Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I would quit trail riding if I didn't have a dropper post and stick to dirt jumping, bmx and DH. No idea how you guys are hitting gap jumps and big drops with no dropper on your trail bikes.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,013 Posts
Well damn! I have a steel frame with a rigid fork, a dropper, and 2x with a front derailleur (can you say cluttered handlebar). ...and I love a good IPA before, during, and after a ride. I must be the most unpopular guy out there!

-F

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have lots of unpopular opinions:

• I think that carbon is overrated and mostly crap, specially on MTBs, but also on road bikes.
  • 1X is a crappy invention that only manages to loose useful gear range (I have a XT 1x mtb and I still think it's true).
  • SRAM FDs were not that bad.
  • 29" bikes (which I also happen to have one) are not faster and are a whole lot heavier.
  • Bar ends are great unless you never climb.
  • Squirt and othe wax based lubes may be cleaner, but work like crap compared to any decent oil.

·
well mannered lout
2,778 Posts
Newer riders aren't going to be able to take advantage of the higher end suspension components, they just need something that operates smoothly.
I'm confused...how is it that the advantages of quality suspension components are dependent on rider ability?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Another one: some trails are built in a way that encourages sliding around turns and making cut throughs. If you build a straight away descent and have it randomly make a U around a tree when you could have kept the trail straight, you're guaranteeing that riders bypass the tree. Same thing for adding 90 degree turns for the sake of slowing riders down or eeking out .01% more trail...riders will slide through those corners or cut them. You can curse the people who do that while you pile branches across the strava line.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,551 Posts
I gotta say, this thread is a total success. Lots of disagreeing (politely even) with unpopular opinions! Why am I so surprised?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm confused...how is it that the advantages of quality suspension components are dependent on rider ability?
For a new rider it mostly just needs to be comfortable and cover basic needs. A new rider will be fine on a Fox Rhythm fork, no need for DVO or a Grip 2 damper. It's fine for them to buy nice suspension parts but shouldn't be the primary consideration.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
281 Posts
Unpopular opinion:

People think that I should care that they tell me I “overspent, overthought, over upgrade” MY bikes.

My bikes are 100% my guilty pleasure. I’ve been riding, poorly, for many years. I was never able to afford nice bikes or gear. I grew up poor and in a wealthy area, the only reason I got my first mountain bike at 14 was because a rich dude in my area moved away and didn’t want to take it so he gave it to me.

So if I worked my tail off to finally make enough money to provide for my family and buy the bikes/parts I want, that’s my business.

Not sure why me buying what makes me happy seems to hurt your feelings.

81 - 100 of 266 Posts