Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bud of mine and I were discussing SS'ing and we came up with this list - I'm somewhere between 8 and 9...

The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding

1. Build your first singlespeed -- inspired by others riding SS, you either convert an old bike or buy an entry level SS to get the flavor.. Ride it, ***** about how hard it is getting up the hills, think about where to ride next. Lather, rinse and repeat...

2. Upgrade madness -- the weight weenie / blinglespeed side takes over and you suddenly develop a need to upgrade. A combination of an empty bank account, an upset significant other or a weight weenie part failure ensues. You have parts shipped to work, so the wife won't see the bike parts you ordered. You start looking for ideas (like the MTBR SS forum) to further your obsession of the perfect SS.

3. Gear ratios - your brain becomes obsessed with determining the optimum gear ratio for the upcoming race or given terrain. You temporarily lose focus on just riding and being one with your bike. Your library of forks, chain rings and cogs/cassettes starts to rival the selection at Supergo or Webcyclery.

4. Realization - the entry level SS no longer is good enough. You convince yourself you need a better bike -- custom, SS specific, whatever..

5. Purism - you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) Start hating RockShox and Shimano just on principle, and start thinking rigid forks and DH tires are the better setup.

6. Laziness - you go out and upgrade to a "proper" SS. Now that you it, the upgrade and gear ratio obsessions are fulfilled. You get lazy, and start trashing your bike without taking care of it. You forget about checking tire pressures, chain tension, broken teeth and don't even consider about the consequences. A wonderful delusion, until the bike leaves you stranded 5 miles from your car, and your cell phone has no signal deep in the woods...

7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a **** about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

9 (optional) Scorching - as if SS'ing isn't fringe enough, start thinking http://www.63xc.com is an interesting alternative. Give it a go, maybe even get hooked.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
paqrat said:
A bud of mine and I were discussing SS'ing and we came up with this list - I'm somewhere between 8 and 9...
Its all so true :D

Give #9 a go, silly amounts of fun and you'll build your next bike up with no rear brake bosses :cool:

SSP

(#9-ish.....and a long way off #10)

·
Illegal Allien
255 Posts
so true!

Good stuff!

I'm actually taking a buddy of mine for his first SS ride. He is gonna be using one of my SS's and I'm sure a Bianchi HT that he has laying around will be his next bike of choice. A SS no less!

I also hope to ride his ass to the ground for the first time ever and watch him puke, curse and hurt like he usually makes me feel.

oh yes!

G

·
Very funny!

My slightly modified version:

The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding

1. Build your first singlespeed -- inspired by others riding SS, you either convert an old bike or buy an entry level SS to get the flavor.. Ride it, ***** about how hard it is getting up the hills, think about where to ride next. Lather, rinse and repeat...

2. Upgrade madness -- the weight weenie / blinglespeed side takes over and you suddenly develop a need to upgrade. A combination of an empty bank account, an upset significant other or a weight weenie part failure ensues. You have parts shipped to work, so the wife won't see the bike parts you ordered. You start looking for ideas (like the MTBR SS forum) to further your obsession of the perfect SS.

This happened VERY early on.... 7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

3. Gear ratios - your brain becomes obsessed with determining the optimum gear ratio for the upcoming race or given terrain. You temporarily lose focus on just riding and being one with your bike. Your library of forks, chain rings and cogs/cassettes starts to rival the selection at Supergo or Webcyclery.

4. Realization - the entry level SS no longer is good enough. You convince yourself you need a better bike -- custom, SS specific, whatever..

5. Purism - you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) Start hating RockShox and Shimano just on principle, and start thinking rigid forks and DH tires are the better setup.

6. Laziness - you go out and upgrade to a "proper" SS. Now that you it, the upgrade and gear ratio obsessions are fulfilled. You get lazy, and start trashing your bike without taking care of it. You forget about checking tire pressures, chain tension, broken teeth and don't even consider about the consequences. A wonderful delusion, until the bike leaves you stranded 5 miles from your car, and your cell phone has no signal deep in the woods...

I'm currently sitting right about here...

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a **** about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

9 (optional) Scorching - as if SS'ing isn't fringe enough, start thinking http://www.63xc.com is an interesting alternative. Give it a go, maybe even get hooked.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Oh man....

seems like I am in the #4-5 range, with a taste of #8. Oh, can relate to all points. Thanks for making me laugh so hard I was crying. Parts and bikes get shipped to work all the time ;) (I don't work in a shop). Nice job Paqrat.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
2ish

Thats great. I think I was one of those few who skipped 0-2 and started somewhere around 2.5. Thought that a SS was cool rode my bro's aboout 3 times and then built my own upgraded one. I am dreading the gear ratio bit though. Is it possible to just miss phases all toghether? Skip 3, and move onto 4-6, since I am thinking about converting my gearie?

Props to writing that man.

·
Registered
545 Posts
the Zen of SS

"blinglespeed" - what a perfect word! I wish I had thought of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's great

Between 3 and 4 I started to make jumps in the fitness aspect of it. I started to be able to stand as much as I wanted to, my knees didn't feel like they were going to explode when low rpm grinding and I was beginning to have enough confidence to ride my SS on any trail. I'm starting to think that a 34:16 isn't all that crazy anymore.... :D

·
Fight the Kakistocracy!
259 Posts
But it goes to eleven

You forgot about going fixed, Rudi has them all down. I think he rides until he gets inspired about whatever painting he is working on.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Nice solid 6 with shades of 7

paqrat said:

7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a püssy about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.
I'm solidly entrenched at 6 based on my thursday morning post ride conversation with Diamond Dave, my racing partner for this weekend's Rapture in Misery...

Dave: I'm planning on cleaning my bike for the race, how about you.

Ken: I need to get to the LBS and pick up a tube. I have a slow leak in my rear tire that I need to change out before the race.

Dave: So that's your race prep for your bike, huh?

Ken: Pretty much. I may knock some of the mud off it and lube the drive train.

Dave: When I said clean my bike, I meant that I would lube the drive train, but I'll see how motivated I am.

Dave and I are both sitting solidly at 6. There is a variation of Step 7 that I fall in to:

7. Old and weak SSer - You're getting old, your back kills you before, during and after every ride. Your legs and lungs tend to fail you when you ride on trails with elevations above 1000 feet. You grudglingly admit that you're not man enough to ride a SS in Colorado or Utah for more than a day without blowing up. You purchase a FS geared bike that's pretty blinged up for epic rides and epic trips that you're to big a pûssy to handle on your SS. 95% of the time, the FS geared bike is a $3,500 boat anchor sitting neglected in your garage. You can't sell it because you need the crutch when you ride out of state trails, but for most of the riding that you do, your preference is the SS.

This definition of #7 puts me at a solid 6.5.

Ken

·
Registered
380 Posts
Classic post.

That should be part of the SS FAQ.

I, for one, sit squarely on Phase 4. I ride a SS conversion with an old rusty (though awesome) frame. Blingy parts are creeping their way in. (Did I *really* need that carbon Salsa booster?)

·
Manual4ever
151 Posts
cool list

not sure where I stand on this list...
I have one bike...was a regular 21speed XC mtb, over a couple months I turned it into what i call a 26inch bmx. The reason i SS'd it was for reliability and strength.
36x16 sometimes 38x16... i did run it at 42x16 but needed too much run-up for some jumps.
I will never ride a geared bike again. :D

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
Also a 6+

I'm not ready to sell off the geared bike in favor of SS only, but I'm leaning dangerously close. Plus I'm with Keni in KC on the "too old" thing. Got my arse handed to me out at the ND-NAG by riding the SS the first two rides. Craaazy harsh - had to use the FS crutch the rest of the weekend.

I stripped a lot of parts off my swank custom-built geared HT to build a new Surly frame. That got stolen so I used the insurance $$ for a sweeet Spot. Now I'm slowly putting parts back on the gearie so I can ride it a few months and sell it to pay for a high-zoot 24" wheeled Specialized FS bike for my 7 year old.

At this point he and I are neck-in-neck at 2:1 SS versus geared

Me: Spot SS
Peugoet fixie
RM Slayer gearie

Him: Haro mini vert bike SS
GT mini BMX racer SS
Trek 220 gearie

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.