Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 700 Posts

·
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?

·
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....looks clean to me....

Good looking shops

....keep it going.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
here is my shop in my garage. I don't have a lot of space until the snowblower leaves in spring.

also have this pic with out my pride and joy Gary fisher Wahoo disc. I just tinker with that red dimondback sorrento in my spare time. I love having that boombox hooked up to some old computer speakers.

Attachments

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
VTSession said:
I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?
Hell that looks so much like my first home shop in my apartment. In the basement, so damp, low ceiling, no light but I wrenched and learned to build wheels there. I'm glad with my new shop now. Can post pics later...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can see some of mine behind the bike. I also have a Craftsman toolbox and a steel cabinet on another wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
My Shop/Garage

Had two garages prior in two other houses. This one I planned to build based on needs/wants and previous garages. Took a lot of time planning, drawing, thinking and asking others. Had a contractor build the "shell", a friend and I wired it, my wife and I insulated all of it; (garage door is insulated too) and my friend and I paneled it. There are 13 outlets, three airlines, a drill press, two wheel grinder, air tools, bike tools, workbenches, a sink with a small hot water heater to wash up in, etc. We installed an evaprative cooler for the summer and my two little space heaters do keep the garage warm in winter. I had worked very hard to save the $$ for it because it was to be my LAST garage. I'm not moving ever again. :madman:
I had carpet on the floor to keep it warm in summer and easy on the feet and when I need to crawl under a car. Both our cars fit inside with room to work on my bikes or fix any other item. We have a 20 X 40 shed where the "extras" are stored, including a Safety-Kleen parts washer i got at a garage sale years ago.
Due to age and body conditions I race a bit less and welcome anyone willing to learn to work on their bikes so they learn how to do it. It's my small way to "give back " to the sport.:D
My wife said she didn't care what i put up on the walls so I have all the "ME" walls aI want! Old motorcycle racing trophies, mountain-biking:) race posters, odds and ends, old pictures, etc etc, LOVE IT!!

Attachments

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
IRONMAN1518 said:
Had two garages prior in two other houses. This one I planned to build based on needs/wants and previous garages. Took a lot of time planning, drawing, thinking and asking others. Had a contractor build the "shell", a friend and I wired it, my wife and I insulated all of it; (garage door is insulated too) and my friend and I paneled it. There are 13 outlets, three airlines, a drill press, two wheel grinder, air tools, bike tools, workbenches, a sink with a small hot water heater to wash up in, etc. We installed an evaprative cooler for the summer and my two little space heaters do keep the garage warm in winter. I had worked very hard to save the $$ for it because it was to be my LAST garage. I'm not moving ever again. :madman:
I had carpet on the floor to keep it warm in summer and easy on the feet and when I need to crawl under a car. Both our cars fit inside with room to work on my bikes or fix any other item. We have a 20 X 40 shed where the "extras" are stored, including a Safety-Kleen parts washer i got at a garage sale years ago.
Due to age and body conditions I race a bit less and welcome anyone willing to learn to work on their bikes so they learn how to do it. It's my small way to "give back " to the sport.:D
My wife said she didn't care what i put up on the walls so I have all the "ME" walls aI want! Old motorcycle racing trophies, mountain-biking:) race posters, odds and ends, old pictures, etc etc, LOVE IT!!
Clean!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks Pissed, though my wife disagrees but it is MY garage so it don't matter!!

·
turtles make me hot
11,529 Posts
VTSession, you're gonna go blind down there with that single light bulb. You can get 4 foot hanging florescents at the Depot cheap. I put four in my basement and painted the floor and walls light grey, it has all the light you could ever want.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks 2 WD, nope I've just used their tools for over 50 years, they worked for me when I was an electrician in a steel mill, and when I raced motorcycles. I did have a side business selling motorcycle accessories and doing engine work, porting and polishing heads and cylinders, and did all my own car work. I will say the guys at Sears loved to see me come in!!! They gave me the big sign.
When I married my wife she didn't have a garage just a 20 X 40 shed whis was my "shop' for several years. Then 3 years ago we had the shell built and now the garage. I worked very hard to build it just "right".
PS I did save a LOT of $$$$ when I quit drinking!! LOL LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
mechBgon..... I have to compliment you on the custom handwheels on your truing stand.
Excellent Idea!! That work area is perfect. I love how everything is laid out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
IRONMAN1518 said:
Thanks 2 WD, nope I've just used their tools for over 50 years, they worked for me when I was an electrician in a steel mill, and when I raced motorcycles. I did have a side business selling motorcycle accessories and doing engine work, porting and polishing heads and cylinders, and did all my own car work. I will say the guys at Sears loved to see me come in!!! They gave me the big sign.
When I married my wife she didn't have a garage just a 20 X 40 shed whis was my "shop' for several years. Then 3 years ago we had the shell built and now the garage. I worked very hard to build it just "right".
PS I did save a LOT of $$$$ when I quit drinking!! LOL LOL
I used to repair, rebuild, and assemble new bikes for Sears. I ran their bike shop for 8 years and at one point had 4 other techs under me...ya, that's how busy we got there. Their tools are decent and the warranty is great.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would post pictures but that would require me to clean my work bench to take a picture. Maybe one day.

MecBgon, what is that white surface on your bench? I like that. Looks easy to wipe of any spilled oil.

·
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NYrr496 said:
VTSession, you're gonna go blind down there with that single light bulb. You can get 4 foot hanging florescents at the Depot cheap. I put four in my basement and painted the floor and walls light grey, it has all the light you could ever want.
Yeah the light is awful. I can only work down there during the day. I plan on getting some bright lamps at the Depot for sure. I usually need a head lamp too for when I drop bolts and what not.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Mount Dora Cycles said:
I would post pictures but that would require me to clean my work bench to take a picture. Maybe one day.

MecBgon, what is that white surface on your bench? I like that. Looks easy to wipe of any spilled oil.
I don't know the brand, but it's Formica-type laminate glued to thick plywood. Easy to clean, easy to find small screws and springs and stuff on the white background :)

mechBgon..... I have to compliment you on the custom handwheels on your truing stand. Excellent Idea!! That work area is perfect. I love how everything is laid out.
Thanks :) It would be even better if I weren't crammed under a stairway, but I've done the best I could.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Long Live Basement Shops!

My little dungeon:

Work space:

Bikes hanging:

More:

More bikes:

Work Bench / Parts Storage:

Wash Area:

I spend WAY too much time down there...