Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bunny hop thread made me think of this. In my years of mountain biking, I have seen so many people trying to do "trials" moves on their mtb. People try to trials hop around tight switchbacks, do Danny McCaskill moves up rock features and various other hopping and bouncing around on their 29er full suspensions. 99.9% of the time the person looks like a complete goober awkwardly hopping about, with almost no balance or real idea of what they're hoping to accomplish. On the rare occasion that one of these people actually makes it up or over what they're trying to clean, it ALWAYS looks sloppy and accidental.

My (obviously) unpopular opinion: if you aren't a trials rider, doing trials moves on your mtb is guaranteed to make you look like a goober.

What's your unpopular opinion when it comes to mountain biking? Something that everyone seems to think is cool, but you just can't get into it.

This is a light hearted thread...

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,477 Posts
Helmetless parents parading their helmeted kids around the forest.

Dog owners who leave surprises in plastic bags trailside or at trailheads.

Neither of these should be popular but based on how frequently they occur, I’m beginning to assume my opinion is of the minority.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sooooo, no one on a HT or rigid bike attempts trials moves on the trail? Only 29er FS guys?
The FS part was just for dramatics. I've seen a lot of people doing it, but suspension bottoming out as these guys jump up and down like maniacs just makes it that much funnier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second the building of building trails without permission. It's very irritating and does not typically consider any erosion/drainage issues. I talking to you, Las Trampas trail hackers.

Also...remind me again why can't mountain bikers wear just lycra shorts? It's way cooler to avoid wearing a second pair of shorts in the summer.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That many “unpopular opinions” don’t actually meet the definition (i.e. is in-reality a popular one, if not one that is constantly-stated), but feels better for the holder to assume the pose of the rebel.

This may also be one of those.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,399 Posts
  • "Hip packs" are just fanny packs. You've been duped.
That sir is not an Opinion. Hip Pack are Fanny Packs...... they are literally the same thing.

Whether they are cool or not is a different story. My Ex-Brother in law was a police officer, he wore one all the time. He kept his gun in it when off-duty. I never made fun of his fanny/hip pack.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That sir is not an Opinion. Hip Pack are Fanny Packs...... they are literally the same thing.

Whether they are cool or not is a different story. My Ex-Brother in law was a police officer, he wore one all the time. He kept his gun in it when off-duty. I never made fun of his fanny/hip pack.
Haha, that's what I meant. There's definitely a cognitive dissonance between the two. Hip packs are worn by cool dudes wearing colorful clothing and knobby tires. Fanny packs are worn by bargain shoppers at flea markets... and your ex-brother-in-law.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts