they could lay down pavement now, and with no rocks, won't run off and erosion be more of a problem?

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Well that just suck a$$!!! I guess the times up are going to change maybe i can beat my time of 32:02 I agree those sections are always a challenge when you are cooked and are always an acomplishment to clean them!

·
<100%
683 Posts
I cannot get too upset about some trail maintanence. That section of MF has deteriorated quite a bit in the last few years. There are other rocky sections on MF to ride and if I really want to test the skills on rocks, Dakota Ridge MW is just down the road.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree. Who does this crap? Does JeffCo even take Mountain Bikes into account? Not only is one of the best parts of that trail ruined (both up and down) but I think I might have black lung from trailing behind my Thursday group ride. I still don't think I've been able to wash the grit out of my eyes.

It's a good thing there's no rocks underneath all that soft dirt that will never, ever appear again. Yup, problem solved alright.

Also, if we're talking about JeffCo trails that are in the worst shape, this wouldn't even have occurred to me. I feel like they attacked this section out of sheer laziness because they had a good access road.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jsj3831 said:
I cannot get too upset about some trail maintanence. That section of MF has deteriorated quite a bit in the last few years. There are other rocky sections on MF to ride and if I really want to test the skills on rocks, Dakota Ridge MW is just down the road.
I am in complete favor of maintaining the trails, but what has been done there is beyond trail maintenance, the biggest obstacle in section now is the waterbar at the turn.
Not sure that I can agree that this section had deteriorated, as I have been riding it consistently since 2001 one, and that section seemed to remain pretty constant, it if changed, it changed little in my observation.
The fact that there are other trails with technical sections nearby is not the point, the point is that this trail has been changed forever.
This trail, with its challenging climb and moderate technical challenges has grown to be on of my favorites, I think that if you were to see it first hand, perhaps your better understand the significant change that this work has made to the trail. This section of the trail is nearly wheelchair accessible.

Listen, I realize that there is nothing that can be done, the rocks can't be put back into place, the trail will never return to what it was, I am just a bit disappointed and frustrated about the loss of a good section of trail.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh geez. Ruined for a mountain biker but there are 2 other user groups on those trails as well. I guess the horse riders and those damn hikers really don't count even though that's what the trails were originally put in for. It's not all about you. :eek:

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eddyturn said:
Oh geez. Ruined for a mountain biker but there are 2 other user groups on those trails as well. I guess the horse riders and those damn hikers really don't count even though that's what the trails were originally put in for. It's not all about you. :eek:
Oh, I get it.If jeffco wants to cater to the other user groups, I should just accept it and move on. After all, I don't support jeffco open space funding, so I should just be glad them give some dirt to ride on.
It is not just about me, there are several dozens of riders that use that trail, and many, ( as posted by others on this thread), would be displeased with the sanitizing of this trail.

I think if you were to see the work first hand, you may not be quite so willing to roll over to the powers that be.

I realize that one of the primary functions that the interweb provides is the opportunity to challenge and oppose the statements and thinking of others, thank you for playing.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Trails that were smoother a long time ago (I was riding them then)

progressively got more and more eroded. Maybe a few years ago is when a lot of you started riding them. I would say, man these trails have gotten rockier lately but you wouldn't know that. F'instance, those waterbars at the start of Mt. Falcon. I used to just cruise up and over them with a low bottom bracket bike. But they just kept getting higher and higher till I started carrying my higher bb bikes over them :)cryin: ). My last time on Falcon they'd filled in the waterbars...and it was just like they used to be!

They smoothed out a lot of the trails at Elk Meadow in the last few weeks as well. For me, though, it's still a trail I can ride my bike on and there's plenty o'rocks elsewhere. I'm not complaining. Nowhere is it written that a completely eroded trail is a good thing. Entropy is at work everywhere and doesn't need to just go on unabated.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Rex Patrick would be disgusted!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe they did it so they could haul dead llamas off of the mountain!! Wtf? First time i rode that my friend called it mount puken, i quickly realized why. Now they can call it mount cruisin! Haven't seen it first hand yet just taking btadlocks word for it. Just do what i do and ride your singlespeed up it trust me, it is still a lung buster!! Cheers all at least we have trails to ride on!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Saw that today too and was kind of pissed. Honestly, that's one of the dumbest things JeffCo has ever done and I can't for the life of me fathom why. Honestly, it is only going to make people ride faster and create more problems. Really, really, really disappointed.

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
Reporterkyle said:
Saw that today too and was kind of pissed. Honestly, that's one of the dumbest things JeffCo has ever done and I can't for the life of me fathom why. Honestly, it is only going to make people ride faster and create more problems. Really, really, really disappointed.
I haven't seen Falcon post groom but I did get to see the extensive "work" they did on Bergen/Elk Meadow today. It looks like a flower bed up there now. I just don't see the point in moving this much dirt and rocks for no apparent purpose. The only thing I can fathom is they have too much cash on hand and are spending it on way too many workers overgrooming trails.

Wouldn't all this time and money be better spent building more/new trails on their existing parklands to ease openspace traffic?

:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I imagine it's Jeffco's policy to try to accommodate as many trail users as possible. In doing so, I'd assume the wishes of a few mountain bikers who like rocky trails come in pretty low on the list. If fact I'd be willing to bet even among the bikers who use the trails, those who prefer rocky, technical sections are a minority. It's a county park with immediate access to a large metropolitan area. Jeffco knows who their constituency is I'd be willing to bet it's not serious mountain bikers.

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
long1773 said:
I imagine it's Jeffco's policy to try to accommodate as many trail users as possible. In doing so, I'd assume the wishes of a few mountain bikers who like rocky trails come in pretty low on the list. If fact I'd be willing to bet even among the bikers who use the trails, those who prefer rocky, technical sections are a minority. It's a county park with immediate access to a large metropolitan area. Jeffco knows who their constituency is I'd be willing to bet it's not serious mountain bikers.
Based on the pisspoor level of biking skills a person sees routinely on Jeffco trails, perhaps you have a point. However, these buffed up little flower gardens are going to erode pretty quickly, don't serve any purpose that I can discern, and none of that changes the fact that the huge amounts of manpower wasted to create them would have been better spent making additional trails inside of parks instead of paving the few trails there are.

·
Tre1nt
418 Posts
I have not seen the trailwork in question yet, but I think that the best strategy for a given area is to look at the variety of trails offered and strive for a range of options. In most places not called "Whistler" the majority of those trails should probably be designed for beginner/intermediate riders ... but certainly demanding lines specifically built for expert riders should be included as well. To ignore this audience increases the chances that illegal trails will be built and leads to all kinds of other problems.

That said, just because a clapped-out, poorly-constructed-but-challenging-to-ride section of trail exists does not mean it should stay that way for all time (even if some riders have spent years getting the line dialed). The point is, I guess, that JeffCo needs to hear feedback letting them know that their trailwork is appreciated but that they should not forget to factor in that a substantial group of riders demand high-quality trails specifically built for high-intermediate and expert skill sets.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.