21 - 40 of 462 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Reactions: s-master

·
Registered
491 Posts
We're seeing the same thing around here. And people posting videos of them and their kids jumping and riding without helmets on local MTB group FB pages. When people call them out they either make excuses or get angry and tell people to mind their own business.

As a parent of a young kid, I'm just grateful that it's "cool" to wear helmets in MTB culture. He also rides freestyle BMX, and that culture's norm seems to be NO helmets (which is so crazy with some of the **** they do). Luckily, he's sided with MTB culture over BMX culture on this issue.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I recommend helmets to people at our pumptrack regularly, but have no interest in joining the helmet police. Rarely see people out on actual trails without them though, it's mainly a BMX and Fred thing. The Freds are the most likely to actually need one IME.

·
jcd's best friend
2,964 Posts
Lately my MTB friends have been posting videos of their kids shredding on their new bikes. They promote helmet usage so all is not lost for our future MTB generations. What's funny is that my buddy is a XC racer and his 2 kids are gravity riders. Both are under 10 and they fly down these jump lines like it's no big deal. I have no idea how he is going to raise them now.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I recommend helmets to people at our pumptrack regularly, but have no interest in joining the helmet police. Rarely see people out on actual trails without them though, it's mainly a BMX and Fred thing. The Freds are the most likely to actually need one IME.
I wonder how effect helmets actually are? Or are they like knee pads, only really make a difference in a minor fall.

·
jcd's best friend
2,964 Posts
I wonder how effect helmets actually are? Or are they like knee pads, only really make a difference in a minor fall.
I think they are effective. Just watch Pink Bike Friday Fails on YouTube :D

·
Cycologist
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I slammed into a ditch last November hard enough to break 6 bones. My head also struck hard enough to require a few stitches; my helmet was dented, I think it hit a few small rocks and that impact telescoped through the helmet to my head, splitting the skin. But it was only a few stitches; hate to think what it would have been like with no helmet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
They're extremely effective. My kid has cracked 3 helmets in the last couple of years and hasn't had any major head trauma despite that. I hate to think what would have happened if he didn't have one on.

I'm almost to the point of wearing a full face all the time and requiring him to as well as my main worry, now, is him face planting on a rock or tree.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I've seen helmets save lives.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm able to type this sentence because I always wear a helmet. If I didn't, then I'd likely be either brain-damaged or dead by now.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I'm almost to the point of wearing a full face all the time and requiring him to as well as my main worry, now, is him face planting on a rock or tree.
I don't wear a full face full time but probably could with the Stage and Proframe but someone could easily make the same argument about full faces vs the standard helmets we all wear. We'd all protest and say "we don't plan on hitting our face/jaw/cheek" or "it's not needed on a trail like this" but the amount of people that don't wear full faces in bike parks and on trails like Mount Wilson in LA always amazes me.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
I'm able to type this sentence because I always wear a helmet. If I didn't, then I'd likely be either brain-damaged or dead by now.
I can't remember the last time I hit my head (well, I did maybe 6 years ago at night in the winter due to not seeing a branch), but two weeks ago I hit the ground pretty hard, landing on my head and right side. I typically ride very hard and don't crash very often. I launched over a root mess, but somehow on the knowingly uneven landing area I got bounced left, which was towards some objects I didn't want to hit at that speed, then I ended up getting bounced right and hard against the trail. It shook me up pretty hard with some significant bruising around my hips, and of course my head hit. No LOC or TBI indications, but that was one of those rare hits where I realized I was done riding for the day (about 30 min in).

These kinds of things are rare, but damn I'm pretty sure I would have had some significant damage without a helmet on this one (two weeks ago).

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
We didn't wear helmets when we started riding mt bikes in 92ish. It wasn't something we even considered. I also didn't carry tools or an extra tube and I only had one water bottle that had to last the whole ride. We all have a learning curve, some take longer than others to learn.

21 - 40 of 462 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.