Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

321 - 340 of 376 Posts

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Its been confirmed that all trails within the provincial park will be closed this weekend. If you are coming out, plan on riding the West Side trails or the Anderson Tract / Dump properties. Stay clear of the PP while the burn is taking place.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the update, I hit some our trails with a leaf blower last night to help them dry a bit faster and there is still ice in some sections if you can believe it, but I expect today to make a huge difference.

We may go to Ellicotville instead tomorrow, the drive ends up being only 30min further (not including the border) but there won't be any smoke in the air.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Its been confirmed that all trails within the provincial park will be closed this weekend. If you are coming out, plan on riding the West Side trails or the Anderson Tract / Dump properties. Stay clear of the PP while the burn is taking place.
Is this going to have much of an effect on the tick population?

Is this likely to have much of an impact on the trails?

·
Registered
149 Posts
A good size group of us from Niagara decided to take the chance and head out to Turkey Point. Even if the whole park had remained closed there are still more than enough km of trail for a good long ride. So glad we did keep plans to ride there. When we pulled into the parking lot we were greeted by park staff who informed us about the burn. After reviewing a map with him the only trail off limits at the time was Saudwinder because they were burning south of Mole Road, Big Mike was re-opened because the burn was finished there Saturday. We headed north of Mole Road for a few solid hours of riding. After a break the plan was to head south and over to the west side. We rode down Big Mike through a burn zone from Saturday. Kind of neat ridding on a ribbon of brown dirt through black and gray ash. Other than the campfire smell the trail was not changed at all by the fire. On our way back from the West Side we noticed all the burn signs were taken down so we headed back via 226 and Saudwinder. It looked like the only other burn area was in the Whippoorwill camp ground. A great day of riding on some fantastic trails. It was also really encouraging to see three truckloads of families with kids pull into the parking lot and unload the super cycles. Really great thing happening with the trails in the area if they are attracting not only the avid mountain bikers with all the fancy kit and bikes but the average family you would expect to see on a bike path.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Is this going to have much of an effect on the tick population?

Is this likely to have much of an impact on the trails?
Might be less ticks in the burn areas. No impact on the trails other than a couple of them look crispy now.

A good size group of us from Niagara decided to take the chance and head out to Turkey Point. Even if the whole park had remained closed there are still more than enough km of trail for a good long ride. So glad we did keep plans to ride there. When we pulled into the parking lot we were greeted by park staff who informed us about the burn. After reviewing a map with him the only trail off limits at the time was Saudwinder because they were burning south of Mole Road, Big Mike was re-opened because the burn was finished there Saturday. We headed north of Mole Road for a few solid hours of riding. After a break the plan was to head south and over to the west side. We rode down Big Mike through a burn zone from Saturday. Kind of neat ridding on a ribbon of brown dirt through black and gray ash. Other than the campfire smell the trail was not changed at all by the fire. On our way back from the West Side we noticed all the burn signs were taken down so we headed back via 226 and Saudwinder. It looked like the only other burn area was in the Whippoorwill camp ground. A great day of riding on some fantastic trails. It was also really encouraging to see three truckloads of families with kids pull into the parking lot and unload the super cycles. Really great thing happening with the trails in the area if they are attracting not only the avid mountain bikers with all the fancy kit and bikes but the average family you would expect to see on a bike path.
Glad you enjoyed it. I was out there the day before and it was fantastic. Any more TP rides planned soon? We should do a ride together.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Bikin'Bric we are planning on being back down for the 1 May demo ride then we are back with a big group camping and riding in the park for the July 1st long weekend. I will send a msg next trip your way.

·
likes to rides bikes
188 Posts
Not sure if MTBR readers are also active on PinkBike forums, but buddy over there posted a pretty detailed thread about ticks & lyme disease so I'm going to have to go ahead and copy-paste for all y'alls reading pleasures.

Bikin' Bric feel free to edit/delete/add-to as you see fit. I know there are local medical resources available ie. testing ticks you have found/removed, but personally I am not up to speed on this topic. But I like riding the trails down at TP so we might as well talk about this stuff, right?

I'm guessing the best thing to talk about is bug spray, because wearing long-sleeves in the heat of summer just isn't going to work. Either that, or napalm all the trails for our riding pleasure - not sure which option is the best bet really, so what do you folks recommend?

LYME DISEASE is in Southern Ontario and Quebec - Educate Yourself! - Pinkbike Forum

Hey Everyone!

Southern Ontario and parts of Quebec are absolute HOTBEDS for Lyme Disease right now. This is the time of year when ticks are just starting to become active, so take a few minutes to educate yourself for when you’re on the trails.

What is Lyme Disease?

Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection. It is transferred to humans through the bite of a tick. These ticks are incredibly small, and if there’s one attached to you right now, there’s a good chance you probably don’t know. This is an image of an adult tick next to a baby tick; both can transmit Lyme Disease:

So How do These Ticks Get on Me?

Ticks climb onto the edges of long grass and weeds, and extend their legs into the air, waiting for a passer-by to cling on to. Simply brushing up against some long grass on the edge of the trail as you fly by on your bike is enough for one of these little buggers to hitch a ride on you.

Ok So Now the Tick is Crawling on Me… Now what?

The tick will crawl on you until it comes to a spot on your skin to it’s liking. It will then dig it’s head into you, and start sucking some of your blood. Unlike a mosquito however, the tick will remain attached to you for up to several days.

That Doesn’t Sound Fun…

Well unfortunately it gets worse. As the tick is sucking your blood, it transfers bacteria from it’s own body into your blood stream. The most notorious is a bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. Ticks can also transfer other bacteria to you that cause infections like Bartonella, Babesia, Anaplasmosis, and a bunch of other complicated-sounding infections.

So I found a Tick Stuck in Me! Now What?

Well first, count yourself lucky. More than 50% of people with Lyme Disease don’t ever remember being bit, or ever seeing a tick on their body. Remember these buggers can be very small. To remove the tick, get a pair of tweezers, and pull it out straight from your skin. DO NOT PULL IT OUT AT AN ANGLE. DO NOT TRY TO SCRATCH IT OFF. Make sure you’re gripping the tick from as low down as possible; you will need to pull surprisingly hard.

Ok Tick Removed, Problem Solved!

Not quite. If that tick had the Lyme bacteria, or any other harmful bacteria in it’s body, that bacteria is now in your bloodstream, multiplying. Save the tick and take it with you to your doctor. GO TO THE DOCTOR ASAP. DO NOT WAIT A WEEK BECAUSE YOU FEEL FINE. Get your doctor to prescribe 2 to 3 weeks of oral antibiotics, even if you have no symptoms. If your doctor refuses to do this, find a new doctor. Seriously. You need to be on antibiotics ASAP after a bite, regardless how you feel.

I’ve Heard That I’m Going to Get a Bulls-Eye Rash on my Skin?

Yes and no. If you get a bulls-eye rash, you have a Lyme infection. BUT, fewer than 50% of people with Lyme will actually get the rash, so you’re not safe if you don’t get one.

What Symptoms Should I Look Out For Now?

One of the reasons Lyme is so hard to diagnose is the huge variety of symptoms it can produce. It’s called a “Great Imitator” because it can present like almost any other illness (including small illnesses like the flu, or more severe diseases like MS and Parkinsons). Here are just a few symptoms, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANY OF THESE AND STILL BE INFECTED:

Flu like symptoms, skin rashes, sore/weak/swelling joints and muscles, fatigue, fever, night sweats, tingling/numbing/burning in extremities, headache, anxiety, memory loss, brain fog, other neurological problems.

I’m really just scratching the surface here. Check out ILADS.org for more information on symptoms, treatments, etc.

I Have Several Symptoms, My Doctor in Canada is Doing a Blood Test…

The screening test for Lyme Disease in Canada is terrible. It has something like a 70% false negative rate. If you do blood work for your doctor in Canada, and they tell you that you don’t have Lyme Disease based on that alone, it’s BS.

So What are My Options Then?

Well remember, if you got those antibiotics from your doctor after the initial bite, and you have no symptoms, you’re probably fine now. However, there are a number of people who will continue to have symptoms after the antibiotics, or won’t get symptoms until months after the bite, at which point a short-course antibiotic will be much less effective.

Doctors in Canada cannot legally prescribe long-term antibiotics for Lyme Disease in Canada, so most people in this situation end up going to the States, and paying for it out of pocket. If you think you have chronic Lyme Disease and are looking for a doctor, check out the physician referral on ILADS.org. Also, you can check Lyme Disease message boards on sites like mdjunction.com or healingwell.com. If you post a LLMD request (Lyme-literate-medical-doctor) on these sites, someone will usually direct you.

Again, make sure you see an LLMD, not an everyday doctor who practices across the border. These LLMD see Lyme and only Lyme, and are the only ones who can accurately diagnose and treat the disease. We don't have any LLMD's in Canada.

Are There Ways of Preventing This Whole Thing?

Of course. While out hiking, riding, or doing anything else in areas with long grass, please:

• wear long sleeves and pants
• wear light coloured clothes so you can spots ticks crawling on you
• tuck your pants into your socks to prevent ticks from getting under your pants (cool looking, I know)
• wear bug spray
• check your entire body for ticks after being out. Ticks LOVE to crawl into dark crevices, so pay special attention to your armpits, kneepits, scalp, etc.

Anything Else?

Well you can feel free to post any questions in this thread, or you can PM me. Of course there’s so much information online too.

Happy Trails and Stay Safe!

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Good info. I use lots of bug spray with DEET and treat my clothes with permethrin and have not had any issues. Long socks are a good idea too.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
I've been slacking up the updates lately but here goes.

Fox on the Run is temporarily closed until spring for logging. All other trails open (with the exception of Wiskey Jack which is permanently closed).

Conditions are A1 right now.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
FYI: East Side trails are in great shape with a few blown down trees from the wind storm we had. West Side is a bit slick but will be dry in a week or so.

Also, TPMBC Spring Kicker is coming soon!!!!!!!!

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
It was a great weekend for riding. Seems there are more and more out-of-towners coming every spring now and the core trails were very busy.

Photo op of us local guys.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi folks. I'll be riding/camping Turkey Point, August long weekend 5th-6th
How do I get a hold of the TPMBC for a possible group ride? Their website has no contact information.
There are group rides Sunday Morning
Rides —

The trail system is so well marked with a map it is easy to make up your own ride. Or you could just join the club to support the awesome work they do there and get on the contact list. ( I have) $35.00 is a bargin for such an awesome trail destination.

Become A Member —

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
This is now my fav place to ride. Started at the Eco-Adventures parking lot and made our way through 31km of single track. The best part is the northern sections with the twisty-turny stuff. It's like an outdoor Joyride 150. Was going to do the Sunday group ride, but slept in due to the previous nights festivities. We camped nearby at Sandhill Park, so it made the 2:30 drive worth it. Highly recommended.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 376 Posts