Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post from AM forum but want IH owner ideas.

Alright...so I just weighed my bike and almost vomited at the results. 37lbs of hell.

I'm riding a 2006 Iron Horse MKIII (5 inch travel bike). I started going down the list of what the hell could weigh that much, and figured out it has to be my front fork. Here she goes.

Frame: 2006 IH MKIII sport 17inch
Rear Shock: 2004 vanilla coil RC (not light but not trading this bad boy out...it feels so nice)
Wheelset: Forto Loco rear (heavy I know but it works), Sun single front with generic thru-axle hub
Fork: 2004 Marzocchi Z150 FR
X9 rear, X7 shifters
XT hydro brakes.

All else stock.

I cannot find the exact weight of this fork, but it has to be near the 8lbs mark. I love it, it is bomb proof and feels great....however I am getting ready to trade it in for something a little lighter. The RS Pike 454 coil is looking awfully sweet.

Basically I am asking if losing the 2-3 lbs from my front shock is a good route to go. Would I even notice a 3lb difference if my bike still will weigh in around 34-35lbs? I am no weight weenie by any means, but doesn't that weight seem a little excessive?

Justify my possible purchase....or help me save some money! Could $450 be put anywhere else in the bike to help lose weight yet keep er strong? What would you do?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
y0bailey said:
Post from AM forum but want IH owner ideas.

Alright...so I just weighed my bike and almost vomited at the results. 37lbs of hell.

I'm riding a 2006 Iron Horse MKIII (5 inch travel bike). I started going down the list of what the hell could weigh that much, and figured out it has to be my front fork. Here she goes.

Rear Shock: 2004 vanilla coil RC (not light but not trading this bad boy out...it feels so nice)
Wheelset: Forto Loco rear (heavy I know but it works), Sun single front with generic thru-axle hub
X9 rear, X7 shifters
XT hydro brakes.

All else stock.

I cannot find the exact weight of this fork, but it has to be near the 8lbs mark. I love it, it is bomb proof and feels great....however I am getting ready to trade it in for something a little lighter. The RS Pike 454 coil is looking awfully sweet.

Basically I am asking if losing the 2-3 lbs from my front shock is a good route to go. Would I even notice a 3lb difference if my bike still will weigh in around 34-35lbs? I am no weight weenie by any means, but doesn't that weight seem a little excessive?

Justify my possible purchase....or help me save some money! Could $450 be put anywhere else in the bike to help lose weight yet keep er strong? What would you do?
Yes the Z150 is a brick. The 454 coil is a good idea but you might look at a Manitou Nixon Elite 145. It's even lighter than the Pike and gets great reviews and is a coil fork.
You could get a Ti spring for the shock on Ebay for around $100 as well.

Look at a lighter wheelset as well.
And I would say 3lbs is noticeable. Tires are another place to lose weight and improve ride but I do not know what you are using!

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i got a ti spring for $42. you just have to look around. my mkiii is around 31#, but that's with a <4# fork

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
losing weight anywhere will help. wheelset and fork should get it down to a good weight

·
Registered
66 Posts
y0bailey said:

X9 rear, X7 shifters
XT hydro brakes.

All else stock.

Well, you just rationalised a heavy wheel set and rear shock. Why are you picking on the fork exactly? :rolleyes: :D

You almost vomited after you weighed the bike, but do you almost vomit after a big hill climb? If not, why are you worrying? You said you love the feel of the bike, I'd hazard a guess the fork plays a big part in that. Personally I wouldn't risk spoiling the handling for the sake of shaving a couple of pounds, unless I was certain the replacement fork would match or better the performance of the existing one. 35lbs or 37lbs - it's still a heavy bike.

FWIW, a basic weight weenie tip - the most noticeable weight saving is made in rotating mass. Hence if you save a couple of pounds with a lighter wheel set (more specifically lighter rims), that will make a more noticeable difference than the same amount of static weight saved by choosing a lighter fork.

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
I fully agree with Handy-Andy. If you want to throw your money at something make it the wheels and tires. Dont mess with the handling unless you need to. :thumbsup:

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I'm running a single ring, with X9 shifter/derailer, Pike 454 Air U-turn, Manitou Radium, and super heavy wheels... and I think my bike is still only like 31 or 32 pounds.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
There are those that say they can and those that say they can't. Both are right!

I have a 37lb 6point8 with a 66RC2X and I pedal it everywhere in the Rocky Mountains of CO. I can't quite understand when some riders balk at anything over 30lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.