Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ULTIMATE Big Boy Fork quest?

My '06 66SL just can't keep up with my Avy-enhanced Highline. Y'know when the back end rides way out in front of the fork (stuff you're looking at for the front wheel are much closer than stuff that concern you about the back. It was the shizzle for my RFX but I'm doing much more on the Highline (and loving it!)

The field of candidates is a little large to research from scratch so maybe some of you can toss out opinions to narrow it down. (yes I'm being lazy)

I need 180+ mm
Adjustable would be nice but not required, this isn't a trail bike.
I'm always on a learning curve so it's gotta be tough and forgiving.
Compression adjust ability a must.
I'd like to go back to a coil fork.
Spring options and/or air preload assist critical. I'm 230 lbs w/o gear.
Single Crown preferred, I'd have to really be sold on a DC...not sure I could be.

I'm a Zoke Zealot but love the Pike on my Spot so I'm keeping an open mind to all brands.
User serviceability is definitely a consideration.
Price is a consideration too... used is def a possibility.

I'm in no hurry here so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
How about a used 07 66 RC2x, it's got 180mm of that butter Zoke travel you love.

I just bought El Ching's for my Highline a few weeks ago. Might be hard to track one down, took me months to find one. But it's damn reliable, and no crazy issues like alot of the 08 66 owners and Totem owners seem to have.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Ditto on all the advice given with one exception, yes, the RC3's have some quirks outta the box, but once fixed this fork'll kick the RC2X's tail, ask El C.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
wasea04 said:
Ditto on all the advice given with one exception, yes, the RC3's have some quirks outta the box, but once fixed this fork'll kick the RC2X's tail, ask El C.
I hear the same thing, the RC3's kill it when the kinks are worked out, I think it was Tiss'er who has one on his HL and loves it.

I would have gone for one myself, but I got EL C's RC2x for such a good deal, the money it saved me allowed to buy the remaining parts for my HL build. I might upgrade eventually.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
I don't think there is a magic answer on the big fork question. I do think both the RC3 and the Totem coil are an improvement over my RC2x in terms of stiffness and damping. Question, though, are issues and durability. I just replaced my '06 RC2x with an '09 Totem coil and tiSS'er has been running an '08 RC3 for about 4 or 5 months now.

The RC3 is a NICE feeling fork, but tiSS'er's has developed bushing slop in his. My new Totem is blowing me away as a very nice complement to my Woodie. I know '07 Totems have developed leaks out of the top the mission control top cap, but I would have to think that could stem from not tightening the top cap to torque specs. Time will tell. I hope as hell the Totem holds up because I just sold my 'ol reliable RC2x.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
If you can track down a lightly used '07 RC2X, that'd be my advice, Zilla. Adjustable, reliable and confidence inspiring. I've got roughly 35 park days and at least that many other FR days on mine and it's so buttery right now it should be illegal - in fact, I think it is in 27 states! ;) 2 oil changes is all I've done to it.

I ride with a large group of dudes and there's been enough issues with Totems (multiple issues for several of them) that I'm still really skeptical of those forks. When they work right, they do feel amazing though. All of the RC3 issues I've heard are strictly anecdotal.....so I won't spew some interweb e-rumors on that. I'm just not sold on the supposed fixes for them yet.

Cheers,
EB

My '07 going strong.

I overshot this tranny by ~10 feet. Whoops!

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Zilla,

I've got about 25 hours on my RC3 now, and it's really starting to feel good. Do I prefer it over the 07 66 RC2X? Initially I didn't, as it was kind of harsh right out of the box. But now that it's broken in, It's the shat. Stiffer than the old 66, and I prefer the one knob compression adjust. The compression range is pretty wide. At my weight, I am running the mechanical preload all the way on, with 3 pumps of air in the air preload w/5 clicks of compression. I have yet to feel the bottom of this fork. After every ride, I am getting full travel, but no bottom out clunk. I'm running the 1/18th version, just because they were going for $549.00 on E-bay. The QR thru axle is awesome too. I have heard great things about the totem coil from smaller riders, but larger riders have all told me that they have an issue with bottoming the fork out despite high compression settings and the heaviest spring kit. I'll be cracking my RC3 open on Sunday to change the oil. I'll report back on any differences between the old and new.

