Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sedona was dead yesterday, like ghost town dead. I went up with "Broken Elbows" Aaron yesterday and introduced him to ye olde Big Loop. I sort of expected a hellish drive and/or hellish trail traffic and/or a hellish wait at Black Canyon. But we had the place to ourselves, and it was spooky.

I loved having Sedona to myself, but it was weird. I think I saw one couple pedaling up the pathway as we were making our escape. Sure hope the tourist biz up there doesn't get hammered too hard.

p.

·
I'm "bad" different
138 Posts
I came back into town around 7:30 from Prescott last night and there was no backup on I-17! Normally I bail at Happy Valley because the traffic is so bad, but it didn't even slow down. The best part is I *only* paid $3.83/gal for gas in Prescott valley (I wish I wasn't excited about that).

·
Don't believe the Hype...
830 Posts
This will really hurt all the nice little day trip cities around all the major metro areas.

A few years ago when a day trip would cost you $20 in gas, you didn't even think about it you just went. Now when it's $60 I think a lot harder...

I bet the lake traffic is way down also. All the monster truck guys with their 25' boats have to be hating dropping $200 in gas for a day on the lake...I wonder if sail boats will make a comeback...

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Paul B said:
Sedona was dead yesterday, like ghost town dead. .... Sure hope the tourist biz up there doesn't get hammered too hard.

p.
Uh...it already is. Wonder if the increase in eurotourists (weak dollar etc) will make up for the drop in daytrippers, easterners, midwesterners, ....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Paul B said:
Sedona was dead yesterday, like ghost town dead. I went up with "Broken Elbows" Aaron yesterday and introduced him to ye olde Big Loop. I sort of expected a hellish drive and/or hellish trail traffic and/or a hellish wait at Black Canyon. But we had the place to ourselves, and it was spooky.

I loved having Sedona to myself, but it was weird. I think I saw one couple pedaling up the pathway as we were making our escape. Sure hope the tourist biz up there doesn't get hammered too hard.

p.
Thats what it was like in the late 70's and early 80's..... NOBODY!!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
luckybastard said:
I bet the lake traffic is way down also. All the monster truck guys with their 25' boats have to be hating dropping $200 in gas for a day on the lake...I wonder if sail boats will make a comeback...
Lakes are more crowded than ever the last few weeks. It hasn't seemed to effect the boating tax bracket yet...wish it would so I could get some descent water to ride on. Also haven't seen a sailboat locally yet.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Paul B said:
Sedona was dead yesterday, like ghost town dead. Sure hope the tourist biz up there doesn't get hammered too hard.p.
Paul:

Did you listen to our future Presidents speech today it was brilliant? He has the solution to high energy prices he just needs to get elected to solve the problem. It's called major BS. I can't wait to get my health insuance costs cut by $2,500. My wife and I are paying $8,000 now and that will help pay for my fuel costs, I can't wait :skep: .

How can the business NOT get hammered if there are much fewer tourists here??? They obviously will get hammered. At least the whole world has one person we can blame for high gas prices, that makes me feel a lot better about the situation.

When we rode on Wednesday, we headed up to Chicken Point to do the Three Little Pigs. On the way I told the Germans that Chicken Point was a major tourist point and that there would be a lot of pink jeeps up there.

When we got there there was one jeep leaving and not one person there. On our way down Broken Arrow there weren't any other jeeps or riders along the way.

Your right, it's a good time to do some riding in Sedona, if you can afford the gas or live here.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
:solution:

LETS POKE HOLES IN ALASKA!!! and slap all the enviro idiots who care about caribou!

theres my .02

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Exodus11 said:
:solution:

LETS POKE HOLES IN ALASKA!!! and slap all the enviro idiots who care about caribou!

theres my .02
And in the meantime, let's stop looking for alternatives to fuel, and allow oil companies to post record profits, and at the same time fleecing drivers by raising gas prices at rates that are criminal.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I rode in Sedona yesterday out in the Dry Creek area and still saw a few pink jeeps and Hummer tours but not as much as earlier in the year. Driving through Uptown there were still lots of tourists but in general (based on rental inquiries for our trailer by the creek) the tourist crowd tapers off after Memorial Day. Sedona is a tourist hot spot, I doubt even if gas goes to $5/gallon it's going to slow down much.

·
Something goes here...
2,067 Posts
My upside is less MTB and more roadie. It's just easier and a helluva lot cheaper to just roll out on the roadie these days. Especially with it heating up.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peak oil is such a scary idea. Peak water is even scarier! Throw in a strong dose of religious fundamentalism right in the middle of where the oil is (and where the water isn't), and you've got a pretty unsettling scenario.

I don't think I'm ready to drive the last of the Interceptors around the outback, stealing the last gasoline from leather-clad motorsports/piercing enthusaists.

p.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
traildoc said:
Your right, it's a good time to do some riding in Sedona, if you can afford the gas or live here.
Most can't afford to live in Sedona now, so when gas gets too high the riding will truly be....

for the rich and infamous :confused:

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Masterful Art of Manipulation

skinny-tire said:
And in the meantime, let's stop looking for alternatives to fuel, and allow oil companies to post record profits, and at the same time fleecing drivers by raising gas prices at rates that are criminal.
Skinny:

I was trolling for you and now that you are on the line I have a few questions for you:

What do you think the return on investment is for the average oil company?

Since oil companies are making so much money for their owners (stockholders) are you investing in them?

Isn't the cost of fuel dependent on the GLOBAL cost of a barrel of oil?

Is the US the only country capable of coming up with a cheap alternative fuel source? It costs $9.00 a gallon in Europe do you think they are doing any research?

Do you think it is a GREAT idea for our new president to tax the oil companies unreasonable return on investment to fund research on alternative fuel sources?

Do you think all companies who make a higher return on investment than an oil company should also be taxed to fund research on alternative fuel sources?

Are you for the redistribution of wealth?

Did you go to college and study your ass off to get a degree in electrical engineering?

Looking forward to your answers or well thought out questions?

Doc

Curiuos if you are informed enough to give the answers?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
traildoc said:
Skinny:

I was trolling for you and now that you are on the line I have a few questions for you:

Since oil companies are making so much money for their owners (stockholders) are you investing in them?

Is the US the only country capable of coming up with a cheap alternative fuel source? It costs $9.00 a gallon in Europe do you think they are doing any research?

Do you think it is a GREAT idea for our new president to tax the oil companies unreasonable return on investment to fund research on alternative fuel sources?

Do you think all companies who make a higher return on investment than an oil company should also be taxed to fund research on alternative fuel sources?

Did you go to college and study your ass off to get a degree in electrical engineering?

Doc

Traildoc, do you think you are a better rider than skinny-tire?

·
Something goes here...
2,067 Posts
Good post traildoc!

Did you know the oil companies make 10 cents on each gallon but the gov taxes it 18.5 cents a gallon? Or at least the last time I read up on it that's how it was. The gov probably has higher taxes now.

Why is America the only country allowing the Environmental Lobbyists to control the economy? They have such a strangle hold on the politicians that the politicians will be broke if they do not accept their 'bribes.' Every other country is building coal mines to turn into fuel and yet America lags behind. China is building an average of 1 every 2 weeks! It seems like America is the only one caught up in this ridiculous global warming crap. Every other country says 'screw the environment, let's help out citizens and economy!' Not our liberals who only want to tax and tax and tax some more.

And did you know that China, a communist country, is drilling for oil in the neighborhood of 90 miles off of key west? Why? That's something the politicians knew about and did nothing while China swept in and took it.

Wake up to the crooked politicians. I say everyone votes "NONE OF THE ABOVE" on every single ballot in every single election. Not just the Presidential election but all of them...from Congress to judges to local reps. We need to start fresh. New blood needs to be adopted into Washington. Both sides are crooks.

OK rant over....Until someone comes back at me like I know they will.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
yesterday gas at costco was $3.87.
i didn't fill up cuz the lines were very looooooooooong, and at noon it was too
bloody hot to sit there in the sun and burn more gas waiting.

so i went this morning. no lines. BUT the price was $3.91. :madmax:

oh, well, still better than at other places...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
traildoc said:
Skinny:

Doc

Some pretty loaded questions there, so I think I'll just continue on ignoring you.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
Good post traildoc!

Did you know the oil companies make 10 cents on each gallon but the gov taxes it 18.5 cents a gallon? Or at least the last time I read up on it that's how it was. The gov probably has higher taxes now.

Why is America the only country allowing the Environmental Lobbyists to control the economy? They have such a strangle hold on the politicians that the politicians will be broke if they do not accept their 'bribes.' Every other country is building coal mines to turn into fuel and yet America lags behind. China is building an average of 1 every 2 weeks! It seems like America is the only one caught up in this ridiculous global warming crap. Every other country says 'screw the environment, let's help out citizens and economy!' Not our liberals who only want to tax and tax and tax some more.

And did you know that China, a communist country, is drilling for oil in the neighborhood of 90 miles off of key west? Why? That's something the politicians knew about and did nothing while China swept in and took it.

Wake up to the crooked politicians. I say everyone votes "NONE OF THE ABOVE" on every single ballot in every single election. Not just the Presidential election but all of them...from Congress to judges to local reps. We need to start fresh. New blood needs to be adopted into Washington. Both sides are crooks.

OK rant over....Until someone comes back at me like I know they will.
Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a downside to looking for alternatives. My mistake.

I'd be curious to know any other industry that has raised ther prices almost 100% in 12 months. How did the oil companies survive charging $2.30 a gallon?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts