Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...so I just weighed my bike and almost vomited at the results. 37lbs of hell.

I'm riding a 2006 Iron Horse MKIII (5 inch travel bike). I started going down the list of what the hell could weigh that much, and figured out it has to be my front fork. Here she goes.

Frame: 2006 IH MKIII sport 17inch
Rear Shock: 2004 vanilla coil RC (not light but not trading this bad boy out...it feels so nice)
Wheelset: Forto Loco rear (heavy I know but it works), Sun single front with generic thru-axle hub
Fork: 2004 Marzocchi Z150 FR
X9 rear, X7 shifters
XT hydro brakes.

All else stock.

I cannot find the exact weight of this fork, but it has to be near the 8lbs mark. I love it, it is bomb proof and feels great....however I am getting ready to trade it in for something a little lighter. The RS Pike 454 coil is looking awfully sweet.

Basically I am asking if losing the 2-3 lbs from my front shock is a good route to go. Would I even notice a 3lb difference if my bike still will weigh in around 34-35lbs? I am no weight weenie by any means, but doesn't that weight seem a little excessive?

Justify my possible purchase....or help me save some money! Could $450 be put anywhere else in the bike to help lose weight yet keep er strong? What would you do?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great site rkj!

Not sure what I hope to achieve really. I am already one of the faster folks in my riding group, but on a few night rides with others with sub 30lb bikes I could definitely feel the extra weight. I would like to get into beginners racing, but yet again what does 3lbs of weight loss do when your still well over 30lbs?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notorious-J said:
I guess they're called Iron Horse for a reason, eh? :)
Hahah....I don't think it is the frame that is the problem (especially the new models with their weight loss), it is that everything I broke on the frame has been replaced with something that is huge and beefy, leading to millions of pounds adding up. I love the bike.

I wish I were just a bit overweight, so I could just lose the 3lbs off my belly....wait no i dont.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the loco rear is about 1300 grams, you could shave 300 off the rear with a higher quality wheel. are you running really heavy tires? the z1 is a boat anchor. good or not, thats so excessively heavy.

you should be able to get that thing to 31-32ish lbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since you are already a faster person in your group it sounds like you should be adding weight, not reducing it, this will increase your fitness while letting you still ride with your group. Then when you are ready to race, get a whole new 30# setup and you will be on top of the podium. I looked at using lighter components as well, but I concluded there is no point in making a 38# monster into a crappy weak 30# bike, it isn't the replacement of a few things that is going to make the difference, but many things, you are probably better off just buying a new bike specifically designed for what you want to do with it. Racing does not equal reliable. A good race bike isn't going to be a good weekend trail bike.

Look at reducing dynamic weight first (anything in the drive train), wheels, tires, tubes, gears, chain, pedals, sprockets, discs, a reduction in weight there will be much more noticable than replacing static weight (frame, fork, seat, handbar).

·
Registered
764 Posts
My 6-inch bike is at about 32 or so. Check the weight of your Wheels, Cranks and Fork. There are several good strong options for saving weight in those 3 categories. $$$

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
y0bailey said:
Alright...so I just weighed my bike and almost vomited at the results. 37lbs of hell.
Wow mate, you've got a real anchor there :D
I have a Stinky that weighs the same with DH tires on.
Rasterman has a point but a 5" trail bike has no business weighing that much.
You should look at possibilities of losing weight in the wheels/tires first, but the fork is one of the obvious suspects here.You can lose 2 lbs by swapping it with a Pike which is a substantial chunk of weight.You probably won't feel the difference on shorter rides with moderate climbs, but it will come into play when the going gets steep and you ride for a long time.

Marko

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I am so confused.

So you guys think I should keep the boat anchor and go for the wheelset weight reduction?

All decent wheelsets are about what I'm looking to pay for the fork, and I just feel better spending it on something with moving parts and also 3lbs weight loss.

hmm what to do!

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have 2 bikes......one weighs 26....6 front 5.5. rear. a dream riding XC, even fairly aggressive XC. the other is 33#'s right now. 6 front, 6.5 rear w/2.5 DH tires, beefy rims. great shuttle bike, but the difference while climbing is HUGE. i am actually riding the "big boy" while training and the "sprite" when racing. pretty amazing the difference in effort. i am going to set the longer travel up with a much lighter wheelset and see how much diff i feel. 37 is WAY heavy if you are doing some XC riding. i'm not into the 3 inch racer boy bikes....have a buddy that has one and it is only .5#'s lighter than my 6/5.5. i crush him on any decent, but can still hang easily on the climb. he was pissed when he found out how close we were on wt. not to mention i would probably be below his bikes wt if i was running the skinny arse tires he was. i'm 26#'s running 2.3's. nowadays there are tons of choices in 5, 5+ inch travel bikes that are WELL below 28#'s...10#'s is a LOT. look around...IMHO.

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
Build up a wheelset that you can take to another bike - like some Hope pro 2's on dt swiss 5.1 rims, or go gonzo with Hadley or King hubs. The Stan's Flow rims look good, too. I can recommend the Pike dual air u-turn - I am pushing 205 with gear and it's been a great fork for over a year - I like it alot better than my '06 Marz all mountain 1, and I am partial to coil - am running coil in the rear right now on my 5" bike. Just food for thought.:thumbsup:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
rkj__ said:
btw, a 2003 z1fr150 weighs about 3300g. I'm not sure if it changed much in '04
I own an 04 Z150 and it's 6.5 lbs. The big change between 03 and 04 is that they switched to an aluminum steerer tube. That knocked off a lot of weight.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.Danno. said:
I own an 04 Z150 and it's 6.5 lbs. The big change between 03 and 04 is that they switched to an aluminum steerer tube. That knocked off a lot of weight.
I know for sure I have the steel beast version and mine is an 04. They did make an SL version I believe, which you may have.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
y0bailey said:
I know for sure I have the steel beast version and mine is an 04. They did make an SL version I believe, which you may have.
Mine is an O4 Z150 Freeride dual spring. The stanchions are steel the steerer is aluminum. The 03 had both steel stanchions and steerer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
.Danno. said:
Mine is an O4 Z150 Freeride dual spring. The stanchions are steel the steerer is aluminum. The 03 had both steel stanchions and steerer.
According to the marz website there isn't even an 03 z150. looking more closely at the weight weenies site both the 2003 (if it exists) and the 2004 are the same weight (3300g). I trust the weight weenies website on the 7.2 lbs. I could take mine off and weigh it, but I'm lazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.