Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary Bar riders, and anyone else...

I just received a pair of Mary Bars, and as I'm holding them, I can't help but think they would be more comfortable inverted--meaning that there would be less rotation of the wrist outward. It seems to me that with the bars inverted the wrists would remain straighter, and probably be less fatiguing.

I've been having some tendinitus problems in my elbow, and I want to try a different set up, but having my wrists turned out will not help. I know that GlowBoy and LJintheUK have run the bars inverted.

Has anyone else installed them in both directions? Do you have a preference? GB, and LJ, are your bars still inverted?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jl said:
Mary Bar riders, and anyone else...

I just received a pair of Mary Bars, and as I'm holding them, I can't help but think they would be more comfortable inverted--meaning that there would be less rotation of the wrist outward. It seems to me that with the bars inverted the wrists would remain straighter, and probably be less fatiguing.

I've been having some tendinitus problems in my elbow, and I want to try a different set up, but having my wrists turned out will not help. I know that GlowBoy and LJintheUK have run the bars inverted.

Has anyone else installed them in both directions? Do you have a preference? GB, and LJ, are your bars still inverted?
I much prefer bars inverted. It gives you a better and easier grip. I feel like I am in the bar rather than on the bar.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
I much prefer bars inverted. It gives you a better and easier grip. I feel like I am in the bar rather than on the bar.
Shiggy, thanks for the response. Did/Would you change your stem to a higher angled stem? Right now I have a 100mm 5deg stem. I'm thinking I might need a 110 20-25...

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
jl said:
Shiggy, thanks for the response. Did/Would you change your stem to a higher angled stem? Right now I have a 100mm 5deg stem. I'm thinking I might need a 110 20-25...
I'm totally confused. I've got Marys on my bike in the garage. I don't understand how the grip will change if it is inverted. Won't it be just the same but lower (once you adjust angle for comfort)???

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
I'm totally confused. I've got Marys on my bike in the garage. I don't understand how the grip will change if it is inverted. Won't it be just the same but lower (once you adjust angle for comfort)???
Yup, the bar sweep angle is the same inverted or not. For a second there I thought he meant inverting them so that they sweep foward but that'd be crazy for anyone with normal anatomy. It is a good way of fine tuning the height though.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The difference, apart from height which could be spacered, would be the part where the rise comes from, near the stem. Inverted that obviously slopes down, something I apreciate in the inverted trekking bars I've tried. For the rest it's all mental I think, but I do prefer the inverted look.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I prefer the Mary's inverted. Mostly because the rise on them gives too much of the easy rider syndrome on sus-corrected 29ers for my taste but also I think they look much nicer. However on my last trip to the Alps I put them on the conventional way for a bit more downhill control and I couldn't really notice any difference in hand position.
If you have wrist problems mounting them right way up would be better, as it'll put you in a more upright position with less bodyweight on your hands. Of course you could achieve the same position inverted with a high rise stem or spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
I tried them inverted but now have them "normal." I liked how the section of bar next to the stem was angled downward, which gave a comfortable hand position for non-technical cruising, but I was pretty inept on technical singletrack with the bar inverted. I think it had more to do with the grip section being 3" lower than I like more than anything else. I couldn't get the front end up very well with the bar that low. I also like how my hands could slide forward into the "hooks" of the inverted bar. The grip angle was the same upsside down or right side up I think.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My thoughts

When brown santa first delivered my Mary bar, I didn't know if they would be very comfortable at all by merely seeing what they felt like out of the box. Now that they are on the bike (and compared to a 10mm shorter stem and 26" Easton Monkey Lite) they feel great. What really made a big improvement was when I accidently flipped the stem before a ride, I think they are now my favorite bar ever. I guess I could try flipping the stem and running them inverted, but they feel perfect now. So, I hate to change.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nat said:
I tried them inverted but now have them "normal." I liked how the section of bar next to the stem was angled downward, which gave a comfortable hand position for non-technical cruising, but I was pretty inept on technical singletrack with the bar inverted. I think it had more to do with the grip section being 3" lower than I like more than anything else. I couldn't get the front end up very well with the bar that low. I also like how my hands could slide forward into the "hooks" of the inverted bar. The grip angle was the same upsside down or right side up I think.
Nat this is good feedback, since I've been mainly riding technical singletrack on the singlespeed. I was also concerned about the lifting the front end of bike.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LJintheUK said:
However on my last trip to the Alps I put them on the conventional way for a bit more downhill control and I couldn't really notice any difference in hand position.
This is what I was looking for. Before I put them on, I wanted to know if there was any difference, just holding them in mid-air, it seemed as if the bar angled differently with it inverted.

I'm going to install them conventionally and give it a ride (today or tomorrow).

·
Registered
702 Posts
jl said:
Nat this is good feedback, since I've been mainly riding technical singletrack on the singlespeed. I was also concerned about the lifting the front end of bike.
Right way up they definitely make the front easier to control and lift. But they are a bit too sit up and beg on the climbs for me. If you are SSing then you'll be climbing out of the saddle anyway so I'd say go right side up.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
jl said:
I wanted to try it inverted at my preferred height but couldn't find a tall enough (and cheap enough) stem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.