Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 266 Posts

·
Cycologist
7,197 Posts
Everyone should start on a rigid single speed.
I've thought that as well. It's like the argument people make that you should start on a hardtail but to a larger degree. Rigid will teach you the attack position and SS to carry momentum, etc. It's always fun riding my full suspension after riding my ss as I find myself really charging into climbs and using the brakes less.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I'd agree, starting on rigid will accelerate your learning curve.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Always nice when enemies of public lands voice their outdated approaches to land use:
Educate yourself. 😉
Too funny... you're full of irony!

·
CEO Product Failure
1,561 Posts
For me:
  • Large group mtb rides, any organized ride w 12+ ppl, including pre-pandemic, and ESPECIALLY during the pandemic. If you choose to group ride, to each their own.
  • Riders who do not yield the trail (ever) to any other trail user regardless of circumstances and right of way.
  • Riders who wear ear pods, head phones, and/or blast music from blutooth speakers.
  • Posers. Riders who spend 40 min's trail riding and 2hrs hanging in the parking lot.
  • Ebikes and pedal assisted bikes are motorized and should not be subject to the same rules and restrictions as mtb's--to be clear--ebikes have no place on bicycle singletrack. They do have the same privileges as dirt bikes (KTM's, Honda's, Huskies, etc).
  • Your LBS SUCKS! LOL!! I was fiercely loyal to a LBS for 28 yrs. Come to find out the grass IS greener in ALOT at a lot of other LBS'.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Unpopular opinions.
Comment: "Hey that E bike is cheating" Answer: "Oh, you need not feel sorry for me, I don't feel one damned bit cheated!".

E bikes should be allowed everywhere that them thar stinkin horses can go.

I "need" reverse cycle climate control on my fat E bike. This unit here should do the trick along with a tube lined vest
R134a Dc 12v 24v 48v Micro Refrigeration Water Chiller Module Unit For Personal Body Cooling System - Buy Micro Refrigeration Unit,Liquid Cooling System,Personal Body Cooling Product on Alibaba.com

To the road biker you are passing on the parkway. "Electric is the only way to go, you don't sweat and can wear a cocky little straw hat and blue jeans like me."

·
Registered
128 Posts
People try to trials hop around tight switchbacks, do Danny McCaskill moves up rock features and various other hopping and bouncing around on their 29er full suspensions.

Danny also rocks a 29er like trials, didn't look dumb to me.
Plastic boobs are stupid and look ridiculous.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
I agree wholeheartedly. I like the way nature made em!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Really though, a lot of tech trails are boring and repetitive... especially flatter tech trails. The worst is when it's not challenging but still slow and uncomfortable. I like tech but you're kidding yourself if you think it's all most interesting than flow trails.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Really though, a lot of tech trails are boring and repetitive... especially flatter tech trails. The worst is when it's not challenging but still slow and uncomfortable. I like tech but you're kidding yourself if you think it's all most interesting than flow trails.
I prefer high alpine and backcountry trails that lack any style designation. I agree that tech trails can be annoying too. It’s nice to be somewhere where someone else hasn’t been in the past little while.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
281 Posts
It’s just nice to have options. If all you have are tech trails or all you have are flow trails, it can get boring.

Options are nice. It’s also really nice to have access to flow trails to introduce people to mountain biking. A sure fire way to almost make sure someone never wants to go on a second ride is to take them to difficult technical trails...

My wife and daughters love the flow trails in my area. It’s a great way to be able to spend time with my family and get them on bikes.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Agreed. I love techy riding, natural hand-cut trails, roots, rocks, etc etc. That's mostly what I have local to me, it's what I learned to ride on (on a rigid bike with canti brakes), it's what I love.

But man, while I can see why people would get bored of them if it's all you've got local to you, I kinda feel like you've gotta be a little dead inside if you can't enjoy the occasional rip down a well-built flow trail.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agreed. I love techy riding, natural hand-cut trails, roots, rocks, etc etc. That's mostly what I have local to me, it's what I learned to ride on (on a rigid bike with canti brakes), it's what I love.

But man, while I can see why people would get bored of them if it's all you've got local to you, I kinda feel like you've gotta be a little dead inside if you can't enjoy the occasional rip down a well-built flow trail.
I think the angst mostly comes from IMBA and local trail organizations slowly converting all trails to flow trails.

·
aka Taprider
865 Posts
doing trials moves on your mtb is guaranteed to make you look like a goober.
I do agree too much hoppity hopping doesn't look good
But to not derail this thread, I will start an new one about hopping, technical climbs, technique, high points of engagement hubs, Pink Bike's Impossible Climb (yes they are all related to each other)

101 - 120 of 266 Posts