Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I've done lots of reading, and I think I've found an okay upgrade for my 2012 Rockhopper 29er, but I just want to confirm that these components will all work together properly.

Chain - SRAM pc971 9spd chain
SRAM PC971 9 Speed Chain | Chain Reaction Cycles

Shifters - Shimano Deore M590 9spd trigger shifter (pair)
Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Trigger Shifter | Chain Reaction Cycles

Front derailleur - Shimano Deore M591 conventional 9spd
<a href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-deore-m591-conventional-9sp-front-mech/rp-prod40546Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9spdhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-slx-m662-shadow-9-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod28033" target="_blank">Shimano Deore M591 Conventional 9sp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9spd
Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Everything I've read leads me to believe that these will all be suitable replacements, but I don't want to buy everything and find out that something is not compatible.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
They should be fine. Unless you currently have a 10 spd setup on it.....

But depending on how much use on drivetrain, make sure your cassette isn't too worn otherwise you may have some shifting/skipping issues with new chain. Wouldn't hurt to add a cassette in the mix since you're replacing every other moving part.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
They should be fine. Unless you currently have a 10 spd setup on it.....

But depending on how much use on drivetrain, make sure your cassette isn't too worn otherwise you may have some shifting/skipping issues with new chain. Wouldn't hurt to add a cassette in the mix since you're replacing every other moving part.
^--yup!! though I think I'd get higher end shifters, you'll notice the differance going up one or 2,.. but it looks like you got a really decent setup there for a basic start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perfect, thanks guys.

I would like to get better shifters, but the deore ones are the most economical, but still 'okay' quality ones that I could find.

Good idea on the cassette, I didn't even think of that...

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
perfect, thanks guys.

I would like to get better shifters, but the deore ones are the most economical, but still 'okay' quality ones that I could find.

Good idea on the cassette, I didn't even think of that...
Agree with Thomllama, better performance out of higher quality shifters over fancy derailleurs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts