Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the the best bike that can handle things from flat local trails to some gnarly steep trails in bike parks. Obviously some terrain will be better for the bike than the other. I don't have the money to buy two bikes so I want one that can handle a lot of things.

Especially I am deciding between 2018 Nukeproof Mega 275C RS and 2018 Canyon Strive 7.0 carbon. The fork and rear shock travel seems to be the same. The reviews and tests also seem to be quite similar.

My biggest issue with the strive is the shapeshifter - some people got that stuck on DH mode. The canyon support quality seems to be on and off. The nukeproof looks like an overkill for the local trails (?.. it is a lot of pedaling a few drops, few jumps, some roots). I got that impression that nukeproof mega is gonna take more abuse.

I would be very happy for any input. Currently I can buy almost new Canyon for the price of a little bit scratched Nukeproof. Maybe someone rode both? I would be also glad if you tell me your size and what size of bike do you run.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can’t speak for the nUKEproof; however the Strive was one of my favorite bikes that I’ve ever had. That being said the shape shifter always worked flawlessly and indeed does make a large difference in Geo. The only thing I didn’t really like was the anti-squat numbers which made it kind of a slug on the long climbs. If you’re more focused on the gnarly descents, I would say strive would be the choice for you, just be prepared it’s not very easy going on those long XC days.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Someone needs to retire the term 'All Rounder'...

There's no such thing

All Mountain FTW

These tend to be bikes just below full on Enduro rigs, but more descent orientated than 'Trail'.

If money grew on trees, I'd be all over the new Hightower.

It looks like a great All Mountain rig.

150/140 to me, looks the sweet spot

Enough to get you out of trouble on the downs.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for contributing to the thread.

Someone needs to retire the term 'All Rounder'...

There's no such thing
I do agree to some point. There is for sure no bike that can do the same in XC as well as downhill.

If money grew on trees, I'd be all over the new Hightower.
I like SC bikes, they are just so expensive even when you try to buy used ones... I wish money grew on trees lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YT Jeffsy should be on your list if you're looking for a fantastic allrounder. It's excellent in XC, climbing and competent descender.
I did actually searched through YT. I think rather than Jeffsy I would go with YT Capra, but it did not seem as good as Nukeproof Mega or Canyon Strive... Just my opinion tho.

I can't speak for the nUKEproof; however the Strive was one of my favorite bikes that I've ever had. That being said the shape shifter always worked flawlessly and indeed does make a large difference in Geo. The only thing I didn't really like was the anti-squat numbers which made it kind of a slug on the long climbs. If you're more focused on the gnarly descents, I would say strive would be the choice for you, just be prepared it's not very easy going on those long XC days.
I will not do as much long XC rides. So you are saying you have never had a problem with the shifter? I ended up ordering 2018 Canyon Strive CF 7.0, I am pretty pumped. I hope the shifter works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.