Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike Radar posted this yesterday: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/sram-sx-eagle-groupset/

I've only dabbled in Sram twice. In the 90's I bought a pair of grip shifts but ditched them within a season due to performance and reliability issues. As an early 1x adopter (all the way back when 9 speed was de rigueur) I tuned chain lines and set up chain guides that allowed for reasonable chain retention if not a wide range with Shimano kit. Last year I installed a Sram GX Eagle drivetrain on my fatbike and it's worked well. While not a smooth as Shimano shifting, it gets the job done reliability. Still, I anxiously await the wider availability and (more importantly) trickle-down of M9100 technology. I know that Shimano marches to the beat of its own drum, but it appears that Sram now has an Eagle for all trim levels, while Shimano struggles to get 12 speed XTR out the door.
I've told myself that I would wait to make my next trail bike purchase when 12 speed XT makes an OEM appearance. I'm not sure if I can wait. I know that the writing has been on the wall for a while now, but this news of cheap Eagle components further convinces me of Sram's dominance of the market. Shimano's late-to-the-party appearance to 12 speed and their scylence debacle have me thinking that the future MTB drivetrain is looking like it belongs to Sram.
Is there any coming back for Shimano, or am I just being impatient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
537 Posts
Bike Radar posted this yesterday: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/sram-sx-eagle-groupset/

I've only dabbled in Sram twice. In the 90's I bought a pair of grip shifts but ditched them within a season due to performance and reliability issues. As an early 1x adopter (all the way back when 9 speed was de rigueur) I tuned chain lines and set up chain guides that allowed for reasonable chain retention if not a wide range with Shimano kit. Last year I installed a Sram GX Eagle drivetrain on my fatbike and it's worked well. While not a smooth as Shimano shifting, it gets the job done reliability. Still, I anxiously await the wider availability and (more importantly) trickle-down of M9100 technology. I know that Shimano marches to the beat of its own drum, but it appears that Sram now has an Eagle for all trim levels, while Shimano struggles to get 12 speed XTR out the door.
I've told myself that I would wait to make my next trail bike purchase when 12 speed XT makes an OEM appearance. I'm not sure if I can wait. I know that the writing has been on the wall for a while now, but this news of cheap Eagle components further convinces me of Sram's dominance of the market. Shimano's late-to-the-party appearance to 12 speed and their scylence debacle have me thinking that the future MTB drivetrain is looking like it belongs to Sram.

Spent years on SRAM and now back on Shimano, never going back to SRAM. Hate their plastic drivetrains and flimsy cassettes and ergonomics. To each their own though, plenty of people love it, glad we have choices.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Most people buying entry level bikes don't care if they get 11 or 12 speed. Shimano 11 will still be cheaper, lighter and more reliable.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Most people buying entry level bikes don't care if they get 11 or 12 speed. Shimano 11 will still be cheaper, lighter and more reliable.
On the contrary, number of gears is a classic selling point when it comes to new cyclists. SRAM know their game.

My personal gripe with releases like the one in the article is that these items tend to replace their more expensive counterparts in OEM level, but the complete bike price stays the same. It happened with NX vs GX, it will happen with SX vs NX and the 35 fork vs Revelation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've told myself that I would wait to make my next trail bike purchase when 12 speed XT makes an OEM appearance... Shimano's late-to-the-party appearance to 12 speed and their scylence debacle have me thinking that the future MTB drivetrain is looking like it belongs to Sram.
I can't answer your question but I do empathise. I've been holding off buying a replacement for my do it all 3x10 29er for 3 years now, largely due to the fact that I wanted an OEM drivetrain which has similar range and durability to current. 420% SRAM 1x11 does not have sufficient range and I'm amazed that people are prepared to accept quick wearing soft alloy cogs on their $150-300 cassettes.

My 3x10 is finally wearing out so I will make a decision very soon rather than buying replacement parts.

I can only guess that Shimano utterly mis-read the market and thought 2 x 11 Di2 with small gear steps and a nice chain lines is what people wanted. Wrong.

That said, its been over half a decade (6 years) since SRAM debuted 10t XD driver and 1x11. More than long enough for Shimano to respond. the 11-46 cassette is a horrifying monstrosity. The XTR rollout has been an utter disaster - I believe that you still cannot buy a full groupset due to unavailability of the crankset (yes I know about the factory fire).

Their OEM partners must be furious. Trek has basically gone 100% OEM Sram in the last 2 years.

Shimano gives every indication that, even if they understand their customer or OEM partners needs, they are unable to deliver to their needs.

Its worrying that Shimano will probably hold of XT until they sort out the XTR issues. So, probably no 1x12 XT in shops or OEM until 2020?

·
Registered
755 Posts
They are releasing something on the 30th. Slogan being make your mark.

I would think a 12 speed XT would require the special driver body just like XTR and since it has fitment issues with many stock hub shells I doubt it's even going to make it to market.

Example being Roval control SL wheelset. If you had XD driver and try to put the microspline on you will have a fitment issue and guys were having the driver machine to fit

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts

I would think a 12 speed XT would require the special driver body just like XTR and since it has fitment issues with many stock hub shells I doubt it's even going to make it to market.

Example being Roval control SL wheelset. If you had XD driver and try to put the microspline on you will have a fitment issue and guys were having the driver machine to fit
This is my thought exactly. I am running DT 240s and 350s on my We Are One wheelsets. Not sure if I can simply pop out the XD and HG drivers and replace them with a microspine.

Can I?

If not, I am a hard pass on the 12 speed Shimano game.

Doesn't really bother me. With a trickle down release of 12 speed XT, whenever that happens, I will pick up some 11 speed XT stuff for my next bike at even lower prices.

I run both Shimano and SRAM by the way. Both are fine but after years and years of SRAM only (when it was fashionable to hate the other Big S), I am back in the Shimano camp.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow, thats very interesting and a bit encouraging :) . Will wait and see with a small bit of hope.

To be honest though, I'm quite pessimistic. Sadly, I'm expecting that even if they announce 1x12 XT, They probably wont have it available to OEM's for another 4 months, thus missing the big manufacturers 2020 model cycle. Its probably another 6-12 months until it becomes available after market.

I don't have any SRAM stuff but I do admire SRAMS record of announcing stuff (like Force 12 speed road) and have it available same day from local distributors ready for purchase.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If XT comes out and uses MicroSpline, all the key hub manufacturers would need to ensure compatibility pretty damn quick. Alternatively, Shimano could (or rather, I hope) do an XT 10-51T and an 11-51T cassette, the latter fitting on a traditional freehub body. If they don't E13 will....

Either way, the next XT is probably where I'm headed.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
This is my thought exactly. I am running DT 240s and 350s on my We Are One wheelsets. Not sure if I can simply pop out the XD and HG drivers and replace them with a microspine.

Can I?

If not, I am a hard pass on the 12 speed Shimano game.

Doesn't really bother me. With a trickle down release of 12 speed XT, whenever that happens, I will pick up some 11 speed XT stuff for my next bike at even lower prices.

I run both Shimano and SRAM by the way. Both are fine but after years and years of SRAM only (when it was fashionable to hate the other Big S), I am back in the Shimano camp.
Yes you can- the issue is with Specialized hubs cause you know- they have to do everything thier way. An actual DT hub will work fine.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The 12 speed XT and SLX lines were anounced yesterday.
Both will need micro spline hubs for the cassette....which right now is limited to Shimano, DT and I9. ( And Shimano is behind the 8 ball on their own standard)
And with SRAM's deal of almost giving groupos to the manufacturers ....I don't see SRAM's showroom floor dominance slipping

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
The 12 speed XT and SLX lines were anounced yesterday.
Both will need micro spline hubs for the cassette....which right now is limited to Shimano, DT and I9. ( And Shimano is behind the 8 ball on their own standard)
And with SRAM's deal of almost giving groupos to the manufacturers ....I don't see SRAM's showroom floor dominance slipping
How is Shimano behind the 8 ball?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The issue is actually with pretty much any brand that has came out with their own wheelset using "DT Internals". The shell is what varies, hence the fit issue with the Roval's. I had my LBS relace my Roval to a DT350 to get it to work.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,464 Posts
....I don't see SRAM's showroom floor dominance slipping
Based upon the excellent (truly) performance of all aspects of my XTR group, (as compared to eagle) I sure do see that dominance slipping.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The long delay ...and then cancelation of the Scylence XTR hub.
Followed by a delay in the replacement hub.
Hopefully they are able to get the XT and SLX hubs out with the rest of the group.....and companies like Novatech get budget Micro spline hubs for the SLX market
You forgot to mention the XTR Cranks.......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.