Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually post in my regional forum. Passion seemed like the place for this one though. Riding in this area is what started the obsession. I was in my mid forties when I started riding about 6 years ago. Knees and ankles starting complaining about my regular jogging, so I quit. You can guess what happened next, the weight started adding on and 175 lbs became 195 lbs. So I'll try this here mountain bike thing. Bought a Giant AC and thought I would enjoy the cush FS ride on rails to trails and maybe some Forest Service road. That's how innocent it started anyway.

Riding along the old railroad bed close to home, I would always see these 3 Forest Service trailheads. Not formal trails, but old logging roads with "no motorized vehicle" signs. Eventually, curiosity got the best of me. I took a ride on one of them. It didn't kill me, but that first half mile climb almost got the best of me. How do people do this? Then, a taste of the downhill and I was hooked. Spent my first 6 months of riding exclusively on these trails. Later, I wanted more challenge and moved on to more vertical and rocky stuff. But these trails in the pics are what got me hooked on mountain biking. Some point and clicks:

Sorry for the self centric pics, but I was solo riding that day with my gorilla pod.

The area was logged 20 or 30 years ago, but has come back nicely. There are a couple of wildlife ponds along one trail.

And here I pass an old trash dump, which reminds me that the way people used to do things wasn't always better. A home for tires and old refrigerators. Luckily, the green will hide it soon.

Funny, how Mother Nature doesn't really like doubletrack. Over time, she has been kind enough to slowly turn it back into singletrack.

A couple of spring pics

Serviceberry is one of the first things to bloom in western Virginia

I've always liked this spot. Its part of the old railroad bed

Since these pictures were taken a week ago, Spring has sprung and everything's a lot greener. I love Spring in Virginia. I still love riding these trails that started it all too……..

·
BMX:Our Shining Future
875 Posts
Over time she has been kind enough to slowly turn it back to singletrack

Very interesting point. A LOT of the singletrack I see is animal trails. The first "mountain bikers" in Montana, the Buffalo Soldiers, rode all the way from Missoula to somewhere in the midwest on buffalo trail back at the turn of the century. I like to ride "game trails" partly for the amusement of it all also because often it's really nice trail through really nice places. It's quite possible that a lot of double track out there followed game trails in the first place. Not to advocate ANY sort of illegal riding. Whatsoever. Aw what the heck. The BLM and wildlife refuges are loaded with cattle trails and they are of a design and style that no human would ever come up with. Nice post and shots heartland.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Awesome post CCR! A lot of our local singletrack here in NGA are old doubletrack roads from logging or gold mining years and years back or something of that nature. Today I rode some singletrack trails (Pinhoti) down what looked like old road beds that were 7-10 feet wide, but except for the singletrack the only thing that remained on the old road benchcut where trees that looked to be close to 50 years old or more. But the signs of an old roadbed still lingered.

Interesting stuff

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
davidarnott said:
Very interesting point. A LOT of the singletrack I see is animal trails. The first "mountain bikers" in Montana, the Buffalo Soldiers, rode all the way from Missoula to somewhere in the midwest on buffalo trail back at the turn of the century. I like to ride "game trails" partly for the amusement of it all also because often it's really nice trail through really nice places. It's quite possible that a lot of double track out there followed game trails in the first place. Not to advocate ANY sort of illegal riding. Whatsoever. Aw what the heck. The BLM and wildlife refuges are loaded with cattle trails and they are of a design and style that no human would ever come up with. Nice post and shots heartland.
Interesting stuff. Some of these trails run out, but theres usually a deer trail that continues on. Our East Coast wildlife (deer) trails are usually too tight to ride unless they are brushed out. Guess we need to borrow some of your buffalo.

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtbGreg said:
Awesome post CCR! A lot of our local singletrack here in NGA are old doubletrack roads from logging or gold mining years and years back or something of that nature. Today I rode some singletrack trails (Pinhoti) down what looked like old road beds that were 7-10 feet wide, but except for the singletrack the only thing that remained on the old road benchcut where trees that looked to be close to 50 years old or more. But the signs of an old roadbed still lingered.

Interesting stuff
Thanks Greg. Yea we have a lot of old iron mining roads from the late 1800's and early 1900's in this area. I think there's a lot of cool stuff out there for those willing to explore a little. The beauty of a mountain bike is that we don't need a whole lot of trail to get through.

·
Registered
789 Posts
CraigCreekRider said:
Thanks Greg. Yea we have a lot of old iron mining roads from the late 1800's and early 1900's in this area. I think there's a lot of cool stuff out there for those willing to explore a little. The beauty of a mountain bike is that we don't need a whole lot of trail to get through.
Definitely. Sometimes when I'm riding, I see all of those abandoned road beds that are completely overgrown, and I just see potential for hundreds of miles of singletrack that could be cut fairly easily out there. It's cool to dream!

·