Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 462 Posts

·
Cycologist
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are these people thinking: "Look at those obviously experienced cyclist wearing helmets, whatda they know? I haven't done this in decades and I'm not sure what I'm doing; obviously I don't need any safety gear, we never wore it as kids. I'm not planning to crash!"

·
Snow Dog
3,732 Posts
man...today, it could have also been "the wave of noobs riding road bikes on the trails...with out helmets"

there was a high percentage chance of tacos on the trail today!!

·
Kick Start My Heart
580 Posts
'I found a 'NEXT' mtb in the garage, I think I'll just hit the trails...and smoke'

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
8,284 Posts
man...today, it could have also been "the wave of noobs riding road bikes on the trails...with out helmets"

there was a high percentage chance of tacos on the trail today!!
Wut?? Tacos?? We get tacos on the trail?
Screw helmets! you had me at tacos...

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,886 Posts
The whole kit is where it’s at.

697E3159-8B32-4D61-B7AB-78D1D3B18EB0.png

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was with a group a couple seasons ago and a guy rolled up with no helmet. An older guy in my group told him he should put a lid on, to which the guy replied that they "looked goofy"...

Sounded to me like his brain wasn't worth saving anyways.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was with a group a couple seasons ago and a guy rolled up with no helmet. An older guy in my group told him he should put a lid on, to which the guy replied that they "looked goofy"...

Sounded to me like his brain wasn't worth saving anyways.
Isn't this a case of, ”the problem will solve itself, given a little more time?” Darwin has been proven correct, time and time again.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Isn't this a case of, ”the problem will solve itself, given a little more time?” Darwin has been proven correct, time and time again.
Except the cost for emergency services, rescue services, life insurance, lawsuits against the landowner for "trail features" and other "unsafe conditions", hospital bills that get passed on to society, lack of ability to support the family, and so on...

If the person did it on their own private island, then sure, it wouldn't affect anyone.

If they were at least taking some responsibility for their actions, they'd be carrying around a DNR card and let everyone in their group know about it, as well as make sure it's easily retrievable. Set up trust funds for their kids, you know, actually take responsibility for the decision, rather than passing the crap on to everyone else that has to deal with it when they die or go comatose.

No respect for these people that claim to be making "their own decisions" that are just passing the crap on to those of us in society that are the ones that have to deal with the fallout.

Reactions: sooshee

·
Formerly of Kent
12,219 Posts
Except the cost for emergency services, rescue services, life insurance, lawsuits against the landowner for "trail features" and other "unsafe conditions", hospital bills that get passed on to society, lack of ability to support the family, and so on...

If the person did it on their own private island, then sure, it wouldn't affect anyone.

If they were at least taking some responsibility for their actions, they'd be carrying around a DNR card and let everyone in their group know about it, as well as make sure it's easily retrievable. Set up trust funds for their kids, you know, actually take responsibility for the decision, rather than passing the crap on to everyone else that has to deal with it when they die or go comatose.

No respect for these people that claim to be making "their own decisions" that are just passing the crap on to those of us in society that are the ones that have to deal with the fallout.
This.

And, in addition to the things he mentioned, the trail that that person was riding will probably be shut down for a while as an investigation is conducted. Instead of that person taking 15 seconds to clear that 100m of singletrack, it will be roped off for a couple of days while the landowner agency takes a gander at the lay of the trail. Then, it will invariably be scrubbed of any and all fun bits.

So, "personal freedom" is a misnomer. Sorry, but like some health conditions brought on by one's decisions (smoking, obesity in some cases, etc), we all pay for that decision or series of decisions.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,443 Posts
I had a friend join our riding group a few years ago, he was new to the sport. He showed up without a helmet and I told him he could not ride with us unless he borrowed one of my older spares. He was protesting but I stood my ground.

He went OTB and took a header, literally stood up and had a chunk of earth n grass stuck on the helmet.

