Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My unpopular opinion is:
  • Building trails without permission from the land owner is a thing of the past and should be avoided in today's trail building climate.
With a substantial portion of the best trails in CA having been built without permission, your opinion is beyond just unpopular.

It's ridiculous... and a bit hypocritical I'd imagine.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,396 Posts
With a substantial portion of the best trails in CA having been built without permission, your opinion is beyond just unpopular.

It's ridiculous... and a bit hypocritical I'd imagine.
Always nice when enemies of public lands voice their outdated approaches to land use:
Educate yourself. 😉

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,778 Posts
Water is over rated.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Controversial you asked.
Tubeless is overrated. It's always the guy with the tubeless that flats because their liquid is dry.
Santa Cruz bikes were overrated for years. Now they are just OK.

Trial moves on a bike are pretty cool, whenever someone does that people look and cheer. Trials riders are also great at clearing gaps way slower than anyone else, good skill to have.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Most newish riders would be better off not getting overly focused on component spec. A lot of people bought the Ripmo AF when it came out because it was 'such a good deal' then later found out they had way more bike than they needed. You don't need a 34 lbs enduro bike with DVO suspension and dual Assegai's to hit 2ft drops and pedal around on flat terrain. They'd have been better off with worse suspension on a more terrain appropriate bike (like a Trance 29 3 with a Marz Z2 or something). Newer riders aren't going to be able to take advantage of the higher end suspension components, they just need something that operates smoothly.

·
Cycologist
7,197 Posts
Plastic boobs are stupid and look ridiculous.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
and set up false expectations and have to be replaced or removed something like every 10 years (I think). By false expectations I mean what society starts to think is normal or how it should be; also a major problem with all the photoshopping done to people's portraits to make them look different than they really are.

·
Cycologist
7,197 Posts
Controversial you asked.
Tubeless is overrated. It's always the guy with the tubeless that flats because their liquid is dry.
Santa Cruz bikes were overrated for years. Now they are just OK.

Trial moves on a bike are pretty cool, whenever someone does that people look and cheer. Trials riders are also great at clearing gaps way slower than anyone else, good skill to have.
I'd say it depends on where you are for tubelese. Outside of thorny places where flats were a common thing, I would agree with you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Bike weight is hugely blown out of proportion by the marketing machine.
IDK -- I feel like the last few years they've spent a lot of time and effort trying to convince that weight doesn't matter. That a 32 lb trail bike is perfectly normal. Presumably in the name of reducing warranty claims.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yeah, if anything the industry has gone away from focusing on lightweight. "Weight doesn't matter" has reached meme status. It's much more common to see someone pedaling a 35 lbs bike around an XC trail than someone on a 19 lbs weight weenie machine with titanium bolts and carbon seatposts.

·
well mannered lout
2,778 Posts
I really don't need a dropper post. It didn't make me a better rider.

61 - 80 of 266 Posts