Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Turkey Point FAQ & conditions thread

59K views 379 replies 63 participants last post by  RJ Emm 
#1 · (Edited)
I get alot of emails and PM's about the trails around Turkey Point asking various questions about the trails / distance / maps / etc. I figured I'd throw it all together here and give everyone a heads up about this great place to ride that I'm lucky enough to have as my backyard.

Where is the trailhead?

The best place to start out from is Long Point Eco-Adventures. The parking is free and there is a trail information board there, as well as a water tower with the TPMBC logo. The address for Eco-Adventures is 1730 Front Road, Turkey Point, ON N0E

What are the trails like?

The trails are mostly fast flowing singletrack through rolling terrain with a few short steep climbs, not much of a technical challenge but the flow of the trails is quite amazing. There are two main sections of trail, the East side and the West side. The East side is sandy base soils and drains and dries very well, the West side has more clay based soils and takes a bit more to dry out.

How many trails are there?

The main loops are Turkey Point are made up of lots of smaller trails from 0.5km to 5km in length. Total singletrack is somewhere in the 40km area. Most of the trails are signed, the rest coming soon.

Is there a map available?

The Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club is in the process of making a map of all the trails. I've heard it should be available soon.

Is there a fee to ride the trails?

The trails at Turkey Point are free to ride, they are maintained by the great folks of the TPMBC.

When does Turkey Point open for the riding season?

The sandy trails at TP are spectacular are drying fast, usually as soon as the snow melts the trails are good to go, much sooner than any other trail in Ontario. The trails are also great for winter riding as the area does not see a large amount of snowfall (usually).

I've heard that there might be Poison Ivy and Ticks out there

Before heading out to TP you should familiarize yourself with Ticks and the risk of Lyme Disease as there are lots of ticks out there. More information here: Lyme Disease

There is also lots of poison ivy out there, try to stay on the trails to keep away from it. Remember: leaves of three let if be.

Where can I learn more about Turkey Point?

Visit the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club's website at Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club - Home
The club hosts a members ride on weeknights once a week, and usually a weekend ride each month / week depending on the time of year. Becoming a member is a great way to meet others who ride the trails and get a good tour of the area from locals like myself.

See less See more
#377 ·
Due to Covid, I didn't get to Turkey Point during autumn of '20 per my post/ info request above. However I did finally get down there last week, and I must say I loved these trails, great fun and flowing rides! Very different than my home trails in Muskoka! I had a great campsite in Turkey Point PP, with a feeder trailhead right off my site, which was sweet! Neither the campground or the trails were very busy because of mid week/ late season, so that was nice too!
Pics here...

#2 ·
Trail Conditions - March 17/18th 2012

Trails are all in excellent shape on the East side, West side has a few slick spots. Trails are dry and have been for some time. Very little deadfall on the trail. Soil conditions are Hero Dirt - sticks like rubber.

#6 ·
I was there today with a buddy for the first time. At the trailhead a local who was enjoying a brew after riding was kind enough to give us great directions for the trails. (Thank you to whoever you are!)

The trails are in amazing condition!! Dry (almost too dry!), and sandy. Most of the trails we had a chance to ride were very fast and flowy/twisty. (yes both) We saw plenty of other trails we did not have a chance to get to that appeared, from the branch points, to be more technical. We will be back to check...in fact, a weekend of camping at the park, and riding, will be in order.

#9 ·
Glad you guys are enjoying the trails, if anyone is interested I'm thinking of guiding a group ride of the East side trails on Sunday, covering everything on the east side in an awesome loop I usually ride, it would be about 23km of singletrack riding. Let me know if anyone is interested......

#12 ·
I'm in, depending on the weather - forecast right now is for rain Friday,Sat,Sunday.
I was up there on Saturday for the first time. Messed around on the trails around the park, found them pretty awful.
Finally found the good trails towards the end of the day. Amazing, a ton of great work by you guys there.

#25 ·
I took the afternoon off and went back up to Turkey Point.
Now that I know the area, I had a ball on the trails. Those trails are rigid/single speed heaven - short hard uphills, short fast downhills, tight tight corners.
I just joined the Turkey Point club - you guys deserve my money, all the effort you've put into those trails.

#30 · (Edited)
I'm up to making it from the car to the trailhead before wanting to go home. For some strange reason I always seem to keep going even though my legs hurt and I can't breath...must be punishing myself for the usual winter sloth.

Have not been down since the fall, but a buddy has been riding TP most of the winter when frozen.

My family has decided to move the anual May24 camping trip from P.Burwell PP to TPPP so hope to finally figure the damn place out...

michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.