He promptly bought his own helmet before the next ride.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,284 Posts
What are these people thinking: "Look at those obviously experienced cyclist wearing helmets, whatda they know? I haven't done this in decades and I'm not sure what I'm doing; obviously I don't need any safety gear, we never wore it as kids. I'm not planning to crash!"
On Memorial Day, a gorup of us hit up a local trail system that was moderately busy. Frankly, I saw not one dome without a lid on it. It was nice to see.
I cannot say it was a freeride or DH trail system so no "michelin man" style out there...

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
591 Posts
I had a friend join our riding group a few years ago, he was new to the sport. He showed up without a helmet and I told him he could not ride with us unless he borrowed one of my older spares. He was protesting but I stood my ground.

He went OTB and took a header, literally stood up and had a chunk of earth n grass stuck on the helmet.

He promptly bought his own helmet before the next ride.
I've had similar experiences.

Every once in a while, someone at work will express interest in getting into mountainbiking. I'll always try to answer any questions they might have, going so far as to accompany them on a trip to the LBS.
I tell them up front, they are absolutely more than welcome to ride with us - but they must wear a helmet.
I'm not dealing with a fellow rider's TBI/AMS miles in the woods, if it can be prevented.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Not planning on crashing. I just like to tell people I've only ever NEEDED a helmet one time while I was riding. I was on an old logging road/trail that was covered in baby heads and stopped for a drink. I put my foot down, and one of the baby heads rolled under it, and I lost my balance and fell over backwards and smacked my head on a rock. Fortunately, it was wrapped in a helmet. The helmet shattered. I'm still here.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was that "guy" once, an OTB header into a tree quickly knocked some sense into me, won't ride without one now!
Luckily I suffered no ill effects, wait......what were we talking about?

·
Registered
651 Posts
This saturday leaving my ride I was driving from State Forest down through a State Park. It is always a peaceful road but on normal weekends is busy. During the "lockdown" it has been insane on weekends.

A father with his approx 12 year old son passed me coming up the mountain road riding. Neither one of them had a helmet on.

The incredible thing is that it's a tough climb and they were doing ok, so I really don't think they were new to the sport. I almost stopped but I'm not a confrontational person. I think an adult who chooses not to wear one is an idiot...but a busy road, and you don't put one on your kid??

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
I've had similar experiences.

Every once in a while, someone at work will express interest in getting into mountainbiking. I'll always try to answer any questions they might have, going so far as to accompany them on a trip to the LBS.
I tell them up front, they are absolutely more than welcome to ride with us - but they must wear a helmet.
I'm not dealing with a fellow rider's TBI/AMS miles in the woods, if it can be prevented.
I do the same. If you want to ride with my group, you wear a helmet or you don't ride with us.

Fortunately, the trails in my area are bony enough that most people understand the importance of a helmet. It's the casual riders on gravel roads that often think they don't need them. And maybe they don't, most of the time. But all of my worst crashes have been in situations that have appeared to be the lowest risk. That seems to be a universal truth for a lot of people I know who have ridden bikes for years, so I think complacency is a significant contributor.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
My backyard is on a very popular trail, I see probably 500 people a day ride past. A couple of weeks ago there were a few new riders without helmets riding by. But I am not seeing that any more, still lots of new riders but they are all wearing helmets now.

Culture is powerful. If you live in a place where everyone wears helmets, people entering the sport will adapt the same practice pretty quickly.

·
jcd's best friend
2,964 Posts
I see no-helmet riders quite regularly as well. I try to get my rides done earlier in the morning so I don't have to deal with the waves of new riders and families coming to the trailhead. It crowds up fast. Yesterday, I saw another wave of Trek Marlins with kickstands and people not wearing a helmet. I watch a lot of these people hit jump lines at high speed with no helmet. It does get old seeing this stuff on a regular basis.

I live a half mile away from the trailhead and this particular bike park is family friendly. Once I get my new bike rack, I'm heading elsewhere on the weekends.

Hopefully when people start going back to work, things will calm down. We will probably see a spike in used bike sales very soon.

1 - 20 of 462 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.