·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Excellent!

I take my kids all over the place in the trailer. Phoenix trails are a little too rocky for it though. My daughter just graduated to an Adams trail-a-bike. I put a 2.3 bmx tire on it at about 10 lbs of air and it goes all day on singletrack.

Nothing like pulling an extra 70 lbs behind you for training purposes.

·
Pretty in Pink
628 Posts
three out of the four of you forgot diapers?

Men.. :p

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looks like a good time! My kids love our trailer, I need to get them out in it more often.

itsdoable said:
At the Kiddie/food break, we discovered that 3 of us forgot to pack diapers...
Been there done that. I'm not very good at remembering those kinds of things...

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Those look like Chariot trailers, correct? We have the Cougar model for our little one. She goes along most of the time these days. Used to do 30+ milers with her back when we lived in WV along the GRT. Fixed it to the back of the road bike and would pull her all over the Highland Scenic Highway. Nothing says "training" like a 5 mile climb with 40 pounds behind you. The XC ski adapter for the trailer is a lot of fun for winter.

How on earth do you forget diapers??

·
achiever
1,024 Posts
Awesome!

We no longer have to worry about forgetting the diapers and Dad even gets a little help pedaling!

(Thanks to The Hare for the pic)

Red and Little Red

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
We're past this, now, but my son and I put a lot of miles in using either his Yak trailer or trail-a-bike --virtually none on pavement. Trailers and trail-a's rock. Great way to get the kids out, while getting strong.

For those considering, the one key factor I can tell you is that you want a trailer with a "sling seat", as opposed to the Costco or other such trailers where the child sits on the floor of the trailer. You don't "need" the suspension on the Chariots, but you DO need to have them off the floor.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I really like the Trek GoBug. It is pricey, but nice. Unfortunately, the trails around here aren't suitable for the trailer. We do have some good paved bike paths though.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
powergels? check!
pbj's for the kids? check!
enough water for all? check!
spare tubes? check!
tools? check!

anything else?

dan??
mike??

no? good to go... let's ride!

I agree with durtgurl, that line is the PERFECT caption for the picture.
Ah well, usually wait until they're about 7 to pull the old "pinecone TP" joke on them... guess that one came early? :D

·
Singletrack groupie
70 Posts
Thats awesome! I wish I'd had rides like that as a kid!

Maybe kid's trailers with a set of Rp23's for suspension is next....begin the concept designs! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awesome subject we have just invested the money in a Burley Solo ST ourselves. We took it out for its first real "trail" ride last night at a large organized group ride. It was alot of fun only a few minor clearance issues on some tight singletrack. My only word of advice is that the suspension supplied with the trailer is set for around 52 lbs. If you have a light child you can get a softer suspension to compensate which we have on the way to us now. You have to call Burley and ask them about it as I've never seen it advertised anywhere, but they do carry it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I logged many miles dragging my kiddo in a trailer with my SS. We have about 4-5 miles of crush granite hike & bikes in in my neighborhood with 3 pretty long hills. It's a killer workout dragging 40 lbs of kid/trailer/snacks/stuffed animals, etc. when the wheels are sinking in 3" of granite! 3 laps of that was my mid-week training ride for 2+ years.

Funniest thing to ever happen was doing loops near my office along the big hike & bike in town. I kept noticing the joggers (there's dozens) all kept cracking up as I'd ride by. I'd heard I had a cute kid, but they were really cracking up. :confused: Finally as I hit a washboard section I slowed down and leaned way back to listen to see if she was still ok. What all the fuss was about was she'd start going "uhhhhhhh" everytime I'd hit a washboard. She was doing the full range "uhhhhhh, uuuuHHHHH, UHHHHHH" cracked me up. :thumbsup: :lol:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
DurtGurl said:
That pic with that quote is just priceless!!! was the guy standing with his hands on his hips the dad who remembered to pack the diapers?

(guy on left was a 5th rider, left his kids & diapers at home)

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
13 hours later and this still cracks me up! So I'm guessing you were the guy who was taking the photo and remembered the diapers and that is your trailer on the far left? Big question is whether or not you shared any of those three diapers...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts