Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fart smeller
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Called Upper Bidwell Park, it's a happening scene, man. But I'm ahead of myself. I'll get there...

A couple weeks ago, OverStuffed, aka Kevin from Washington, DC, posted he was going to be in the Chico area and wanted to ride. I let him know I was going to be up there visiting a friend and we'd be riding Bidwell Park, a rather strenuous workout. I told him if he cared to join us, he was more than welcome. He did, in spite of my reputation.

So, Sunday morning we met up, shook hands, promising to keep it clean and no hits below the waist. For those not in the know, Upper Bidwell is an out 'n' back ride- out being mostly up, and back being mostly (uh- let me check, here) down. Oh, yeah... The trail follows a meandering, scenic Bidwell Creek, is very volcanic-ly rocky in most sections, and is hella fun for guys like me with a bit of juicy suspension forgiveness. Kevin was riding a *gasp* fully rigid bike on this somewhat tortuous trail, but he suffered bumps gladly. Hell, he's still young :p Good thing, too, cuz he took a couple of spills, drawing blood and a collective gasp from Nick and myself on one attempt for the Carnage Cam. He's a good sport- he's going to want to ride the Tahoe area in the next couple of days- if you can hook up with him, he'll buy the beer.

Anyhoo- here's some pics of Nick, Kevin and Upper Bidwell. None of me. You're welcome. Oh, and the best part? The libations at approximately 4,298,202 beer joints in the greater Chico area afterwards. Kudos, too, to Sports LTD, who took Kevin's rear wheel after the ride and promised to have missing spokes replaced in a couple of hours.

Going up.

1) Kevin, minutes into the ride, before the sun really began to bake us.

2) Nick, ridin' on up.

3) And Nick continues to ride up. Bidwell Creek is to the left, down in a canyon.

4) Kevin had just posed for the Carnage Cam. I asked him to put his front wheel near the edge of a big rock, so it would look like he was about to drop it. He lifted his front wheel, and went out a bit too far. Down he went. Here, he recuperates from the 'crash.'

5) Nick and buttes.

fp

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And it's all downhill from here...

Going down.

1) Nick zooming by. And someone has created some nice little jumps to enjoy on the way down. Thanks!

2) Nick on one of the heinous switchbacks. My Hogan training paid off for these.

3) Ugh. This is on beyatch of a climb on the way back down. Ow. And it's mostly in the sun, of course. :rolleyes:

4) This was a cool little dropoff you didn't see until the last second. Here, Nick handles it as though it were a pint glass full of porter. (huh?)

5) Kevin's owie. I had to beg him to grimace.

fp

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts