Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend sent me this piece from Shimano that was a pretty fantastic read. Looks like the article was published a few weeks ago, but I don't see it here so...

It's an article that shares the story of some really great people working in the Truckee area, explains how the unsanctioned trails came to be, and mentions some of the work that's currently being done to build many more miles of new trail in the area.

Hats off to everyone involved with fighting the good fight. Diverging from the article a tiny bit there's been some great work done in the past year or so here in Truckee, including bathrooms being added to Jackass and Sawtooth, and there's plans to add bathrooms to the Big Chief lot, too. The Sawtooth area has a new climbing trail, and a new jump line, and there's an ADA compliant gravel path being added there for folks with mobility issues and/or families with young kids. I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting here so treat this as a totally incomplete list. Impressive! And then there's a whole ton of work that will need to be done to rebuild the trails that were impacted by the fires to the north and south. It's a good time to get involved if you can. These people work super duper hard, and some work straight through the smokey season, all for our benefit.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Thanks for the article. One of the things I really like about Truckee is that people tend to really like being outdoors and are good at tolerating and respecting each other’s uses.

·
mtb'er
4,277 Posts
As a BEYOND frustrated and burned out MTB trail advocate, this story further reinforces the fact that if the local land manager (or a single staff member) is cool with MTB's, sh!t can get done. Without such a champion on the inside, "no bikes" remains the mantra of still employed but clapped out land managers from the 90's who aren't interested in anything progressive other than collecting paychecks and pensions.

Thank goodness for Mr. Groom. Ditto for Paul Hart (Tahoe NF), Matt Brownlee (Tahoe NF), Garrett Villanueva (Lake Tahoe MBU... although I think he's been relocated), Jon Jue (Eldo NF... but soley moto), and Jet Lowe (retired TNF).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice article. Wish I had a place in Truckee.

Every region needs a John Groom, someone sensible, dedicated, experienced, and commented to serving the public (not just collect a pay check / pension).

“As a public service staff officer, my first job is to serve the public,” Groom explained. “And the best way I can do that is to be out in the woods as much as possible, understanding how the public interacts with the land, then coming up with solutions that meet the desires of the public within the limits of our agency.”

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
As a BEYOND frustrated and burned out MTB trail advocate, this story further reinforces the fact that if the local land manager (or a single staff member) is cool with MTB's, sh!t can get done. Without such a champion on the inside, "no bikes" remains the mantra of still employed but clapped out land managers from the 90's who aren't interested in anything progressive other than collecting paychecks and pensions.

Thank goodness for Mr. Groom. Ditto for Paul Hart (Tahoe NF), Matt Brownlee (Tahoe NF), Garrett Villanueva (Lake Tahoe MBU... although I think he's been relocated), Jon Jue (Eldo NF... but soley moto), and Jet Lowe (retired TNF).
I am sure it also helps when the community supports the efforts. It seems in the Bay Area we not only have a lot of people who simply don't want new access and are very vocal, but user groups that snipe at each other further undercutting new trails and access. It doesn't help when every trail discussion at an agency meeting involves the groups showing up and it becoming hiker v jogger v bike v e bike v horse, rather than we all want it and will act like adults and share.

Reactions: roughster

·
Paper or plastic?
10,746 Posts
That explains how Jackass became an official trail. Between Tahoe Donner, new spaces acquired by the TDLT and the USFS, trails have been popping up at a good clip in the last 10 years. Now, we need some rain and the smoke to clear.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,746 Posts
I am sure it also helps when the community supports the efforts. It seems in the Bay Area we not only have a lot of people who simply don't want new access and are very vocal, but user groups that snipe at each other further undercutting new trails and access. It doesn't help when every trail discussion at an agency meeting involves the groups showing up and it becoming hiker v jogger v bike v e bike v horse, rather than we all want it and will act like adults and share.
Population density has a lot to do with it. Can't compare 7M people sharing trails with 20,000 with access to endless miles of trails. That being said, I agree that the attitude seems more cooperative in Truckee.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Population density has a lot to do with it. Can't compare 7M people sharing trails with 20,000 with access to endless miles of trails. That being said, I agree that the attitude seems more cooperative in Truckee.
Exactly--can't copy/paste local politics. "Let's just do in the Bay Area what they do in Truckee" just won't cut it no matter how much we stomp and cry.

My moonshot attempt at changing things here in the South Bay would be to place measures on Santa Clara and San Mateo County ballots to amend MROSD's mission statement from:
To acquire and preserve a regional greenbelt of open space land in perpetuity, protect and restore the natural environment, and provide opportunities for ecologically sensitive public enjoyment and education.
to

To acquire and preserve a regional greenbelt of open space land in perpetuity, link our regional greenbelt with other greenbelts, and provide infinite amounts of sweet-ass singletrack that puts other communities' singletrack to shame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.