Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sultan passed the Downieville test... throughout the weekend I took it down the descent 2 times. Over 30 miles of very abusive dh singletrack.

One of those descents was part of the XC race. I placed 8th in Clydesdale aboard the Sultan.

That White Brothers 5.3" Fluid fork was the ticket. The Sultan climbed like a dream and descended even more dreamy.

FWIW the bike weighs 30.5lbs as shown.

Attachments

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Nice pix Padre.
I'm also digging the WB F135.

Will be riding in Vail and then with Mikesee next weekend and I'm looking forward to thrashing my Sultan a bit more.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clyde S Dale said:
Nicely done, Padre! :thumbsup:

I followed a few of those Path jerseys today with Tani, Mondo, and about a dozen others.
Cool! Following Tani down anything can be very risky...following him UP something usually involves hicking.:p

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
C'mon Holmes, where is your vintage Basso jersey? I still wear mine on road ride events. You and the wife better get out here soon to ride some Brianhead, before it starts snowing again.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
El Chingon said:
C'mon Holmes, where is your vintage Basso jersey? I still wear mine on road ride events. You and the wife better get out here soon to ride some Brianhead, before it starts snowing again.
Isn't it about 100degrees in the shade out there? p.s. looking forward to coming up...maybe around interbike?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Handling

How do you like the handling withthe 5.3 inch fork on it vs a 4 inch fork. Any noticable wheel flop?

Bob W.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
I second the ?...

Hey Padre, I have a XXL Sultan that should be at my door next week with a WB Fluid 135 as well. I will run Flow rims also with Nevegals. It looks like you have resolutions on there. Is that a photo illusion or is the tire clearance that tight on the fork. Thanks.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stew said:
Hey Padre, I have a XXL Sultan that should be at my door next week with a WB Fluid 135 as well. I will run Flow rims also with Nevegals. It looks like you have resolutions on there. Is that a photo illusion or is the tire clearance that tight on the fork. Thanks.
Tire clearance is not tight. I'm running a Rampage up there now, which is even larger than the Resolution and it clears fine. Could I do mud runs with it? Perhaps not, but then I wouldn't be riding.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Padre said:
Tire clearance is not tight. I'm running a Rampage up there now, which is even larger than the Resolution and it clears fine. Could I do mud runs with it? Perhaps not, but then I wouldn't be riding.
I'm running the same combo. Padre's correct - there is ample clearance.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Thanks...

I was assuming a fork with that much travel would have ample clearance for the largest 29er tires. Thanks for the pic...nice bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts