Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collonade

So far a year into the construction phase of the mt. bike skills park and things are coming along pretty well.
Underneath I-5 just north of Downtown Seattle, this park will be a great showcase for mt. biking to the public.

The beginner trail is really getting close to being done.
i envision this Spring we'll have a fun new stretch of singletrack that everyone can enjoy while work will be focused on the intermediate and advanced sections.
That's when i think people are going to really start raising their brows to this parks potential.

My job today was to get the framing on a bridge completed.
Also helping me was Ross who had his own project of setting in sandstone pavers on both sides of the bridge.

Mike W who's worked extensively on the project really was pushing to have me complete the bridge.
Since i'm in construction by trade, basic carpentry is not anything i dread.
While pushing for that he also clued me into the fact that we have a ton of sandstone that nobody knew what to do with.
Grippy like sandpaper i thought it was a no-brainer we should use them to make easy approaches to each side of the bridge.
Ross came over and really did an outstanding job putting the idea to reality.

Packing in the gaps with fill gravel.

Art T who's really like the project manager for this whole shindig,
really wanted a bridge that started with a right bank, leveled, then as it turns left at the top have it bank to the left.
The height of the 2 post were a little extreme so i had to replace one, and trim another down.
The angles were super odd, so getting the frame done took alot of time.
Then toe-nailing some 2X6 bracing to tie it together and add a touch more lateral strength.
It's very solid now, once we get some split cedar for runners it's gonna be dialed for years.

Stoked to get it done, and stoked to use my new 24 volt cordless toys!

Comin together nicely, it won't be long before people can start riding here.
Most of the volunteers hauled rocks and dirt, clearing another switchback, and filling more gabions for support.

And yet another group of volunteers congregated on the first real project of the intermediate/advanced side.
Seattles first legitamate pump track.
i met Van, Nate and some others before i left for the day, they all seem stoked to contribute to the cause.

And why not be stoked since all the hard labor put into this place is not eventually going to be bulldozed for whatever reason.
No it's here to stay, total legit.
And personally that's a big reason of why i back this project,
because there are so many underground XC/DH/FR/DJ's trails
and this is a huge step in making possibly the existing ones and more in the future cemented as legit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Wow, what's there to say about nice work except NIICE WORK:thumbsup: oh yeah, thanks for all the work-to you, to everyone who works on the project. It's really neat being able to see everything come together.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turtle 1 said:
Wow, what's there to say about nice work except NIICE WORK:thumbsup: oh yeah, thanks for all the work-to you, to everyone who works on the project. It's really neat being able to see everything come together.
Hope to see some of your Turtle rides out there soon. It's gonna be a great bikey playground for the teachers like yourself to get some boot campers feet wet.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Skookum said:
Hope to see some of your Turtle rides out there soon. It's gonna be a great bikey playground for the teachers like yourself to get some boot campers feet wet.:thumbsup:
We're really looking forward to riding the park, it's gonna be a fantastic place for kids and adults; can't wait.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Did some work down there last night before the snows. It's really coming together and looks like 3 more small sections and the novice area will be complete and ready for a ride posting. I am hoping it happens this year. But, unlikely...

Skooks, I may have a line on some cedar for the bridge and will do some scoping/cutting for Art. I believe he wanted 30" and 36" pieces.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Borneo said:
Skooks, I may have a line on some cedar for the bridge and will do some scoping/cutting for Art. I believe he wanted 30" and 36" pieces.
Sweet! We definately need all the cedar we can get.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slomoking said:
Skookum, what excatly do you guys need for the bridges?
We'd like whatever someone can give us. We don't have the tools yet to split it ourselves but if someone were able to deliver some quality rounds to us, i know the club would buy the tools so we could split it by hand onsite.

We need some 4 foot rungs about 2 to 3 inches thick for this particular bridge, but i highly suspect that size being the widest we will need. i'm anticipating other bridge rungs will need to be around the 2 to 3' range.

But who knows maybe we'll be framing up for a wall ride in which case we could probably use some longer ones.

So again we'll take whatever we can get.

The older the tree the better the oils that keep the surface grippy and resistant to rot.

If you have some cedar to donate go ahead and pm me and i'll get you dialed into any contact info/emails you need. Or if you prefer get ahold of Justin or Jon.

http://www.bbtc.org/advocacy/contacts.php

·
Registered
225 Posts
that pump track looks tight, someone post a thread or pm next time there is a work party on that thing, ill be down there in an instant

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,756 Posts
slomoking said:
Skookum, what excatly do you guys need for the bridges?
If anyone has a source for free logs, let us know! Hauling them is the trick, and often expensive, so keep that in mind. We could use 50 logs, and ideally half or more would be cedar.

What: Douglas Fir or Cedar only.
Size: 18" diameter or more, 4' long or longer.

We'll use some of it for rungs, some for logrides, and some of it for a combo retaining wall/logride type thing. For any durable application you actually have to split the rungs pretty thick so we need quite a bit of wood. In my fantasy world every rung in the world would be at least 3" thick, but admittedly that can get expensive.

Cedar is is grippy and rot resistant, but it's not that strong so it wears down fast and you need to factor that in when engineering your features. Picture the grooves in the middle of bridges up at Fromme - those are just from tires braking on the wood. The question becomes, what is an acceptable amount of time for the wood to last before it's worn down too thin and you have to replace it?

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
juice said:
If anyone has a source for free logs, let us know! Hauling them is the trick, and often expensive, so keep that in mind. We could use 50 logs, and ideally half or more would be cedar.

What: Douglas Fir or Cedar only.
Size: 18" diameter or more, 4' long or longer.
Try calling locals tree care companies. When are always looking to get rid of wood resulting from tree removal jobs when the logs don't meet the typical mill standards of straight grained, 10 feet long and at least 18 inches diameter.

Often times, they pay to dump "waste" wood, so you'd be doing them a favor.

Also city and county crews remove trees along roads and in parks daily, and could donate their wood, maybe even some bigger and longer lengths.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave_schuldt said:
Bobcat time, lots of work parties posted.
For people who are not in the know, this is a Bobcat. It will move tons of dirt and rocks making the work ALOT easier, and the opportunity to see alot faster results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.