Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since there hasn't been a ton of feedback about Mary out there I guess I leave my two cents for you guys to consider. I mounted the Mary to the stem I was using previously; set-up was Thomson 100mm and an Easton Monkeylite 1.5inch riser. Brant mentioned that being able to run the same stem was one of his design criteria for the Mary and he seems to have succeeded: the grips were just slightly lower and aft of where they used to be. I liked the feeling of the bars when I put a slightly downward angle on them so that's how they stayed. The first couple rides have brought mixed results.

Posatives: Way more comfortable in general. I feel like my body was made for this type of bar (or something similar) over a riser. Climbing and descending both felt more natural too. I felt like I could adjust my weight and body position better on the descents and the bar seemed to provide better leverage when I had my hands all the way on the ends of the bar for the climbs. Overall this bar has provided me with an improved overall position on the bike and more confidence ascending and descending.

Negatives: First, I'll say that I think that both of my gripes can be corrected with proper set-up, I just havn't finished tweaking it yet. First, with my old stem the bike felt a little unstable in the turns. Those who know me know that my bike is way too small for me, but I am talking now about the way the bike handles with the Mary compared to my old set-up. So, the bike was twitchy before and no it's a bit more so. So I put a longer stem (120) on and that helped qite a bit. I'd say that problem has been solved. Second gripe is with my hand position. I'm still trying to get the perfect angle so that no particular part of my hand starts to ache: the first ride brought pain to the outer (pinky, ring) part so I adjusted the angle of the bar down a few degrees so that mor of my weight rested on my thumg and pointer finger. I havn't yet trail tested this yet but I am confident it will reap benifits. I can recall feeling more pressure on the outer part of my hand durring the installation set-up so we'll see.

This bar is fine, and I'm keeping it. Time will tell if Mary is good for the honeymoon only or if this is a long term relationship. If you are on the fense, I'd say go get yourself one. I think it addresses all of my reservations about the Jones bar (you Jones guys don't get offended), especially the price, while still providing the benefits. And yes, I know it doesn't have the same sweep angle, but you can still put your brake levers where you really want them and who the hell needs those kooky "bar end" things anyway? The picture is with the Thomson.
 

Attachments

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Not on the fence any more

Now it's just a matter of spending the cash. Did you order direct from on one, or from somewhere in the US. What was the total if from on one? Thanks for the great review, I am convinced, just need to figure out which way will be cheaper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Nice review, thanks.
I have not had a chance to trail test mine yet, but I have romped it around the neighborhood. There was one particular hill that is smooth, but pretty steep (off the back steep). I noticed that it was a little easier to get off the back with the bars than on my other bikes (riser and a flat bar). Did you notice the same thing on rockier terrain? I also noticed it put a bit more stress on the grips (the source of my other thread) to hang off the back of these bars versus my other bars. I have them set up similar to yours (angled down a bit), this was actually a pleasant surprise for me. There seems to be a lot of adjustability in hand position simply by rotating the bar in the stem.

1 cog, I ordered mine from on-one (I think on-one gets a bit support that way). The total was 42 GBP. The US total will vary depending on your credit card and the current exchange rate. I think it was around $1.8 to the pound when I ordered mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greenfix said:
Nice review, thanks.
I have not had a chance to trail test mine yet, but I have romped it around the neighborhood. There was one particular hill that is smooth, but pretty steep (off the back steep). I noticed that it was a little easier to get off the back with the bars than on my other bikes (riser and a flat bar). Did you notice the same thing on rockier terrain? I also noticed it put a bit more stress on the grips (the source of my other thread) to hang off the back of these bars versus my other bars. I have them set up similar to yours (angled down a bit), this was actually a pleasant surprise for me. There seems to be a lot of adjustability in hand position simply by rotating the bar in the stem.

1 cog, I ordered mine from on-one (I think on-one gets a bit support that way). The total was 42 GBP. The US total will vary depending on your credit card and the current exchange rate. I think it was around $1.8 to the pound when I ordered mine.
I agree completely with yor obsevations: I can get more/different hand postions with the Mary simply because I can move my hands fore and aft as opposed to in and out (towards and away from the stem) which makes for a lot more leverage. These things were good in the rocks too once I switched the stem out for a longer one. I have lock-on grips and yes, there seems to be more strees on them than with risers but the stress seems more even and spread out. The wear on my grips with the riser was localized to the very ends. Not so with these. Also, my hands arn't going numb in that area which is really nice. The multiple positions make for better descending too. Yeah, I can relly put my weight farther back with these.
 

·
stop...safety first
Joined
·
258 Posts
To add stability I also angled my brake lever a bit more downward than on my riser bar. This kind of pushed my elbows out and made it easy to use body english. Actually Ive no clue about the physics, but tilting the brake gave me more high speed stability.

Something not mentioned yet is hopping. the angle of the bar give anemic bunnyhoppers like myself more leverage to pick up the back wheel. It is very noticable when I ride around my yard with non-spd shoes on.

Has anyone used cork-tape on their mary bar? if so show a pic.
 

·
A hopped on pop.
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
1 cog frog said:
Now it's just a matter of spending the cash. Did you order direct from on one, or from somewhere in the US. What was the total if from on one? Thanks for the great review, I am convinced, just need to figure out which way will be cheaper!
webcyclery has some coming in VERY soon. they are $55 plus shipping. it's abit cheaper than the $85 shipped from on-one direct from the uk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
us mary orders will be billed at $75 inc shipping for mainland orders as of now, and dispatched from our CA warehouse.
we did just process some others at a slightly higher rate (due to airfreight vs sea freight shipping costs) but they will get a present in addition to their bar :)
 

·
semi-evolved simian
Joined
·
330 Posts
Kam said:
webcyclery has some coming in VERY soon. they are $55 plus shipping. it's abit cheaper than the $85 shipped from on-one direct from the uk.
Just got an email from Mean Todd, Mary's arrived at Webcyclery. Mine are on the truck and due to arrive on Tuesday :D
 

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Mine too

Just got my shipping confirmation email too. Just in time to put it on my new zion, 1st dedicated ss, she's gonna be a black beauty. Pics to follow. Cheers and thanks for a great product Brant!
 

·
Totally, and to the max.
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
I just received mine from Brant last week...

and although I haven't had a chance to trail test them, a few spins around the block have proven them to be very comfortable. I also angled mine down, about the same angle of my top tube. I have a greater need for these bars than most people due to a wrist/hand problem called "bossing", which is when one of the little wrist bones rides up over another one, creating a lump on the top of my hand and making for very painful rides. I had to ditch my lovely 1.2 lb. ti rigid fork for this reason and riser bars just exacerbated the problem. I think these bars will really minimize the discomfort I experience, which will be good since I'll be putting in a few thousand miles in the month of June. We're going on a 6 week cycling trip through Europe so I'll put these through the ultimate test.

Kinda wish I'd known I could get them cheaper, although I appreciate On-One going out on a limb to produce stuff like this. Good work...

Pic warning: gear content. But also, beer content. So that makes up for it...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K-max said:
and although I haven't had a chance to trail test them, a few spins around the block have proven them to be very comfortable. I also angled mine down, about the same angle of my top tube. I have a greater need for these bars than most people due to a wrist/hand problem called "bossing", which is when one of the little wrist bones rides up over another one, creating a lump on the top of my hand and making for very painful rides. I had to ditch my lovely 1.2 lb. ti rigid fork for this reason and riser bars just exacerbated the problem. I think these bars will really minimize the discomfort I experience, which will be good since I'll be putting in a few thousand miles in the month of June. We're going on a 6 week cycling trip through Europe so I'll put these through the ultimate test.

Kinda wish I'd known I could get them cheaper, although I appreciate On-One going out on a limb to produce stuff like this. Good work...

Pic warning: gear content. But also, beer content. So that makes up for it...
At least you're rigid. And then, THERE'S BEER. Have fun. Nice set-up (both bike and beer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I haven't had the set-up out on dirt yet, but I do have some road riding in on them. The initial set-up was to drop them "Shiggy Style" ala upside down, but they were too low. Great for street riding and xc racing, but a bit too low for me. Just flipping the bars made it way too high. The damn bars seemed to sit so high. I did do some stair runs just to check it out, but I still felt a bit high. The sweep of the bars makes it feel like the hand position is wider than it is, even though it was just about the same width as the riser bars I had on there. The acutal rise is less, but the sweep makes the bars feel higher than they actually are. Thank goodness I thought ahead and left a bit of steering tube long with spacers. I just switched a couple of the spacers and took a ride around and it was about the same height as the riser bar I was using. The hand position feels great.

I guess I will post pics when I can figure out how to. ;)

BTW....

Set-up

TST Hardtail
Mars fork (soon to be marathon race)
Older 8-speed/shimano stuff
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top