Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm pretty new to this mountain bike thing just this year coming from a bmx freestyle background (yeah when they where a thing 20 years ago) but diving into the mtb rabbit hole. Anyway the tech companies must be listening cause I open my Netflix and this pops up out of the blue.

Accomplice
on Netflix

I'm taking it as a sign I'm on the right track lol.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yup

I don't normally buy sweets but I had a sweet tooth last time I went grocery shopping. Some Tate's cookies caught my eye and I figured they'd be better than chips ahoy cookies. Well they were mediocre at best and chip ahoy cookies probably would have been better. Anyway, two days later I've been getting advertisements for Tate's cookies on my Instagram feed. Never had them before until now.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I'm not inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, but there's no doubt that corporate big brother (CBB) is watching. CBB collects everything about you that has an input into the world of big data. What you buy, where you go on the web, how fast you drive, your fitbit heart rate, the music you listen to, your political leanings, your income, your relatives, where you work, what time you get up in the morning, etc, etc, etc,etc. The list goes on and on and is growing by the day. There are ways to limit what they learn from your browsing (VPN, anti-tracking add-ons, etc), and you could try to limit yourself to cash transactions (remember cash? a quaint thing of the past), but there's not a lot one can do about the rest other than advocate for stringent privacy laws, and good luck with that.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,120 Posts
I'm not inclined to believe in conspiracy theories
Is it really a conspiracy that companies want to use tech to target the things they advertise to you as things you might really be interested in, based on your internet browsing and purchase history and so on? Verses just randomly showing you ads for tampoons, or socks, or office supplies, hoping you may be in the market for these things?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Last week I was having a conversation in my office with my crew. We were discussing some aquatic sampling methods and tools. Prior to that conversation I'd never said the words nor done any sort of internet search for the words "plankton tow", as I didn't know about this specific tool. Ten minutes later, a side add popped up on one of my google searches for a "plankton tow" kit from a field science supply company. Either my phone or laptop was listening, and it generated this result. They are listening.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Is it really a conspiracy that companies want to use tech to target the things they advertise to you as things you might really be interested in, based on your internet browsing and purchase history and so on? Verses just randomly showing you ads for tampoons, or socks, or office supplies, hoping you may be in the market for these things?
Perhaps "conspiracy" wasn't the perfect term. However, there certainly is an organized infrastructure that works together toward the goal of putting internet ads in front of you, sending you junk email, text messages, etc. There are companies (not just Farcebook, but numerous others you never heard of) that hoover up your data from any and all sources they can acquire, then sell it to those wanting to sell you something. If you like that, then fine for you, but I and many others don't want the details of my life to be available to any bidder. There are other models for targeting ads that do not require data mongers to amass a large dossier on your personal habits and inclinations. For example, presenting an ad based on the fact that you have visited a website. E.g, you go to a bike site, then you get an ad for bike related stuff. That doesn't require them knowing my age, medical conditions, where I went to college, went on vacation or my favorite website. Also, if I'm interested in looking for a product, I can simply go searching for a product. I don't need the services of big brother to target me with them.

I rarely go on FB. I use ad and tracking blockers (Ghostery, Privacy Badger, DuckDuckGo) on Firefox. This puts a huge dent in my getting targeted ads. But I'm under no illusion that there's isn't a huge trove of my personal data out there available for anyone to buy.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,120 Posts
Perhaps "conspiracy" wasn't the perfect term. However, there certainly is an organized infrastructure that works together toward the goal of putting internet ads in front of you, sending you junk email, text messages, etc. There are companies (not just Farcebook, but numerous others you never heard of) that hoover up your data from any and all sources they can acquire, then sell it to those wanting to sell you something. If you like that, then fine for you, but I and many others don't want the details of my life to be available to any bidder. There are other models for targeting ads that do not require data mongers to amass a large dossier on your personal habits and inclinations. For example, presenting an ad based on the fact that you have visited a website. E.g, you go to a bike site, then you get an ad for bike related stuff. That doesn't require them knowing my age, medical conditions, where I went to college, went on vacation or my favorite website. Also, if I'm interested in looking for a product, I can simply go searching for a product. I don't need the services of big brother to target me with them.
Yeah, I get that.

I'm not condoning the privacy issues, I'm just saying that I'm not surprised that companies who spend money on advertising want their ads to be effective as possible. Using any technology available to them to do so.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Coincidence.....

We were discussing a city during hallway talk one day. Later that day, one of the Iphones received a random call originating from that city.

AD's from internet searches are not going to go away. I have office furniture ads on today's sidebar of this thread -I was looking at office furniture last night.

Instagram ad's are based on user browse rate. If you see an ad you like and stop scrolling, Instagram algorithm recognizes the category and additional ad's within a category will be on your feed. I'd expect most bits of social media are similar. I've terminated my Instagram and have no other social media to use as a comparison for how they may control ad sources.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did any of you watch the show "Next"?
It was way too close to the truth, the second season was cancelled.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,186 Posts
If you think that your internet browsing data doesn’t make its way into the hands of advertisers, I’m surprised you make enough money to have the ability to buy a nice bike.

Read this article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, they're listening, but the trade-off is everything you do online that's "free".

Your devices are loaded with tens of thousands of cookies whose job is to mine, store, track, trade, and sell everything you do on your device. You can marvel at their wizardry, complain idiotically, or be diligent about what cookies you accept when visiting websites, permanently delete search assistants, and auto-clear site cookies when closing a tab.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I turn off all that listening crap as much as I can on all of my devices. Ghostery is a nice plug in for firefox that stops a lot of the data mining. I use fake email addresses and phone numbers for sites that require them for access. I've never had a facebook. Google phones like the Pixel give you a little bit of control (or false confidence?) to turn off individual apps access to microphones, camera, etc.

I've never enabled any sort of "AI assistant", those are the most egregious offenders. As someone here mentioned, their phone or laptop was listening. Which doesn't take a genius to deduce...if your phone is always listening in case you say "hey siri, Ok google, or Alexa" then what makes you think it's not listening/recording everything else. Same with face detection. Your camera is always on/recording! Think about that.

It's super shady and annoying, but conspiracy? no, the truth is you've agreed to all of this by clicking on an EULA or simply by downloading the app. I'm not the first to point out the hilariousness of all those people claiming Bill Gates put a tracking chip in the Covid-19 vaccine, when all those same people enable all of these things on their phones.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts