Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
NSB (North Shore Billet) also makes a similar piece that actual looks better. I think the NSB piece is 30$ but I'm not sure. Anyways, those look like a great part to avoid going through derailluer hangers like Cheeseburgers but they don't fit on all axles. I think you need to have a quick release axle to use it. I emailed NSB about this almost a year ago as I have a Hadley hub with a solid axle (10mm?). They said I'd need to buy a new QR axle for it. The NSB ones may be different than the one you've shown though. To check out the NSB stuff go to http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html and click on Hanger Banger. Oh, if you are going to swap axles it's a good idea to buy NSB's 'Go nuts' which are 10mm nuts that reduce to fit a 8mm bolt so that you don't have to carry a special tool to work with the rear axle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
focused1 said:
http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=TQ3667&searchtype=&itemsearch=&showSec=&filter=

Anyone use anything like this? Looks kinda cool. It would be pretty easy to fab one yourself it looks like. I go through a lot of hanger and derailleurs, something like this might be nice.
A friend of mine used those and it broke twice. The first time it broke while riding and the second time when it hit a rock. I think it is a great concept, but they seem pretty weak. But that is just my experience with them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I did a bit more research. The NSB one appears to be stronger than the Therapy one, it's 39.99$, there are 4 different models to fit SRAM, LX etc.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
I have one. They simply provide more protection from bending the hanger. I used mine on the SC Bullit, which is a non-replaceable hanger. I didn't have any problems with it, but it was a pain to take the rear wheel off.

-B

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
those things are awesome. on my last bike i ran the intergrated Specialized variation used on DEMO series. something ive allways liked about Specialized, there attention to small detail. im going to miss such things on the Sunday.

the Specialized variation is built into the rear axle and simply clicks in and out when you remove the rear wheel, great idea.

·
Registered
350 Posts
TrainingWheelz? said:
A friend of mine used those and it broke twice. The first time it broke while riding and the second time when it hit a rock. I think it is a great concept, but they seem pretty weak. But that is just my experience with them.
Hey TrainingWheels, Brian from Therapy here. Was your friend using ours? How did he break it? The JRA story doesn't make too much sense, it seems like there must have been something to break it. Also where did it break?

Just trying to get some feedback. We've sold quite a few of those without any reports (till now) of any breaking. If he would have contacted me I would've sent him one for free.

If he broke a second one, does that mean he bought two? from a local shop?

Any info would be appreciated, we're always trying to make things better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts