Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Survivalists have something called a "bug-out" vehicle--the basic idea is that when the government turns against you or disaster strikes or whatever it is that survivalists worry about happens, you have a bombproof 4x4 with shovels, food, extra gas, and all that good stuff. No matter how bad it gets, you'll still be able to grind through it all and make it to your compound deep in the Montana hills.

What would you build for a worst-case scenario bike? Something that would last for 20 years with zero maintenance and hard daily use. What if cost and weight were no objects, only durability and ruggedness.

What frame? What components? A singlespeed seems like a given.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
something with as standard as parts as possible and a really beefy steel frame. i'm not so much thinking of making the bike last forever, but being easy to repair when something does finally go wrong. parts that could be scavenged off other bikes would be a plus.

·
Ich bin ein Berliner.
14 Posts
markf said:
something with as standard as parts as possible and a really beefy steel frame. i'm not so much thinking of making the bike last forever, but being easy to repair when something does finally go wrong. parts that could be scavenged off other bikes would be a plus.
That's what I was thinking. Steel frame, Shimano goodies. It would suck to crack the frame on your primary mode of transportation and be eaten by zombies.

I'd probably make it something that's worth quite a bit, too. That way, if/when I have to trade it for ammo/food, I get a TON of ammo/food.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
The only choice: Nottingham built Raleigh 3 speed. The All Steel bike built to last for 100 years (with reasonable care.) I mean come-on, the ad text even mentions how useful it would be in a Fall-Out shelter!
Mine is a '69 with all original parts except for tires, tubes, cables, and saddle and gets weekly use. Apart from the original restoration job 6 years ago... I haven't done a single bit of maintainence on it at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
pisgahproductions said:
The only choice: Nottingham built Raleigh 3 speed. The All Steel bike built to last for 100 years (with reasonable care.) I mean come-on, the ad text even mentions how useful it would be in a Fall-Out shelter!
Mine is a '69 with all original parts except for tires, tubes, cables, and saddle and gets weekly use. Apart from the original restoration job 6 years ago... I haven't done a single bit of maintainence on it at all.
That saddlebag would be the perfect place to stash an IED!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The bikes of folks who tour worldwide, particulary in poverty stricken areas, are the perfect starting point for these bikes.

Perfect for the post-2012 world. Right?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Absolutely without a doubt it would be a Surly 1X1. Would consider a Karate Monkey , except the 26" tires would be easier to scavenge.

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
Absolutely without a doubt it would be a Surly 1X1. Would consider a Karate Monkey , except the 26" tires would be easier to scavenge.
But while you're pilfering abandoned towns, avoiding the radiation-stricken zombies, if all you could find were road wheels you could run those on the KM. You could still run 26" wheels on the KM even if it didn't fit quite right, but you couldn't run 700c wheels on the 1x1.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,273 Posts
Drevil said:
This bike, equipped with rocket launchers. ...

Dude better hope his rack holds that rocket securely or he's gonna find himself
with a rocket-powered suppository makin' him turn his head and cough...

--Sparty

·
Registered
618 Posts
sure you could, the rim brakes just wouldn't line up, but same goes for a KM with 26". There's plenty of clearance on a 1x1 for even a smaller 29" tire.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Nat said:
But while you're pilfering abandoned towns, avoiding the radiation-stricken zombies, if all you could find were road wheels you could run those on the KM. You could still run 26" wheels on the KM even if it didn't fit quite right, but you couldn't run 700c wheels on the 1x1.
Actually you can, the brakes posts just won't line up, but who needs to stop when you're heading for Barter Town.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
** Rolhoff 14-speed internal hub on an double-wall rim
** Specialized Hardrock frame w/ any steel cup, sealed bearing headset
** Old Shimano DX cranks w/ sealed bottom bracket
** Any solid 1/8 chain
** Cheap-o chick walled seatpost
** V-brakes and a steel fork

Anything else doesn't matter. Internal hub, overbuilt frame, as much sealed stuff as possible.... can't go wrong.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
my 2 cents...

prolly this one.no gears but other than that(which is a good thing),has proven versital,fun,reliable,fun,easily serviced,fun,faithful,fun,pretty,and did i mention,fun?:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
what about the bike that the guy made to tour Alaska with? I beleive it had a wide front fork so a rear wheel fit in it so if something happened to the rear hub you would swap wheels. Also the tubing was fitted with nozzles and filled with white gas for a camp stove.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts