Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope just came out with their front 9mm conversion kit ($33.00 from hopetechusa.com / 1-800-303-6863) so we can replace our wimpy 5mm steel QR skewers with a 9mm thru-bolt like the DT Swiss RWS TB Aluminum "Skewer" ($45.00). Now you can stiffen up the front end a bit without buying a new fork/hub/wheel. Riders have been using a drill-press to ream-out Hope QR end caps for a while now... and the good folks at Hope obviously took notice. I checked with a few of my favorite online shops and none of them had any of the kits yet (the two end caps), so I ordered directly from Hope.

The aluminum RWS (Ratchet Wheelmounting System) weighs 52g and the XT skewer pictured here is considerably heavier. Props to Hope for making a system where you can change a hub from QR to 9mm to 15mm to 20mm so easily and inexpesively!!!
Here's a photo comparison:

Ride report to follow.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
how does it work for a truing stand? Do you leave the 9mm bolt in place, or do you need to order something like Problem Solvers for 9mm?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chollaball said:
how does it work for a truing stand? Do you leave the 9mm bolt in place, or do you need to order something like Problem Solvers for 9mm?
Since it fits a standard QR fork it should fit a truing stand - at least it does on my Ultimate stand.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
so there's only a 9 mm thru axle kit for the front hub? has anyone asked Hope when this will be avail for the rear Pro II hub?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
frorider said:
so there's only a 9 mm thru axle kit for the front hub? has anyone asked Hope when this will be avail for the rear Pro II hub?
To further clarify what jut8 said, the rear RWS skewer is a 10mm instead of a 9mm like the front. A bone stock 10mm thru hub should work

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, RWS are nice. I ran a rear one with a Saint hub for the last couple of years. Weight wise the rear is actually lighter than the XT qr (66g vs 76g respectively). I think up front the DT is about the same weight, so there really is no penalty here.

Cheap is a relative term. I don't consider $100 cheap. It is worth doing the upgrade, but that is getting close to my barrier to do some parts swapping. Doing the out with the old routine I would imagine for about that same $100 up to $200 over what you sell the old fork for you could upgrade to 20mm system and skip a step. If you are devoted to the 9mm fork though this may be a price you are willing to endure.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm scratching my head as I read this thread. I run either a Reba or a Exotic carbon rigid fork with a KCNC 21 gram skewer and it holds my wheel just fine in the dropouts of my forks. I feel like I'm looking at a solution to a non-existent problem.:yesnod:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I'm scratching my head as I read this thread. I run either a Reba or a Exotic carbon rigid fork with a KCNC 21 gram skewer and it holds my wheel just fine in the dropouts of my forks. I feel like I'l looking at a solution to a non-existent problem.:yesnod:
Its not that people are afraid their wheel will fall out of the fork, its that this type of skewer holds everything tighter in such a way that it even eliminates movement between the fork legs. That is where the extra stiffness comes from on a 20mm fork: the fact that the legs of the fork can't twist or move relative to each other. These skewers replicate some of that on a regular QR fork

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I'm scratching my head as I read this thread. I run either a Reba or a Exotic carbon rigid fork with a KCNC 21 gram skewer and it holds my wheel just fine in the dropouts of my forks. I feel like I'l looking at a solution to a non-existent problem.:yesnod:
just depends what you ride and how you ride. In my terrain in AZ, a TA is definitely a nice option.

·
Registered
261 Posts
BWG said:
Hope just came out with their front 9mm conversion kit ($33.00 from hopetechusa.com / 1-800-303-6863) so we can replace our wimpy 5mm steel QR skewers with a 9mm thru-bolt like the DT Swiss RWS TB Aluminum "Skewer" ($45.00). Now you can stiffen up the front end a bit without buying a new fork/hub/wheel. Riders have been using a drill-press to ream-out Hope QR end caps for a while now... and the good folks at Hope obviously took notice. I checked with a few of my favorite online shops and none of them had any of the kits yet (the two end caps), so I ordered directly from Hope.

The aluminum RWS (Ratchet Wheelmounting System) weighs 52g and the XT skewer pictured here is considerably heavier. Props to Hope for making a system where you can change a hub from QR to 9mm to 15mm to 20mm so easily and inexpesively!!!
Here's a photo comparison:

Ride report to follow.
Hey BWG, this is a great post. It's nice to see riders interested in helping other riders. And the pics are outstanding in their detail.:thumbsup:

I'm just a tiny bit confused about one thing. It seems like you are showing a comparison between the DT RWS system and a regular QR skewer, although you are posting about the HOPE system.

Are you saying that the DT RWS is what one uses on a HOPE hub? Or, is the HOPE system similar enough to the DT's that one can understand it the same way. I have the DT system, it works great, and I'd recommend it to anyone (although a tiny grumble - it's not really a "ratcheting system").

Do you have pics of the HOPE system? Sorry if I'm just missing something. Thanks,

E

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
theycallmeE said:
Hey BWG, this is a great post. It's nice to see riders interested in helping other riders. And the pics are outstanding in their detail.:thumbsup:

I'm just a tiny bit confused about one thing. It seems like you are showing a comparison between the DT RWS system and a regular QR skewer, although you are posting about the HOPE system.

Are you saying that the DT RWS is what one uses on a HOPE hub? Or, is the HOPE system similar enough to the DT's that one can understand it the same way. I have the DT system, it works great, and I'd recommend it to anyone (although a tiny grumble - it's not really a "ratcheting system").

Do you have pics of the HOPE system? Sorry if I'm just missing something. Thanks,

E
DT Swiss makes the oversized skewers seen in the picture, but it won't work in a Hope hub without special replacement endcaps from Hope that were not previously available

·
Registered
261 Posts
boomn said:
DT Swiss makes the oversized skewers seen in the picture, but it won't work in a Hope hub without special replacement endcaps from Hope that were not previously available
Hey boomn, I get that. I guess I'm just wondering why there are pictures of the DT system on a post about a Hope system...

E

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
theycallmeE said:
Hey boomn, I get that. I guess I'm just wondering why there are pictures of the DT system on a post about a Hope system...

E
I'm not sure I understand your question then?:crazy:

Neither one is a complete system. Hope does not make an oversized skewer, only DT Swiss does. But Hope makes parts for their own hub so you can use the DT Swiss skewer. Neither one works without the other on a Hope hub

The Hope "system" that the OP mentioned is simply that Hope hubs were designed with easily replaceable end caps

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.