Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today and yesterday morning up early ready to go for a ride and the storms move in.hopefully it will clear this arvo and i can get a ride in.o well i'll go and check the surf out but don't hold out to much hope for that as it blowing onshore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hehe, this thread reminds me of another thread, which went OT... but in a positive way :p

I agree man, got up nice and early both days, and it's bucketed down so I haven't ridden all weekend... what a bumber.

Hopefully it will be nice and clear tomorrow so I can resume my cycling. :D

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Yeah I like bananas too... :D

And back on topic, gzzztt!!

I guess that other thread was getting a bit long hey!! :p

We had a bit of a storm roll through down here the other night too. First time in ages. Unfortunately it was all sheet lightning so I couldn’t try and impress Graeme with my wonderful photography skills. :D

Will post what I salvaged in the morning.

Got drenched in the rain this arvo too. It looses it's fun once you start getting cold...

Cheers, Dave.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
I got drenched yesterday arvo too. Bloody storms .... ;) We've had five or six come through since last Tuesday.

Still went riding in the stuff though - great fun playing in the rain.

(I thought talking about the weather was just a way of making small talk. It's hard to stay on topic without sounding like a farmer! ;))

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Well the suns back out again now. Time for some riding!

A couple of shots from the other night before the rain and mist came in. It was all sheet lightning, but I managed to snap a couple of poor forks. Compressed them a little too much so have lost quality.

I've got a couple of hundred shots that look brighter then daytime due to 15 sec exposures and way to much sheet lightning...

I think lightning is the worlds brightest HID. Pure white light, and literally brighter then daytime!! :D

Dave.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
If I may presume to pass on some tips for these shots:
  • Use metered manual mode, "bulb" shutter speed and a cable release (if you can). Otherwise, use your max shutter time (probably 15s), plus a tripod.
  • Set your ISO to its lowest value. 100 is good, 50 is better
  • set your aperture to f8 for the shot when you can hear the thunder but it's not so close that it is scaring the sh!t out of you.
  • Set it for f11 when it is that close, or f5.6 when it's further away
  • Use a wide angle lens when you can - it's better to get too much sky and show the whole bolt than it is to get partial bolts.

Doing these things will stop your exposures being washed out by the lighting and give better compositions.

We had more storms last night, but nothing photogenic enough to waste my film on. Probably get some more tonight.

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Cheers, I didn't realise until afterwards that I'd left the ISO on auto. It was sitting around 400 somewhere if I remember. My aperture was way off the mark to what you've suggested too.

It was kind of a last minute grab the camera and shoot scenario, I should have spent the time setting up as the storm lasted a good couple of hours too. Got caught in the moment a little. :D

My new tripod was in my car outside in the rain, so I sat the camera on a small beanbag on my balcony rail, which the thunder was strong enough to vibrate. :D

I've found one of the negative points of my new toy now too. I didn't quite have the cash for a decent Digital SLR, so I went for a Finepix 5600 Digital instead.

Obviously manual controls for everything, but I've found that the LCD display isn't good enough to pick out any detail in the dark, it just stays as a blank screen.

It’s pretty much point and shoot in the dark, where as with my old film SLR you could at least get an idea where you were pointing it!! I can see myself getting an upgrade within a year or so.

It’s all good fun though. I’ll just have to wait for a real storm!

Dave.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey those shots turned out alright.You have a hell of a view from your veranda.Can you surf down there?I vote to go down there for the MTBR get together rideSurfing and riding in the one day sure sounds good.What do you think Ozlongboarder?The only thing that would top that if you could go snow skiing also in the one day.

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Surf in the morning and arvo/night ride sounds good to me. Whats the water temp like this time of year Low_Rider?

We need to start a MTBR gathering thread and make it a sticky....Trevor can you do that?

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Here's my effort from last Tuesday (22/11/05):

This storm was coming in while I was on my first night ride. Made me ride just that little bit faster .....

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
That is pretty freakin sweet. Is it just camera work or do you enhance the pic with the computer?
Mostly done in the camera, though I have cropped, adjusted curves and burnt & dodged some areas (same as would be done in the darkroom).

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Just awesome Graeme!!

bigdamo - Yeah the views pretty sweet. You should see it in the daytime; I'm a very lucky boy!! :D

I will start a MTBR gathering thread and wait from Trevor to do some sticky taping for us!!

Dave.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those storms did it again.Was going to go for a ride this afternoon and bang 4.00pm black as the ace of spades.Should have went there just hitting now.Oh well try again tomorrow arvo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bigdamo said:
Those storms did it again.Was going to go for a ride this afternoon and bang 4.00pm black as the ace of spades.Should have went there just hitting now.Oh well try again tomorrow arvo.
I went for a ride this arvo.... I found out that continuously dropping a really really garbage bike off even the smallest of drops will screw up everything big time... to the extent that the bike is nearly totally dead :p

Count down till trek 6500 or GT Avalanche Expert If anyone would like to make a suggestion on which one I should get, feel free to comment. :D

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
autumn acid said:
I went for a ride this arvo.... I found out that continuously dropping a really really garbage bike off even the smallest of drops will screw up everything big time... to the extent that the bike is nearly totally dead :p

Count down till trek 6500 or GT Avalanche Expert If anyone would like to make a suggestion on which one I should get, feel free to comment. :D
How much you spending? How tall are you?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.