Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I use fake email addresses and phone numbers for sites that require them for access.
Don't use fake email and phone numbers. What you need to do is use someone's info you don't like so they get all the spam.

Amazon sent us a free Alexa. I wonder why they wanted to give us a free listening device. In the first day I came home and it was talking but no one was home. Right to the rubbish bin.

Unless you want to live in a cave there is nothing you can do about data tracking. Liks the smart TVs with cameras, if they want to see me sitting naked on the couch watching cartoons all power to them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unless you want to live in a cave there is nothing you can do about data tracking. Liks the smart TVs with cameras, if they want to see me sitting naked on the couch watching cartoons all power to them.
+1 to this. It's kind of like the old joke of "I don't need a car alarm because my car is so shitty, nobody would want to steal it." Out of principle I try to limit data mining, but in the end my data is not worth much to anyone anyway.

My mom is getting up there in years. She's always been gullible and getting worse. She believes anything her friend tells her. Unfortunately her friend has been duped by the right wing qanon trolls. So now my mom won't get the covid-19 vaccine because she believes the tracking chip thing. (which is very concerning because my dad is severely susceptible to covid complications). After logic and reasoning failed, I tried telling my mom, "who cares if they track you? You don't vote and are not a criminal. If the government finds out that all you ever do is go for walks in the town park three days a week and church prayer group every Wednesday, how are they going to use that info against you?"

Sigh.

Reactions: Nat

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
"who cares if they track you? You don't vote and are not a criminal. If the government finds out that all you ever do is go for walks in the town park three days a week and church prayer group every Wednesday, how are they going to use that info against you?"
Haha! Nice burn but so true. There’s only one person on this site who’s interesting enough for the government to want to track. Everyone else is just the target of product sales. Whoopee, streamline your shopping for you, oooooh.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,186 Posts
The people who won’t get a COVID vaccine are also the people who won’t understand radiofrequency geolocation and how it pertains to the fancy computer/radio they have in their pocket, or in their hands, all hours of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
The people who won’t get a COVID vaccine are also the people who won’t understand radiofrequency geolocation and how it pertains to the fancy computer/radio they have in their pocket, or in their hands, all hours of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[FBI guy #1] We’d better keep an eye on this guy. He’s been posting on MTBR all day and clearing his cookies. Could be up to something.

[FBI guy #2] I’ll get a drone on him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm positive that my phone listens to my conversations, then suggests videos about the same subject on youtube.

-I can recall talking about groundhogs one day. Opened youtube and there was a suggested groundhog trapping video.
-Or talking about receipt paper to a co-worker. Opened my yahoo email to find an advertisment for receipt paper.

Google denies they listen to us, but it's obvious they do. And I know how internet cookies work, this wasn't a simple case of internet browser cookies infulencing my searches.

EDIT: Also, watch that movie in the OP! Very good film.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I'm positive that my phone listens to my conversations, then suggests videos about the same subject on youtube.
Last weekend my wife and I were discussing all the things we were going to do in bed that night. You can imagine my Youtube feed the next day.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I turned off siri on my phone because I never use it. Let's see if that makes any difference at all.

Like Azimiut, I won't have an Alexa in my house listening to everything. I'm pretty sure the Russians have accessed all of our information at this point too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I turned off siri on my phone because I never use it. Let's see if that makes any difference at all.

Like Azimut, I won't have an Alexa in my house listening to everything. I'm pretty sure the Russians have accessed all of our information at this point too.
also having an african grey for a pet and an Alexa is a bad idea.
Parrot orders off amazon

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Jeez, I use Siri all the time. "Hey Siri, how's the weather?"

[Siri] "The current temperature is 34F in Moscow..."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts