Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man... That internet sure is smart. It knows just what a few folks need around here.

I think Mikesee has always said it best though, with his "This place needs an enema" line.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firefox plug-ins are free, and VPN is cheap...
I don't know what any of that means and fear I don't have the smarts to know if the thread has already been derailed.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm always amused when people comment they're seeing weird or inappropriate ads. I remind them the ads they see are often generated by algorithms that use their browsing and search history to determine ad content. If you see ads for STD meds, then, well... :rolleyes:

All I see are endless HomeDepot and JensonUSA ads. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remind them the ads they see are often generated by algorithms that use their browsing and search history to determine ad content.
I understand that, but I haven't done any google searches for emotional intelligence courses, just like I haven't searched for protecting a law practice, Iams indoor cat food, or Chevy trucks, but they cycled through the ad window on the thread listing just the same.

Could the settings here be so in tune that they're picking up on our conversations in the threads and placing ads based on that? I know there was a lot of talk about trucks recently, and immature ranting is all too common here.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I understand that, but I haven't done any google searches for emotional intelligence courses, just like I haven't searched for protecting a law practice, Iams indoor cat food, or Chevy trucks, but they cycled through the ad window on the thread listing just the same.
While directly running a search for something is excellent signal for ad targeting, it's not the only piece of data that's used. In other instances, you could be targeted based on where you live and the likelihood that the people around you are interested in those topics. e.g. Ohio will get a different ad distribution than California. And 20-year-olds will get a different set of ads than 30-year-olds.

Could the settings here be so in tune that they're picking up on our conversations in the threads and placing ads based on that? I know there was a lot of talk about trucks recently, and immature ranting is all too common here.
Possible, but highly unlikely. It's very hard to infer product topics from non-product talk. This is a big reason why it was so hard for Facebook to monetize in the early 2010s. Google had a much easier job in the sense that when you're entering a query, you're soliciting information, as opposed to FB (or mtbr) which is trying to advertise to you without you wanting it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I understand that, but I haven't done any google searches for emotional intelligence courses
Try using more woke terms in your searches and posts, like 'my pronouns' and 'thats racist' and 'cisgender' and 'non-binary' and whatever else is the term du jour. Then the algorithms will assume you are woke and stop recommending emotional intelligence courses. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I do not own or have any relation with the forum owner. But as a reminder, the forum is in part supported by these ads, that are paid per visualization. Use of ad blockers decrease revenue of the forum.

That said, I have no shame in using ad blockers on forums that are set for too invasive ads.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm always amused when people comment they're seeing weird or inappropriate ads. I remind them the ads they see are often generated by algorithms that use their browsing and search history to determine ad content. If you see ads for STD meds, then, well... :rolleyes:

All I see are endless HomeDepot and JensonUSA ads. Just sayin'.
My problem is my phone and my wife's are somewhat synced, so the targeted ads always tattle on me to her when I'm shopping for new gear. 😄

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
I do not own or have any relation with the forum owner. But as a reminder, the forum is in part supported by these ads, that are paid per visualization. Use of ad blockers decrease revenue of the forum.

That said, I have no shame in using ad blockers on forums that are set for too invasive ads.
Feel free (ha) to upgrade.

Premium members also get to:

Post while raving drunk

Post off-colour jokes and memes, receiving only light slaps on the wrist

Post in the 'anal RV' thread

Receive same swag the mods get

Post under up to 10 separate accounts (just like Picard!)

You're able to use the word 'retarded' with no fear of repercussion

Use the company bbq grill without cleaning it up!

Paint the company HQ without using that pesky blue tape

And many, many other perks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The OP may be interested in all these benefits...
I'd pony up the cash if there were an anti-a-hole filter as part of the package. I realize you can just ignore people with a click of a button and then not see any of their posts, but then the conversations in the threads wouldn't make much sense.

It really surprises me how the mods don't run a few people off. I get that everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'll be the first to defend people's right to feel differently than anyone else, but some people around here can really be huge dicks.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
I'd pony up the cash if there were an anti-a-hole filter as part of the package. I realize you can just ignore people with a click of a button and then not see any of their posts, but then the conversations in the threads wouldn't make much sense.

It really surprises me how the mods don't run a few people off. I get that everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'll be the first to defend people's right to feel differently than anyone else, but some people around here can really be huge dicks.
Huh. What'd I say.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Exactly like life, my friend. We cannot cancel people out of the world. At least we shouldn't.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Huh. What'd I say.
I'm sure I'm not reading that post the right way and I'm probably not getting what you mean by it, but I'll say I wasn't talking about you. I don't recall you being a dick in the past.

Some of the other regulars around here though... it just seems like it's a waiting game until a thread becomes an altercation when some of these guys show up.

Reactions: Finch Platte
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.