Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
clueless
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionaly mentioned this article in threads about "how-to-combine-suntour-shimano-etc." because I think it's the best you'll find about these subjects.
up to now there was just a german version availiable. I want to spread this knowledge a bit further, so I asked the author if there is a chance getting an english version.

Now in english, please enjoy!

appendixes are welcome, please use as subject: tripod suntour FAQ. contact information you'll find here.

ciao
flo

·
Registered
183 Posts
xc pro tumbies and xt/xtr 8 sp cassette?

Thanks for the reference. Im having a difficult time reading if the last suntour xc pro thumb shifters (7/8 speed) will have a problem with a current Xt ro XTR rear cassette - anybody know about this

floibex said:
I occasionaly mentioned this article in threads about "how-to-combine-suntour-shimano-etc." because I think it's the best you'll find about these subjects.
up to now there was just a german version availiable. I want to spread this knowledge a bit further, so I asked the author if there is a chance getting an english version.

Now in english, please enjoy!

appendixes are welcome, please use as subject: tripod suntour FAQ. contact information you'll find here.

ciao
flo

·
Registered
97 Posts
SunTour's 7- and 8-speed cassettes use the same distance between sprockets - Shimano made their 8-speed stuff narrower ... that means: No, XC Pro shifters and derailleurs won't work well with Shimano cassettes.

:)
sorry

·
Registered
183 Posts
xc

Thanks for the info - unfortunately I have been trying to build a bike around this combo? I have it on my hardtail and it seemed to work initially, but it got quickly out of tune and I assumed it had to do with a bent rear d., but wanted to double-check. The website above seemed disconcerting so I thought I should ask. I lot of people rave about using the xc-pro thumbies with the xtr - at least in the forums - does that make any sense - could it work, but just require exact tuning???

thanks

ben

·
Registered
97 Posts
You want to combine XC Pro shifters with XTR derailleurs?

Well, floibex' source says, that "a Suntour shifter with a Shimano derailler will give you 7 positions in the range of the smaller 5 or 6 sprockets of a 7 speed cassette" - in other words: NO.

:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
THnaks for your repsonse. Is it possible that the last xc-pro 7/8 shifters were different - I think they had been bought out by then - I think its the SR Suntour or somehting along those lines? They are a hot item it seems and I was assuming people were using them in a index mode, not friciton.

thanks again

ben

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Suntour did offer shimano spaced thumbies in the last years (1993 to about 1995) but lord knows where they ended up. There was no actual difference in outward appearance between them and their own spaced versions.

I run suntour xc-pro, comp and expert thumbies on just about all my bikes, and only a couple are with suntour derailleurs and none are with suntour cogsets currently.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Theory and Practice Are Different Though

The floating top pully in Shimano derailleurs can make up for just about any minor incompatibility in Shimano-SunTour parts. I personally have never had any compatibility issues between XC-Pro or XC-Expert parts and Shimano XT or XTR, or Campy parts.
XC-Pro shifters + XTR r derailleru + XTR cassette=no problem
Campy Shifters +XC-Pro derailleur + Shimano cassette=no problem
XC-Pro shifters + Campy derailleur + Campy cassette=no problem
Etc, Etc....

No modifications to any parts. Just bolt it up and go.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Shayne said:
The floating top pully in Shimano derailleurs can make up for just about any minor incompatibility in Shimano-SunTour parts. I personally have never had any compatibility issues between XC-Pro or XC-Expert parts and Shimano XT or XTR, or Campy parts.
XC-Pro shifters + XTR r derailleru + XTR cassette=no problem
Campy Shifters +XC-Pro derailleur + Shimano cassette=no problem
XC-Pro shifters + Campy derailleur + Campy cassette=no problem
Etc, Etc....

No modifications to any parts. Just bolt it up and go.
Exactly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts