Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,513 Posts
I'm a techno-weenie, and I'm saving my pennies for GX AXS, because I love that stuff. I started a thread a while back about the feasibility/availability of professionally guided suspension tuning...
This might be a reason to someday swap my much loved DSD-tuned Fox36 and DPX2 for a Zeb and Super Deluxe.

What say you?

Triangle Bicycle part Automotive exterior Font Engineering

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm no suspension guru, so my thoughts may not carry much weight.

On one hand, if the system works the way its described, I can see how that would help make longer travel bikes act a bit more like short travel bikes.

On the other hand, I really don't care for the idea of having to recharge another 3 batteries just to go out and ride. The spindle sensor only currently works with dub, and they also say it adds 0.7lbs to the bike. Currently it looks like the price isn't known, but the other article mentions that the flight attendant model of the Specialized Enduro was $2k more than the previous model. So maybe they add ~$1-2k to the price of the bike.

As a cheapskate through and through, I don't see myself dropping $2k on this anytime soon, barring some sort of life changing experience on a demo ride. But, I'm also not offended by the idea, or its execution. Just doesn't seem like it will likely be something I am seriously interested in at this exact moment.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,621 Posts
I can't get the idea out of my head that the data collected by the required RS app will somehow end up being sold to advertisers who will then show me pop up ads based on things I've said during rides.
Already happens, but it's (mostly) Facebook and Google doing it. Then there's all the info willingly even with 'frequent shopper' cards ;)

Actually, I think the automation, as described, is pretty cool. We've already started to see similar items on motor vehicles, figured it'd be a matter of time before it scaled down (form factor wise) to put it on bicycles. Whether I'll ever run it? Donno. I just built my last bike for a while.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,050 Posts
I'm a techno-weenie, and I'm saving my pennies for GX AXS, because I love that stuff. I started a thread a while back about the feasibility/availability of professionally guided suspension tuning...
This might be a reason to someday swap my much loved DSD-tuned Fox36 and DPX2 for a Zeb and Super Deluxe.

What say you?

Yes, but with Screwed up damping, so they can release a new version the next year which addresses some of the shortcomings, but screws up the air-spring, and then a follow on model that addresses those shortcomings, but screws up the damping again, then eventually they will fix the damping, but there'll be a new MindWave™ wireless version the following year that uses your brain-waves to change the suspension, thereby starting the process over again.

1633450313729.png

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already happens, but it's (mostly) Facebook and Google doing it. Then there's all the info willingly even with 'frequent shopper' cards ;)
Not to derail my own thread, but it's eerie how real this is. I had my phone in my camelbak all day on Saturday at practice for the next day's enduro race. There was multiple inches of snow on the upper stages and my buddy and I had multiple conversations about how I wished I had a front fender. Being from Phoenix, a fender is literally the last thing I have ever considered needing.
Today- BOOM. my google ads is drowning me in MuckyNutz ads.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
Oh look, something to keep me from playing with suspension knobs

let me reach down and set the bias to firmer for this section of trail

LOL....crap

Reactions: stripes

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
Vid: "The whole idea here it to turn your sluggish enduro bike into an efficient pedaling machine."

Me: "I'm fine with the way my bike pedals. I wish the electronic doodads would set my fork & shock for optimum DH performance."

That is, assuming I'd want electronic doodads on my bike. Which at this point I don't.
=sParty

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
Hard to imagine how many meetings were held in order to define the parameters of what this new tech could/should do. And then how many more to get it off the ground and running.

AND THEN think of the hours spent in R&D, prototyping, benchmarking, fine tuning, and ultimately production.

Sort of amazing.

All that said, the prices of the bikes it comes on is just astounding. $10-$12k?! Don't think I've ever even spent half that on a bike.

If I had $10k to burn I'd knock a chunk off my mortgage, or buy a beater vehicle for running errands/winter.

I think the bottom line is that I am simply not the target demographic for this product.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
I've always thought suspension was a constant compromise. If you set it for high speed, it doesn't work great at low speed. If you set it for big hits, it's mushy when you pedal. The electronics might correct all that.
Not interested, though.

-F

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
Not to mention one more thing to charge or find dead in the middle of a ride.

This may sound odd coming from a guy that owns an ebike, but I don't want a bicycle with myriad electronic doohickeys on board that require charging. (I said bicycle.)

In that regard, my Garmin is more than enough.
=sParty

·
Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
330 Posts
I can't get the idea out of my head that the data collected by the required RS app will somehow end up being sold to advertisers who will then show me pop up ads based on things I've said during rides.
"Find FuckBollocksBastards in Your Local Area!"

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.