Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4.8 minions were what I always had and they were better than the kenda juggs I had before that, but I finally got my hands on some Bud n Lous and HOLY jeez, I’m in heaven! Just the right mix of bouncy and supple, I will never get tired of playing with these.

But horror of horrors, these sweet bazongas are well used and somewhat stretched out. Too much sidewall pressure results in the dreaded milky discharge, so they’ll need replaced. Luckily, that won’t require big $ or surgery. The kind folks at Universal are packing up a fresh set as I type this.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,568 Posts
4.8 minions were what I always had and they were better than the kenda juggs I had before that, but I finally got my hands on some Bud n Lous and HOLY jeez, I’m in heaven! Just the right mix of bouncy and supple, I will never get tired of playing with these.

But horror of horrors, these sweet bazongas are well used and somewhat stretched out. Too much sidewall pressure results in the dreaded milky discharge, so they’ll need replaced. Luckily, that won’t require big $ or surgery. The kind folks at Universal are packing up a fresh set as I type this.
A little late to the party on the Bud/Lou, are we??
I have 7 seasons on one pair and they have never been ridden without wrinkly sidewalls. The other pair are used for backcountry rides where a Jumbo doesn't quite make the cut.

One question is what sealant are you using?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I'm a HUGE fan of B/L in snow. I have about 5 seasons on my set - they've seen very very little dirt - so are in almost new, perfect condition still. All the better for those gnarly knobs to dig into snow.

COBikeman

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
07C2F637-5933-4327-B9C3-236D4B74A2D2.jpeg
When you look at a set of bigguns like these, you know they’ll deliver on grip and be good in snow but I was shocked by the speed compared to minions. Everywhere. Mine are mounted for cornering and it may take a while to adjust to the new limits. Pic taken after a spirited romp at 6-7 psi with o seal endurance.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Spectacular tires! In my opinion, still the best in soft snow. Terrene Johnny 5s are as good for forward propulsion and ice but Bud has the edge for steering control.

·
Thingamejigger
1,229 Posts
Are we sure that the tyre is mounted correctly, i.e. popped into the bead set on the rim, as that looks like its leaking around the bead?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Bud and Lou are the reason I won't go 27.5 in fat. Bud is such a dependable year round tire, its a shame they don't make it in 27.5.

·
This place needs an enema
15,707 Posts
View attachment 1923601 When you look at a set of bigguns like these, you know they’ll deliver on grip and be good in snow but I was shocked by the speed compared to minions. Everywhere. Mine are mounted for cornering and it may take a while to adjust to the new limits. Pic taken after a spirited romp at 6-7 psi with o seal endurance.

Which rims are you blowing sealant out of there?

And, are your B/L pre-tubeless versions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which rims are you blowing sealant out of there?

And, are your B/L pre-tubeless versions?
Rear HED BAD and front mulefut both leak when I push on the bead. These are OE from borealis circa 2016, so pre tubeless and well worn. As for the mounting, the witness line at the bead is completely visible but these ol funbags slid into place without much of a pop, so I think they are well past their prime.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,568 Posts
Rear HED BAD and front mulefut both leak when I push on the bead. These are OE from borealis circa 2016, so pre tubeless and well worn. As for the mounting, the witness line at the bead is completely visible but these ol funbags slid into place without much of a pop, so I think they are well past their prime.
The pre tubeless version had a loose fit when they were pulled out of the box new. I had to build up the bead seat with an extra layer of tape to solve the easy leak issue.
Regardless, the Bud/Lou are one of my favorite tires and the Mayor likes em too!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
For $20 bucks in flashing tape, you may be able to resurrect these. All three fatbikes in the fleet are running non-tubeless ready Bud/Lou combos set up tubeless. Some are snug, some just a hair loose and loose some air with time (not during rides). As I cycle around to cleaning out old sealant and reinstalling these tires, I've added a layer of the Zip flashing tape over the mulefut tape (sorry (or not - apparently) no experience on HED's). These seal up sooo well now, that I don't think my wife's had to add ANY air to her tires in the last several rides. YMMV, but it works great for me. I really like the stuff. Mulefeet and MYOBD rims.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the same tires on the same bike. Excellent results. Though I went the other way and had these tires before getting the bike.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
That's good to know. I picked up a pair of lightly used 4.8 Bud and Lou a couple months ago, but haven't mounted them yet because, I wasn't sure how they'd mount up tubeless and I really didn't have any big complaints with the minion's the bike came with except traction in loose snow, and wondered if the bigger knobs would be slower rolling and have more self steering issues than the minions on groomed, harder packed trails (disclaimer: this is my first fat bike so don't have a lot to compare to).

When did they start making them tubeless ready? I think these are less than a year old. Is there a way to tell just looking at them? Some kind of labeling, etc?

·
Rippin da fAt
8,568 Posts
That's good to know. I picked up a pair of lightly used 4.8 Bud and Lou a couple months ago, but haven't mounted them yet because, I wasn't sure how they'd mount up tubeless and I really didn't have any big complaints with the minion's the bike came with except traction in loose snow, and wondered if the bigger knobs would be slower rolling and have more self steering issues than the minions on groomed, harder packed trails (disclaimer: this is my first fat bike so don't have a lot to compare to).

When did they start making them tubeless ready? I think these are less than a year old. Is there a way to tell just looking at them? Some kind of labeling, etc?
Self steer??? What is this, you say?

I have been on Bud/Lou since 2014. They have never been ridden with more than 5 psi, ever. There is no real self steer down to 2 psi, which they ride at frequently in the snow. When I mention snow, I surely don't mean a dusting, I mean snow with several feet of base snow. 10,000' elevation serves this stuff up handily.
Many times, there is sufficient snow on the trail systems close to my front door, making my home "ride in, ride out" property! So, these tires do see many, many miles of wrinkly, spongy miles and a bonus, they just do not self steer!

Self steer is typical with tires that are either 2 ply or low thread count. The stiffer the casing, the more self steer to be experienced when the air pressure is where it belongs for snow riding. Vee Missions were the king of self steer since they were stupid stiff and non flexible at summer temps let alone winter temps.

As for determining age, the tubeless version came out a little more than a year ago. Non tubeless has been around for a long time. If a bloke were to inspect my circa 2014's, there would be one way to know they were at least 2 years old due to old school non tubeless bead. Check for dry rot or weather checking, especially between the treads where the tread lugs meet the casing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I wouldn’t wait to mount em up. Those OE minions will last a long time. That’s probably their main attribute along with the ability to flick and drift into turns. B&L will have none of that foolishness, they just grip all the time and as Banshee said, self steer is virtually nil. My new ones are labeled tubeless ready on the sidewall
7A8BC1E4-9314-4685-80E6-5A2F455408AA.jpeg

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Thanks for the replies BansheeRune and BradPitted. The Bud/Lou seem to have a very light, flexible sidewall for sure. Wasn't sure how that effected tire feel on cornering and steering in high grip situations. I do get a fair amount of riding on pavement/dirt/frozen mud and mixed conditions living in the high desert and that's where I notice the most self-steer with my minions, especially if I don't stop to air them back up after being on the looser snow main part of my rides.

I could avoid most of the the dirt/frozen mud/mixed packed snow and ice if I always drove to the trailhead.

I'll get them mounted and report back.... you know, next winter. Sounds like I'm going to like them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone tell me why my pics keep showing double? I thought my posting woes ended with the site revamp. At least they’re right side up now.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,568 Posts
Bueller has left the building

Double post of pix happens when you click something following pic selection. Just upload it once by drag and drop, hit enter to get to new line for text, add text, hit post...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts