Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
No known cure
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you knew Axel. He passed away suddenly yesterday morning. He was almost eight. He crawled into bed with me and was gone in the morning. He was fine Friday and received a clean bill of health from the vet two months ago. I don't get it.

He was loved everywhere and was a celebrity in Oregon and Arizona, and here in the San Bernardino Mountains. He had more trail miles under his paws than most riders.

My heart is broke.

Attachments

·
No known cure
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, ain't life a trip. My neighbor calls me and wants help moving a new couch into the house. I walk over and see another neighbor's five year old in the street. I ask if she's OK and she tells me her mommy can't breath. I race in the house, call 911 and perform CPR on her until EMS shows up. They told me I saved the kids' mom. If Axel was still here, we'd be out riding right now and I wouldn't have been around to help her. This just happened.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,834 Posts
Well, ain't life a trip. My neighbor calls me and wants help moving a new couch into the house. I walk over and see another neighbor's five year old in the street. I ask if she's OK and she tells me her mommy can't breath. I race in the house, call 911 and perform CPR on her until EMS shows up. They told me I saved the kids' mom. If Axel was still here, we'd be out riding right now and I wouldn't have been around to help her. This just happened.
Holy ****. That's scary as hell, but amazing in a way too. I now have mixed feelings. I'm glad you were there to save a life, nice job!!

·
No known cure
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy ****. That's scary as hell, but amazing in a way too. I now have mixed feelings. I'm glad you were there to save a life, nice job!!
The mom was blue and gulping for air. I still don't know what happened. I'm just glad I was there to help.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Man, not a good weekend, sorry for your loss Vader.

I'm sure your best friend couldn't have had a better life.

Happy to hear you were someone's hero today.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
That sure stinks but as many have said before, "God sure does work in mysterious ways".
I would sure hate to loose my dog but if it meant that I was there to save someones life, that is a trade I will make any day. Bless you.

·
Cycologist
10,354 Posts
Wow, way to be in the right place at the right time and know what needed to be done.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Oh man, I am sorry for your loss. As a first time dog owner, who now understands how much "family" dogs are, you have my condolences.

That picture in the middle with Axel rolling around shows a happy dog that looks to have had a great life.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Yep dog owner most of my 57 years. Sorry for your loss. You and the pooch both hero's though for that timing and situation. Bittersweet story and yet a tribute.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Man, SO, SO sorry for your loss, my heart breaks for you. Nothing anyone can do or say will make it any easier now, but as the saying goes, time will help heal, maybe slowly, but it will - didn't think so when I lost Bud last year, but time has helped.

Fate can be cruel and seem so random, but I have a feeling dogs can see a lot, lot more than we can and will make the biggest sacrifices to help a human. Axle came to spend one last night with you and tell you goodbye, because he knew you needed to be home then and not out riding with him, so he made the biggest sacrifice to make sure that little girl still has her Mum.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
wow, that is so sad....but in a way, also good in that he did not suffer, or ail for a long period of time. I have owned 15 total dogs in my life - Siberian huskies and German Shepherds - and most of them went after a time of deteriorating/aging due to the onset of cancer in some form. I always wished they all could have gone quietly.

and with the rescue, it is true that things happen to give you reason to reflect. That was Axels' way of still being with you...possibly a little distraction

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Wow, what an amazing story.

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
Seems your dog gave his life so that you could save another's. Valiant and heroic on both your behalves. Sorry for your loss, dogs are truly connected directly to their families hearts and loss of one is like losing a part of that heart, but it seems he gave his heart to you so you could do what needs to be done. Thank you for your actions!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.