Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

If you could put pegs on the bike, where exactly would you place them to make the bike handle the best, as if you were riding chainless and had to rely on pumping or gravity, tailwind, etc.?

Just imagine that the pegs could be attached by adding a mounting point to the seat tube and utilized the current BB, and had a similar Q-factor as your normal pedals, so you can have them by the chainstays if you wanted.

I'm genuinely curious to know. Give it some thought. Do you think you'd be more comfortable with the pegs behind the BB, such as if you are often shifting your weight back, and want your legs in a more comfortable position (not so angled back)? Or perhaps pegs a little forward of the BB, to help weight the front more for grip in corners? Higher for clearance, or lower for more stability for carving turns?

On a normal trail bike, I think I'd probably see potential tuning by having them slightly behind and lower than the BB, so my body and legs aren't so jack-knifed when I try to ride at the limits of traction, and I figure there's not much clearance issue to worry about right there with the wheel so close.

Attachments

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say it depends on the precise bike design. On that Socialized bike that WAKI drew up, it seems a bit too far back, considering the front wheel is way out there.

On the Ripley it can be moved back no doubt, based on my prior riding experience on it (size M).

·
Ride what you like!
1,078 Posts
This is awesome, it looks like a build I've been thinking about. I want to make a full sized strider bike to mess around the neighborhood on when I'm dawdling around with my kids. You're also hitting me right in my "Socialized" bike lovin' heart!
I haven't put close to as much effort into this as you have with the renderings, but another thing to consider would be comfort. If this where you will be resting your feet when coasting, you need to think of the ergonamics. Too far back towards the chain stay might force your rider to sit on some very uncomfortabe parts as opposed to the "sit bones". I'd think in line with, or forward of the BB, but when I rode motorcycles, I preferred the cruiser position with feet forward of the seat to the "monkey humping a football" position of sport bikes. As a downside, having your feet too far forward of the seat makes it difficult to get off the seat. Maybe check out pictures of riders on motorcycles to see which peg positions look best for the style of riding you're thinking about.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's baaaaaaack.
Hi, have you heard of the greatness, our holy belief, of the Universal Athletic Position?

Can you point to the spot on the bike where you would want to stand, so the greatness can be utilized, say if you decided to re-enact the klunker race down Mt Tam? Mr. Ritchey is wanting to confirm.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.