Edit: Zilla, I just spoke to Slim. He has an 07 RC2X on his RFX that he is looking to unload. He ordered a Highline with RC3 on it. PM me if interested, and we can send you some pics.

Attachments

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
What youre not selling your Highline :D

Like everyone else!

You need an RFX again buddy, pony up that baby with a Boxxer Team 35mm stop messing about, from what Ive seen from ya picc's you're in hucking mode and taking it to the big places, get a triple and be done with it, you'll only end up doing it sooner or later better sooner and cheaper than later!

Plus 09 Grey Zoke dosen't match your color scheme, 08s agree too much dodge about em but you need big legs if going SC, anyone mentioned Totem coil yet, I'd choose 09 35mm BT though, just my thoughts, and good to see ya holding onto your HL brotha :thumbsup:

·
Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
208 Posts
Get the 07 Rc2x. 08 Zoke models have serious QC issues. Avoid the Boxxers as they are far too bendy and can't handle a guy of your size. I'm 6'3'' 205 and love the 888 rc2x on my HL.

Single crowns on a HL don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
El Chingon said:
Edit: Zilla, I just spoke to Slim. He has an 07 RC2X on his RFX that he is looking to unload. He ordered a Highline with RC3 on it. PM me if interested, and we can send you some pics.
The other option is to order the parts to convert your '06 SL to an RC2X. Talk to Renegade and he can give you the 411.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Single Crown preferred, I'd have to really be sold on a DC...not sure I could be.
Hey Zilla-

Brands & years aside, I think you are making the right call with a single crown. The 203mm boxxer would be good too, since it's the same a2c length as the 180mm totem.

I really enjoyed the suspension feel of the 203mm 888 on my highline, but the steering was TOO SLACK for slow/flat handling when combined with the 7" back end and tall King headet. I had two really dumb crashes in the short time I ran that combo, on flat relatively wide ladder bridges (one was that day with you of course). Being able to mow steep DH and then struggle with easy flat wide stuff was frustrating.

I think with the King headset, the 180mm SC forks would be ideal. That's what I'll be running if I still own my highline next summer.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SC === I'm still holding out hopes to one day learn X-ups.

Renny, can I convert my '06 to a 180mm RC2X? is it worth it?
The '09 RC3 looks pretty schweet, I can deal with the charcoal, more or less, as long as the stanchions are black.

EBX... how much do you pay your photog to make you look like Jordan? :D :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Bikezilla said:
SC === I'm still holding out hopes to one day learn X-ups.

The '09 RC3 looks pretty schweet, I can deal with the charcoal, more or less, as long as the stanchions are black.

EBX... how much do you pay your photog to make you look like Jordan? :D :thumbsup:
Whips and cross ups are more useful in big jumps than Xups, learn those then Xups become radical on triples:D

I like the Grey myself, slowly going back to what made them so popular, All Black, hopefully by then decent decals like of old and that reliable Zoke feel and performance!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Yes, and yes, depending on parts pricing. For best pricing, getting someone like Larry or Chad, etc. to order the parts would be a good thing. I can supply you with part numbers.

I actually have those exact complete goods; 180mm RC2 and X carts, springs, etc that I've been holding onto for a project, which is why I haven't offered them to you. If for some reason I bag on that project.........I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm loving my 66 RC3 (08). I seem to be one of the lucky ones, not a problem to speak of. Super smooth, great adustibility, stiff as hell. Also, like EB said, 07 Marzocchi's were the bees knees' as well. i can't speak for the 66, but I ran a 07 888 World Cup for a while and absolutely loved it, no complaints at all.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
888?

You're a big dude, and the Highline is a big bike. Why not run a big ass fork?

I have an 06 888rc2... love it. I had an 06 66rc2x for a while too, but the 888 is a different world.

The 66 is sweet, it's hard to complain, but the 888 is just that much more... it goes to eleven.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.