Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
321 - 340 of 700 Posts

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I may need a couple hangers then...
^^^ Ha, yeah... It couldn't hurt. ;) That's what my pile-o-tires looked like before I reorganized my garage. Some of the tires in your picture are folding tires. For all of my folding tires (and tubes) I folded them down and put each in a large heavy ziplock bag. Put all of the bags in a bin and shoved the bin on top of the cabinets.

The hanger is for the tires I can't fold down (and wheelset).

I searched back through the thread and found the photo that inspired me to use this hanger. Thanks, samdemo!

My garage is still a mess, but I finally built my bike rack and tire storage.I think the bike rack will see some revisions or possible a whole redesign. Not 100% happy with it, but it will do in the mean time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's my shop

Well, sort of. I designed it and helped build it. The owner is a good friend and did what every client should do: shut up and do what I tell him. The cabinet layout in the shop area is based on my personal shop space but has more drawers.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's ProBike Tucson. They have 650b, 29er, and road stuff. The owner is a good friend and riding partner, he hired me to design the space. we had many good miles riding along discussing what the shop would be like. These shots were taken during opening weekend, so it's a bit messy.

My own basement shop has an L-shaped bench, with one side for general work and the short side of the L for ski tuning. Bike tools are in a rolling chest under the stairs. Like most of us, my shop is used for general household repairs/projects as well as bike repair. I used horse stall mats on the floor, super-dense 4'x6'x3/4" sheets of rubber. I can roll heavy carts on them as well as stand for hours without a sore back. Small parts are easy to see against the black rubber, assuming I keep it swept.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
My space. Requirement: still be able to get a car in there if need be, even though we normally don't. Narrow space, so going up the walls was/is the answer.

Bikes hanging about. Table-saw - not out of the box even, but meant for eventual use when a long stretch of bad weather or crap trail conditions or injury time.

Cabinets were there when we bought the place, didn't see any reason to not use them as they were. Bike and spare house junk. The beach cruiser is the preferred method of walking the dog. My commuter lives on the back deck.

House junk, vac, entry into the kitchen, blahblahblah.

Built this counter and table thing, and the upper shelf to extend storage, and actually have some form of work table. The leaf drops down, thew leg pops out of the way. Mix of house/bike/yard/random tools.

The pegboard is evolving based on what gets the most use. A small shed is an eventuality - that'll let me get the yard stuff out of here, freeing up more room for fun-hog stuff, and the table saw setup. Going to do more upper shelving along the walls and off the rafters, where I can, to free up other space as well.

·
keeptrollintrollintrollin
296 Posts
So my question... to anyone who may know a good answer... is which is the best way to hang a bike??? From its front wheel hanging or its back wheel hanging. I am thinking of mounting my bikes up on the wall to get them out of the way but I am not sure if thats a good idea or not. I feel like I was once told to not hang them by the wheels (something to do with damaging the fork....) but I am not sure and I see a lot of you guys doing it.

So whats your opinion? Back wheel hang or front wheel hang?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like to hang mtb from the front wheel so that the bath oil will lube the top of the fork, and if it starts leaking I know that the wipers need to be changed. Then The road bikes are hung from the rear wheel to make room for the more important mtbs.

321 - 340 of 700 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.